1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow....How long do we have to go?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Jan 12, 2014.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Just got done watching the New England - Indy game

Did you guys see the coaching and prep that went into that game

Wish our coaching staff was prepared like that

New England runs deep. Indy's not far off.

We beat these guys straight up, both of them

So what gives

Every Dolphins game I watched this year seemed disorganized and confusing

2. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    I just want this Brady era to be over....and there is no end in sight....

I'll rot for anyone as long as they kick NE out of the playoffs. I wish Ryan had a better team like Luck and Wilson do...but right now we would just embarrass ourselves out there in the wildcard round...

Hope Denver wins....I like Peyton way more than Brady, Wilson, Kaep or Newton.

Aquafin likes this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    13 years. Consistently inconsistent.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

4. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Well it would help out if we could trip guys and not get penalties called, fumble then not really fumble, mystery pass int calls, etc. Always have to beat the Pats and the refs. Don't get me wrong, Brady is a great Qb and Belicheat is a great coach, they are hard enough to beat but when you get horrible game changing, momentum killing bad calls against you it makes it rough to even think about beating them in a playoff game.

5. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Seems to me like, Unlike our coaching staff, the players are well prepared to play

Is this Bellicheck, He is not calling the plays and they have a relatively new OC in Josh McDanials

Could it be consistency in a system that works?

Kind of like plug and play

New England is second youngest team in the NFL

What is the difference??

Can we try and compare us to them

6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Patriots gameplan destroyed the Colts, take away 2-3 calls and the Patriots still win. Next week the playaction will be there big time.. I actually think the Chargers pose a bigger threat than the Broncos. Broncos defense is pretty bad...

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Helps when there's a PI on any incompletion down the field. Holding perfectly permissible for the home team.

Gillette Stadium. Kraft has his own private refs when they play there.

8. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    What's the difference? Those team are more talented, and their rosters have been managed better. They also have elite quarterbacks. Ryan may get there, but he is not there yet.

Have patience. The Dolphins finally got rid of the main problem this team had in Jeff Ireland. Things are looking up, as we will now have better roster management and talent evaluation that will work in conjunction with the head coach, which Ireland wasn't willing to do. This means better scheme fits from a talent standpoint instead of the free agent spending spree we saw this past off season.

MAFishFan, MrClean and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  9. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Yeah but the Broncos will have the game at home although Brady and Belicheat seem to have Mannings number. If the Pats can run like they did against Indy no one is beating them. With that short passing game and power running game they can beat anyone. Its just a shame that we can't seem to get a clean game when the Pats play, always some nonsense with the refs.

10. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    And who do you think asked for the spending spree to occur?

Do you believe Ross truly wants change? He was going to keep Ireland aboard.

I just don't see a new GM coming in and on short notice being able to turn the roster, if it is as bad as you say it is, into a roster that we can win with. Not when you have 8-10 weeks to prepare for the draft. Not when you have no clue who you currently have or the systems in place. it would take months and months of watching film to learn what needs to be revamped. So what ever draft occurs will probably be heavily influenced by Philbin and or Gaine. Not when now we are finding out we are locked to LB's like Ellerbe and Wheeler due to cap issues. But hey.....we can always blame Ireland next year and the year after and the year after

11. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    So who's job is it to develop Tannehill....let me guess Ireland?

Weird

12. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    We are young and inexperienced at key positions including QB. We need to give our QB an OL and some players around him that can help the offense. He also needs to get better and make more plays. We left a lot of TD's on the field. Once him and Wallace get on the same page, that could be an extra win or two.

I feel we are close and have a much better chance at getting there with a new GM.

Aquafin likes this.
  13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    How exactly do you figure Luck has more talent in Indy than Ryan does in Miami? Better OL, better RB and that's about it.

14. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I was waiting on them to rule that safety a batted ball by the Colts player, meaning a 15 yard penalty on NE and an automatic first down. as it was, ruling it a safety was incredibly fortunate. Colts should have been setup on the 2 yard line had the ball not been batted inadvertently into the endzone.

15. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

The only positions left are WR and TE.

WR is at best for us a draw when all are healthy. Maybe we get TE. Maybe.

16. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    No one is calling Luck out for 7 INTs in 2 playoff games... he plays better and they beat the Pats. He spotted them a TD to start the game with an INT.

If Tannehill had played that badly, Fin fans would be setting themselves on fire.

RevRick, MAFishFan, Hellion and 4 others like this.
  17. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Those matter. lol... Keeping your QB upright and not forcing him to carry the team solely by himself matters.

I also like TY Hilton better than most of our receivers. We have a good receiving corp, but non of them are consistently win matchups. We need to continue to upgrade this group along with the OLine.

MAFishFan likes this.
  18. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes. Ireland can be blamed for the cap issues this team has going forward. He is after all the person that signed off on those deals. Remember, Joe Philbin has no say in who i son the final 53 man roster. That is all the GM, so any mistakes made are on the GM, not the head coach.

Also, I highly doubt those decisions to spend big in free agency were Joe's decision. He does come from Green Bay's philosophy and said at his first press conference that his vision for the team is one that is built largely through the draft. Jeff went for the quick fix this off season instead of being patient and building through the draft, and previous poor drafts that were run by him created the need to spend big in free agency.

Hey, but you can continue to blame the coaching for this team's ills. Ireland has been through two coaches, and apparently, neither are good enough for you. The fact is, this team has had talent evaluation issues for the past 13 years, and that has hampered this team more than any coaching issues. The thing that you want to forget is that coaching has very little impact overall when it comes to winning. Winning is largely dictated by luck and skill. There are advanced studies that have been done on coaching effect if you would care to read them. I have posted them before. Essentially, the gist is this. If Miami's coaching was as bad as you continue to say, there is no way this team wins 8 games.

NJFINSFAN1, PhinGeneral and Ducken like this.
  19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    WR is far from a draw.

They do but Luck is consistently pressured aswell, he just does more against the rush than Ryan does wich is insane given the background of Tanny.

In my opinion this is how the WRs rank.

Wallace
    Hilton
    Hartline
    Mathews
    Brazil/Rodgers

Defensively you could say Miami has more talent at every level save LB.

Either way you put Luck in Miami right now and I 100% believe we are in the playoffs this year.

djphinfan likes this.
  20. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I think this is a totally different team with even an average NFL offensive line and a decent running back to go with Lamar Miller.

cuchulainn and Ducken like this.
  21. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    its coaching. we wont be on the pats level until we find coaching. philbin sure as hell isnt the guy. talent wasnt the problem this season. new england's roster, nor the colts' roster is more talented than ours. their coaching is better. simple as that. every team has weaknesses, coaching overcomes those.

2socks likes this.
  22. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Ryan does have a better team than the colts because the colts suck.They have a terrible defence and no running game and average wrs.Luck is the reason they made the playoffs two years in a row.
    I will give you Wilson because he is on the best team in football.

23. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    See that's where you are wrong my friend.

I have consistently said "all or none". Everyone has blame. But some folks want to ignore Philbin's blame like the last 2 games didn't occur.

You guys blame Ireland...he is your escape goat I get it. It's total bull**** and short sighted but I get it.

I got hell on this sight because I liked Sparano and I supported him.

He had heart and I was pissed he didn't get a fair shot.

Tony Sparano never got time to have a few drafts and off season's out from under the thumb of Parcells to put together a team.

Most of the people here talk about how it takes time to build a team and it doesn't happen over night

yet when things go wrong most are not willing to be patient and give people time to make adjustments and improve the team

We went backwards hired Philbin and here we are again

Philbin with Ireland have had exactly 1 season to try to put together a roster that fits what Philbin is running.

1rst season was carry over from Sparano

Now we can sit here all day long and argue back and forth about who is to blame for what but 3 facts remain:

They had one season to try and but something together

It is not Ireland's job to develop the players

The coaches **** the bed in the last 2 games which is the reason we did not make the playoffs

Now we have a owner who is trying to appease everyone including the fans who screamed for Ireland's head

But one thing will always remain true and that is if we continue down this road of not being patient and allowing things to develop this team will never get better.

We will always be the same old Miami Dolphins

24. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Thank you. Thank you. thank you.

I have said all go or none stay. Why? Because now our HC is Now handicapped trying to get players from "new" people who don't know this roster from a hole in their ***. It is a set back and it hurts our chances at success.

Now shoot me if I am wrong but it looks to me like we have enough challenges in the coaching area based on the last 2 games and other games during the season with out adding a new GM and New OC to the mix.

Chances are very very high We WILL NOT be a better team next year

25. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Well, you supported Sparano, 'nuff said. As to Ireland, his draft record is sketchy and what he did to the OL and LB crews is an abomination, that alone should have gotten him canned. Not to mention the failed Dallas Cowboy OL reclamation project, which was pathetic. Canned, demoted, whatever. He was shown the door and patted on his rear on the way out. Jeffrey- buh-bye.

NJFINSFAN1 and Ducken like this.
  26. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Fix the Oline and we'll have a better comparison. Even when not sacked, Luck doesn't get hit as much standing in the pocket and throwing. You think more of Wallace than I do. I'd have rather had a Desean Jackson type speedster. Wallace plays too passive. I like Hilton a lot. I include TEs as part of the receivers. Overall, I think Luck has the more consistent group. Wallace is weak and passive. Hartline lacks balance and strength. Clay disappears for stretches.

Agree on Defense.

Interesting... I think Tannehill would have taken the Colts to the playoffs, and played better without the 7 INTs...

27. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Tannehill would have taken and should have taken this team to the playoffs except we needed better coaching the last 2 games. Lets not forget win-less(at the time) Tampa

28. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    i hear ya, man. i just call it like i see it. sure, everyone had a right to call for ireland's job in the past. hell, i've hated him for years. but damnit, this team we have right now has talent. preseason, i though 10-6 would be minimum expectations. mike sherman and joe philbin and the rest of the offensive coaching staff were the weak links on this team. our offensive game planning, playcalling, and overall lack of executing the fundamentals is the fault of coaching. has nothing to do with talent this year. and with philbin coming back and i dont expect any improvement. he brings nothing to the table. he reminds me of leslie frazier, another quiet, bland head coach who was utterly useless.

29. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    You realize you're just pissing into the wind, don't you?

30. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    To add to that:

Philbin will now find it more difficult to get what he needs unless the GM is a rookie who doesn't care. The GM must be willing to do what Philbin and Aponte tell him to do which is what Ross means by "working together"

The only road to success from here is multi-year. With that being the case I have seen enough and would prefer to start from scratch

31. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    His play in the playoffs was inexcusable, my point is I don't see Ryan only throwing 9 ints in the regular season that would help get them there.

It's hard for me to put much heat on Mike Wallace when I saw him behind elite DB's on a consistent basis this year.

Sceeto likes this.
  32. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    true. we could hire the greatest gm in the world and he could bring in the best talent in the world. it means nothing if your coaches dont put the talent in positions to succeed. and, anyone who thinks coaching doesnt play a major role in winning, look at the philadelhia eagles or auburn tigers. neither made significant player changes from their previous 3 win seasons from 2011. both changed coaches and in 1 season, philly won 10 games and auburn won 11. competent coaching makes a hell of a difference.

33. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I hate it because my posts are so negative sometimes.

I hope we do awesome this up coming season. I hope they all prove me wrong.

Our line with ineffective coaching was our downfall this year

I am concerned about what i am reading about Ellerbe and Wheeler. Seems like we are stuck with them next year which means the defense probably will not improve. Couple that with Grimes needs a contract and contracts and the cap is going to be a challange. Going to be hard to improve this team. But we already got guys saying it's Ireland's fault (for next year) LOL

34. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    A while, probably. The Dolphins have been on the same level as the Bills/Browns/Lions since I turned around 13, why should I expect it to change anytime soon. Sure, at least they had some winning seasons in the beginning, but they either missed the playoffs with a team loaded with pro bowlers, or got blown out in the first round because they didn't have coaching.

35. 1. Philbin needs to improve
    2. Tannehill needs to improve his accuracy

Everything else is secondary on the priority list. The Dolphins do not play with the confindence that they are never out of the game. Hopefully a new OC is going to go a long way toward fixing that.

Watching the games last week and you it never felt like the colts or the packers were out of it. Yesterday you can say the same about the colts and the saints. They fight hard till the end. They make plays when they need them. They rebound from bad calls. They do the things winners do to win.

Sadly the Dolphins are not there yet. They have talent but they choke under pressure. I was excited after the Pitt game. I thought they finally turned a corner and they regressed when it mattered the most.

Bpk and 2socks like this.
  36. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Going to be hard when we are in the same division as the New England Patriots

After what I saw them do to Indy...man look out

I haven't seen a team run the ball like that in a long time.

37. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    You mean the team we beat the second time around?

This is what makes me think that all is not lost, even with the losses to the Jills and JEST.

38. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    It's exactly what makes me think we are lost. Because we obviously have the talent

It's the coaching we don't have.

And we have now positioned our selves to let these very coaches Hire more coaches and pretty much dictate next years player acquisitions through the draft and free agency

39. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Luck isnt quite elite yet. 7 int's in these last two playoff games. The main reason they are in the playoffs is because of their extremely ****ty division.

40. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    They sure ran a Buzz saw thru Kansas City