1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our 1st rounder

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by PittPhinFan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. PittPhinFan

PittPhinFan New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    We are kind of in a tough spot picking at 19 with the only elite linemen (Robinson) definitely unreachable. Depending on what we do in free agency. I would like to go after one of the elite skill position players. Ideally hopefully we can pick up at least 2 quality starting linemen in FA (preferably 1 OT, and 1 OG). We dont have the luxury of going after a need like oline WE NEED TO GO BPA with as many holes as we have. Here are some options I could see us pursuing in the 1st that could fall to pick 19.

TE: Jace Amaro. I like him a little more than Ebron FOR US because he has more of the size you look at in your #1 TE. Clay is a nice asset but he's more of a Hernandez #2 mismatch TE/H-Back. Amaro can split out, catch screens, break tackles, and go down the seam and burn LB's. He's a good red zone threat which we primarily need.

MLB: CJ Mosley. Now we all know Wheeler is garbage. You might say we have a need at OLB but who takes an weakside linebacker in round 1? I know if we released Wheeler we would face a cap hit around 3 mil but it's worth it. We could move Ellerbe to OLB his true best position IMO (Ravens) and then we still have the depth with Jenkins who should be better in his 2nd year. CJ Mosley from Alabama is that Instinctive, versatile linebacker that we havn't had since Zac and he could step in from day 1 and be our leader.

DT: Now if we let both Starks and Soliai walk, this will be an obvious need and we'd probably go this way in round 1. Ra'Shede Hageman. 6'6'' 311 dominating 2 gap player that can also collapse the pocket. This guy stops the run like Soliai but is a mountain and is athletic. Our dline would be instantly top 3.

WR: Believe it or not YES Wide Receiver! If someone like Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans falls to us it's bang bang! They are difference making #1 receivers we need for Tannehill. Hartline is good but he offers no explosiveness after the catch and is not a red zone threat. Plus with our new offense the new GM might want a true #1 guy for Tannehill.

Trade down: This would be something I wouldn't be against doing if the elite playmakers/difference makers are gone. This way we would get an extra 2nd round pick which we could really use.

Which player would you guys want at 19? For me personally it's gotta be CJ Mosley. Our run defense has fallen off this year because our linebackers aren't instinctive and always shoot the wrong gaps/can't tackle. Mosley would make our whole front 7 that much better. Plus he's an exceptional cover linebacker in zone and man.

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think T may largely depend on what we do in FA. I like Amaro, Mosley, a DT or a WR. I really like Shane Skov and he should be available in the 2nd or maybe even third. My opinion of his availability come closer to draft time may make me address another position in the first and target him later. I don't think he's as good as Mosley, but I think he's a nice fit and still very good in his own right.

sports24/7 likes this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It's not going to be a LB, I know that. Not with the contracts we have right now invested into the position. Anything else but LB, DE, and QB is probably fair game. Even WR probably won't see a pick in the 1st.

It's so hard to know who is going to be available at 19 right now with underclassmen still declaring and post-season games/practices still to go. Plus our needs can change drastically with FA.

I'd love Amaro or Ebron for us though. Then again, I'd love Egnew to be used more in the pass game too.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I thought in his limited time Egnew showed the was a completely different player than in his rookie season. He showed some real toughness making some nice grabs and blocking wise he wasnt a world beater, but he was improved there as well.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  5. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    For us to consider Amaro...........can he actually block and be effective on the line? We already have Clay who really isn't much of a blocker. We stick Amaro in there also and if he can't block it's going to be hard to get them both on the field at the same time.

It'll cost over $10 million each in dead money to cut our LB's........just isn't going to happen. Coyle is either going to have to adjust his scheme to fit the LB's better or it will be attacked all season.

6. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I don't think that's what Amaro's role is though. His role early on is going to be chipping as an in-line TE and playing in the slot. He's going to do the most damage as a slot WR/TE in the beginning. TTU actually started using him on the line later in the year, so that's the blue print in the NFL too. Start of in the slot, get him in a position to get YAC and create mismatches and then bring his blocking along. However, I'm not sure I trust the coaching staff to be creative with their use of players including someone like Amaro.

Or you could just draft the all around package and go with Troy Niklas.

7. PittPhinFan

PittPhinFan New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wasnt aware Niklas declared but yes I would like him or Fiedorowicz in the 2nd.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think the Dolphins may have to make a decision on Mike Wallace.

If you decide he's worth $12 million in 2016 and then $13.7 million in 2017 and 2018, then you pretty much are avoiding the wide receiver position, especially in the 1st round.

But if you decide there's a good chance that in 2015 we're going to jettison him as he's not worth that amount of money...then it wouldn't hurt to plan in advance of that, and that means opening up the #19 overall pick to the entire board of who might be the best available player, which could very well be a wide receiver.

I think the board is open to the tight end position regardless. It is also open to the defensive tackle position, as well as running back, tackle, guard, linebacker (any of the three positions), safety and corner.

Essentially the only positions that ideally would be ruled out from consideration would be quarterback and defensive end.

There's obviously need at tackle and guard as well as defensive tackle and running back, but I don't like the idea of pegging draft picks for need. It's been a source of discomfort with Jeff Ireland's way of doing things for a long time. I understand you can't be a BPA purist, but you also can't be an unapologetic need picker either.

The way the board LOOKS like it's going to shake out right now, there could be a little bit of a lull in the value at the offensive tackle and guard positions. At pick #19 you could be picking too late to get your hands on guys like Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson and Taylor Lewan, but perhaps you're not as comfortable with Cyrus Kouandjio, Billy Turner or Morgan Moses that high. I'm usually not ever in favor of a guard like Cyril Richardson that high.

At defensive tackle you're going to potentially have a shot at Ra'Shede Hageman, Aaron Donald or Timmy Jernigan. They're all really good. I will accept Jernigan's doctor's note saying he had the flu and that's why he got winded so bad against Auburn.

At wide receiver I think you count yourself lucky if Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins fell to your pick. At that point perhaps the Mike Wallace decision gets made for you. If they're not available (and I doubt they will be) then you might have a little more of a debate on your hands about the merits of Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson and Kelvin Benjamin.

Then we're back to the tight ends Jace Amaro, Troy Niklas and Eric Ebron.

I'm not a buyer on this idea of C.J. Mosley being such a good linebacker prospect that you get him at #19 overall. I like him. I don't love him. I think his popularity at the moment amongst Dolphins fans is a counter-swing reaction against the horrible play of Ellerbe and Wheeler.

I think you legitimately have to look at Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. He's worth consideration.

So let's tally it up, listed in order of how I think the NFL will value the players:

RB: Tre Mason
    TE: Eric Ebron, Jace Amaro, Troy Niklas
    WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Marqise Lee
    OT: Cyrus Kouandjio, Morgan Moses, Billy Turner
    DT: Ra'Shede Hageman, Timmy Jernigan, Aaron Donald
    LB: C.J. Mosley
    FS: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

9. PittPhinFan

PittPhinFan New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd like to trade down we have more holes than you'd think. Sign an FA LT like Collins then trade down and draft Lewan or Richardson. How high are you on Jeremy Hill?

10. How does garunteed money work in a trade. Does any of that money get transferred to the other team or is it negotiable?

11. Even if they are high on Wallace if the BPA is a WR @19 I would not be upset to see them go that way. It would not hurt to give RT another target and another area of the field to force defenses to respect.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    All the guaranteed money would be pushed up to the current year for the team that signed him. The new team would not be on the hook for any of it. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

shula_guy likes this.
  13. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Aside from our glaring O line issues I would love a big (tall) TE. Just think they present options. Especially one that goes after the ball aggressively.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think your view on this is a little bit utopian. I don't think it really stands up when your *** is the one that potentially gets fired at the end of the year if things don't go well. You take a third wide receiver on a team that has two 1000 yard guys already and a third guy who did surprisingly well as a third receiver until he got hurt, then you'd better have a plan for that guy you took at 19 overall to be a #1 or #2 by 2015.

In all reality if you think Mike Wallace stays, scratch the position off the board in the 1st round. It's not happening.

Mile High Fin likes this.