1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Yankey OL Stanford

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Jan 17, 2014.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm thinking that he can play his old position OT or play of course OG, his current position. Good size, strength, very good feet, aggressive, active and a mauler. Heck of a run blocker and he moves very well, looks like a natural athlete. He gets out well on the good old second level and he just looks like he's be a good piece for our OL, at best OT and I think a sure fire OG. He's #54:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAiq05nO89o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX-3PH5cnmc

You can get an idea of his aggressiveness here at :09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRcKwG-Terw

I'd definiitely consider him or Trai Turner from LSU in the 2nd round, I'm still trying to figure out if he's worth the #19 pick. Not quite sure about that, but I like him quite a bit.

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I feel a little bit iffy about drafting a guy for an outside zone heavy scheme who you can't watch doing it, regardless of athleticism. I want to see someone staying on a block while moving and being able to create a seam even if they're not getting a lot of up-field movement. You've got to be enough of an athlete to qualify but there's other stuff, I think.

3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Here's the guy you want, Pate. Weston Richburg. Just move him to guard.
    Plus he's a boss in pass protection.
    I'd have Richburg and Billy Turner as my 2 Oline targets back to back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

[video=youtube;KsAk6wDXnYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsAk6wDXnYw[/video]

[video=youtube;cGaPDr_-MiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGaPDr_-MiA[/video]

4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Richburg looks nasty, plus unusually quick feet and athletic for a Center. Looks like he could play anywhere on the line, actually. Good call, add him to the list- about what round is he projected for?

5. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I believe he's viewed as a 3rd by some places but to me he looks like he could go as early as mid to late 2nd like Unger, Kalil, and Konz. He did a nice job even against Bama IMO. Thought he looked better against them than Travis Swanson to be honest.

I like some of the other guard prospects too but for me personally I'd rather get a tackle in the 2nd round [namely Turner] and then hope for Richburg in the 3rd, so that might eliminate Yankey and Su'a-Filo from consideration.

6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I could live with this:

1. Kouandjio
    2. Yankey or Trai Turner
    3. Richburg
    4. James Gayle
    5. Maybe the LT who's been mentioned on this site a lot, Billy Turner, or Wesley Johnson who;s been mentioned here, or maybe take a shot on Santreal Henderson if he falls. Turner probably rises though due to athleticism.

That's a lot of OL, but we have no OL besides Pouncey. Kouandjio might be a LT and can certainly play RT. Yankey can play OT or maul at OG, probably the same for Trai Turner. Just a first guess, but I could see Richmond pretty much anywhere on the line if need be, probably getting his chance to start at OG. Do you put him at Center and make Pouncey a pulling Guard? Probably not, but who knows. Henderson is a RT or OG.

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Tough question. I was asking myself that already but couldn't come up with a solid answer. Perhaps we'd ask Pouncey how he feels about it. If he thinks guard would be a demotion then I'd keep him at center. If not, then maybe we go with Richburg at center who seems surprisingly stout for a 300 pounder, perhaps more so than Pouncey.

IMO Billy Turner's flexibility to play tackle or guard would make him enticing in the 2nd round [maybe after a trade down], depending on how he does Senior Bowl week.

I like Trai Turner too. Wouldn't mind having a mauler mixed in provided he can still hold his own with the zone stuff.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Trai Turner is a mauler. If we got him and Yankey we'd be set at Guard. Draft Kouandjio at #19 and sign Anthony Collins in FA- ta dah, you now have an actual OL.

I always focused on Billy Turner's feet and athleticism, I never once thought about him as an OG, I don;t look at him as a mauler/road grader type. If he lasted until say the 5th round, he could be groomed as the LT of the future and Anthony Collins becomes the here and now. Will Billy Turner pan out? Who knows, but I can say that athletically he looks very impressive, we'll see how he stands up to better competition. Sean Hickey is pretty quick at LT as well, but I question his stoutness.

I've said this before, but the only things that I know about Billy Turner and Wesley Johnson come from this site and some youtube clips. Some things are unmistakable though, and Billy Turner is quite athletic for a big LT.

9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    How about a trade back in the 1st for an extra 3rd and then trade back the 2nd for an extra 4th? There's some nice value in the 3rd round that fits our needs, like one of those running backs. Maybe Stanford FS Ed Reynolds slips to the 3rd.... or Zach Thomas 2.0 Chris Borland.... Dominique Easley to fill the closed right end job.... Princeton stud DT Caraun Reid who could impressively rise following Senior Bowl week...... DaQuan Jones.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'd be up for a trade of #19 for a 2 and a 3 if there isn't value left at OL at #19 and no other player really stands out. Then you'd have a better chance to get a Yankey, Trai Turner and maybe a James Gayle, Richburg and Billy Turner. If we got a LT in FA like Anthony Collins the pressure will obviously be lessened as per fixing the current disaster of an OL, having 2 2's and 2 3's works for me. Just have a GM better than Jeff Ireland calling the shots on those picks.

11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    My focus is on James Gayle at De, with Dion Jordan moving to OLB where he belongs. Gayle just has that look to me, pretty physical, prototypical 4/3 DE size and has that burst that I love to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86bQEkRiaQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BY2TX9clKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8ZFjsp85s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVci37IQ17w

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Stanford...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yes, the same school that produced Andrew Luck and David DeCastro. Who cares.

14. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
  15. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
  16. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Also, Greg Camarillo.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

17. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Again, I'm not sure what your point is.

18. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I looked Greg Camarillo. But for every Camarillo, we've picked up a Martin along the way. I'll give ya Luck and Harbaugh but Decastro and Fleener have been over rated.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

19. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Do you not like Stanford because of some college football rivary, or do you have something to suggest Stanford players don't perform as well as professionals in some sort of way that concisely links them together?

20. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Could there possibly be ill feelings from Stanford grads about the Dolphins after the Martin situation?

21. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Just to bump this, I think David Yankey becomes a bit more of an interesting selection to the Dolphins with Bill Lazor as OC and in view of his college offense.

He used a lot of pulls and traps, and very much believes in the idea of pulling a guard on play-action. Stanford does the latter with Yankey fairly often, which I think is a nice little bit of symmetry.

22. ConvenientTruth

ConvenientTruth Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Florida
    Yankey is not a bad choice, but there are other guys (XSF) who could do as well that can be found in the second...(if XSF doesn't continue his rise...)

23. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'd be happy with Yankee at pulling guard at Trai Turner for some power, that and at least one OT like Koundjio or Lewan. Depends on who falls, I'm still wondering in what round Morgan Moses is likely to go, probably 2nd. Weston Richburg would work in combo with Brandon Thomas as well.