1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peyton Manning says Bill Belichick will go down as the greatest NFL coach ever

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by NaboCane, Jan 15, 2014.

1. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Would be nice if they didnt destroy the evidence though ;)

finyank13 and MikeHoncho like this.
  2. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Uh huh. He'll go down as a few other things too....

3. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Not sure I agree with this. It's too hard to compare coaches between eras. Would Lombardi, Knoll, Halas, Brown, Landry, Walsh, etc. al. be able to be productive in the salary cap parity of today's NFL? Some of those older guys were working with less overall talent by far than any Patriots roster since Belichick got there. Not to mention stumbling upon the luckiest darn pick in the last 30 years- that helped just a little. Top 5? Yeah, I could go with that (as much as I dislike him as an individual). #1? Not so fast, Mr. Manning...

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Walsh will be number one unless the Patriots win another bowl.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    BB sucks balls ok, he likes cheating, he likes doing all the unwritten **** that other coaches dont do....he is a clown....he is lucky he has had Brady this whole time...

Peyton did well not to start up controversy here.....

Fin D likes this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I spoke with a colleague of mine (Not a Dolphins fan) yesterday who also works in statistics. He said statistically speaking Bill Belichick's sustained success is statistically impossible looking at all the uncontrollable factors in the salary cap NFL era. You can look at this one or 2 ways -

1. He really is the greatest coach of all time. A God like coach.

2. He's a proven cheater who is still cheating.

Regarding the evidence from the first scandal: My guess is it was damning and would have put a huge asterisk on their superbowl victories. The league took the easy way out and destroyed it. Some of you may think this sounds like crazy talk but I'm still holding out hope that Bill Belichick will be busted again and the league won't be able to ignore it this time.

7. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Eh let's not pretend like Belichick is the only one who's ever done this, he's just the only one that got caught. Even Zach Thomas has said he did everything to get an advantage including getting audio before to try to read plays.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Manning is just doing what Belichick does before a game and that's praise the opposition, whether you mean it or not.

He cheated. He got caught red handed. He hasn't won a SB since getting caught. His first coaching stint was disastrous. He lucked up and found a great QB late in the draft.

All of those FACTS cast his credentials in a dubious light.

finyank13 likes this.
  9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    They haven't drafted well since Pioli left either, since he has been czar of the draft too...I mean great Coach dont get me wrong, lets not eat his anus though....

Fin D likes this.
  10. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    “We didn’t lose the game because of any 'Spygate,' because of them having any additional things,” Cowher told 93.7 The Fan on Wednesday. “[If] they’re guilty of anything they’re guilty of arrogance because they were told not to do something but it was something everybody does. They got caught doing it with a camera.”

Cowher, who coached the Steelers from 1992-2006, said what the Patriots did happened regularly in the NFL before the league allowed coordinators to relay plays to their quarterback and defensive signal-caller via a helmet radio.

“Stealing someone’s signals was a part of the game and everybody attempted to do that. We had people that always tried to steal signals,” said Cowher, whose 2004 team won 16 consecutive games before losing to the Patriots in the AFC title game. “What happened when we lost that game is they outplayed us. It had nothing to do with stealing signals or cheating or anything else.”

Jimmy Johnson "But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don't know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this."

NaboCane likes this.
  11. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Brady wouldn't be Brady without Belichick and Belichick wouldn't be Belichick without Brady.

gilv13 and NaboCane like this.
  12. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    The reason they haven't done well lately is that they lost Brady's 3 favorite and top-producing targets, and I don't care who you are, That's gonna leave a mark.

The other reason is that Belichick foolishly went away from the 3-4 and switched to a 4-3—a Defense which essentially became obsolete the minute Bill Arnsparger trotted out Bob Matheson as a fourth LB.

13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    That argument, when used against Belichick, just slays me. On the floor, rolling, laughing 'til I cry.

Does anyone EVER take anything away from Shula because he had Griese? Or Noll because he had Bradshaw? Or...you could go on and name every winning HC ever, but it would be tiring.

14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Fin-Omenal likes this.
  15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    finyank13 likes this.
  16. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!

You shut your whore mouth!

17. bigmac62

bigmac62 New Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I can't agree with that at all. First off, the coaching pantheon is stacked already (Halas, Lombardi, etc.). For Belichick to sneak in on his merits so far, much less be called the GOAT, is absolutely ridiculous.

Speaking of his merits, Spygate took a lot of the shine off. When they look at that controversy in the future, they'll ask, "Well, what would have happened had he not done that?" The answer: probably only a couple less wins, but maybe a couple less Super Bowl trophies too. The fact that he hasn't won any Super Bowls since Spygate just tarnishes everything further.

I'd say maybe top 10 or 15 of all time, but GOAT? Not at all.

18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    How does not winning SB's since tarnish anything? People act like it's easy... The Pats have been great for over a decade. It's unheard of in this era. He's gotten the Pat to 2 SB and brought them to 5 additional AFC championship games. BB is one of the greatest ever.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  19. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    5 superbowls. 8 AFC championships.