1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Extra early Dolphins mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by PittPhinFan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. PittPhinFan

PittPhinFan New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    FA: Anthony Collins- LT CIN, Jon Asamoah- G KC, Andre Brown- RB NYG (Power back, good pass blocker)

Resign: Soliai, Grimes, Clemons, Carroll

Trade down and acquire extra 2nd

1. Taylor Lewan- T Michigan (RT)
    2. Troy Niklas- TE Notre Dame (Seam buster, red zone threat)
    2. Christian Jones- LB FSU (High ceiling, athletic, versatile)
    3. Kelcy Quarles- DT South Carolina (Interior pass rush, high potential, dt depth)
    4. Bryan Stork- C FSU (Move Pouncey to LG)
    5. Brandon Linder- G Miami (Versatile, 6'6'' 317, depth)
    7. Nickoe Whitley- FS Mississippi State (Safety depth)

Do we have a 6th rounder after the McKinnie signing?

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Boy what I wouldn't give for that 1-2 combination in Rounds 1 and 2.

gilv13 and sports24/7 like this.
  3. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Love the top, but I'd really like to see the Dolphins capitalize on what appears to be very strong/deep HB and WR classes.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    About this free agency activity...the one thing I'd keep in mind because I see a lot of Jon Asamoah in peoples' mock free agency is that he's probably set to be paid quite a bit. He's 26 years old, a former 3rd round pick, has been starting since his second year and has been getting really strong grades the entire time.

It's not like people in the NFL aren't going to know who Jon Asamoah is. Because of his age there will be an assumption that he only gets better from here. I don't know about "breaking the bank" but he could very well be the highest paid guard on the market. And the Chiefs could also make every effort to keep hold of him. The franchise tag may be cheap for guards. This is a really bare market for guards in free agency. He's the top guy. He's going to get priced up.

I think if you're going to dip into the free agent class at guard then you have to look for someone with a little more stink on them. Geoff Schwartz should have been a Dolphin in 2013 but he's a free agent again after performing really well in Kansas City. Yet the contract he got in KC was just $700k for one year. You're not typically going to see NFL people comfortable with a 1 year/$700k guy turning into a 5 year/$30 million guy overnight. There will be a reluctance there. Yet if you really paid attention to how he's done over the years, the guy has played well going back to his days in Carolina. There's something there be it injury or character related that keeps teams nervous about giving him money...which is something you find in a guy like Antwan Barnes as well. But that doesn't mean you couldn't grab him and get pretty good guard play out of him.

There's something stank in Geoff Schwartz' locker and the Dolphins could get him without a big contract because of it. But they could still be getting a good performer.

I'm not sure there's another guard I'd look at on this market unless it's Rodger Saffold to convert to right guard. Maybe Shelley Smith, whom I've liked since the draft.

5. PittPhinFan

PittPhinFan New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What you wouldnt give?? What dont you like about Lewan at right tackle and Niklas?

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That phrasing tends to mean he really likes those picks.

ckparrothead likes this.
  7. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Extremely unlikely we'd be able to pick up an extra 2nd by trading down from the #19 spot, but still would like if your first two picks were our 1st and 2nd.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The kicker is that Lewan might be able to play LT in the NFL. Same questions as per Jake Long- big dude, power run blocker, pretty darned good in college pass pro but not the most nimble guy with the best feet. His feet are pretty good, he moves pretty well, but I don't think that he's a sure thing as a LT. I was pretty adamant 5 years ago or so that Jake Long could play LT- I'm hopeful with Lewan, just not as sure. Pooer man's Jake Long, that sums up Lewan pretty well. That being said, I'd be glad to have him, especially for our mess of an offensive line.