1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judge Ruling Reopens Settlement Case - Long Term Damage to NFL?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Da 'Fins, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    This lawsuit could ultimately create radical changes with the league. And, possibly ruin the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10295307/attorney-blasts-concussion-deal-recommend-clients-continue-sue-nfl

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10292549/judge-rejects-preliminary-approval-765-million-nfl-settlement-concussion-case

Not only might the league have to dole out a lot more money - which it can probably handle - even if it reached 2-3 billion - it would be a bite into their situation.

At the same time, the rules will become even more heavy handed against players initiating hits - which could also significantly change the way the game is played - to the point it operates more like flag football.

This is a big problem for the quality of the game and the history of it.

I think a major issue that the NFL really has done little to curb - is the problem of performance enhancing drugs. I think the NFL has winked at this largely because it did not really impact historic records (as baseball's PED usage did). But, the increased speed and size of players - a player can be a 280 lb DE and have the athleticism of a 190 lb. CB or S from 40 years ago (even more so). Whatever anyone says, that makes a huge difference in concussion issues.

It is a great irony that the current players hate the rules against tackling with the helmet and find it very frustrating, yet, the retired players expect the NFL to ensure they are cared for in spite of their concussions. These are two perspectives that are essentially working against one another.

This is not to go "tough guy" and defend the league in any way. But, there is a reality of "buyer-beware" with any player who enters the NFL. But, I also understand the need to protect the players. It's an on-going problem that I don't see being resolved any time soon as players become more athletic and larger in size.

NaboCane likes this.