1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Free Agent Tracker

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/07/2014-pff-free-agency-tracker/

Grimes and Starks top their positions. Clemons and Soliai ranked high.

These guys are going to command a tremendous amount of cap space to re-sign.

I am starting to write them out my mock offseasons.

Big contracts given to players in their thirties have hurt a lot of good teams in the past.

On the other hand, there does appear to be some great depth at some positions of need in free agency.

Do you guys see a rookie GM giving big contracts to our free agent veterans???

Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If we don't resign grimes, we may set a new record for passing yards given up next season.

54Fins and jw3102 like this.
  3. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

4. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If he won't sign a reasonable contract, I think that he gets tagged. We can't go into next season with zero known quantities at CB.

Phins_Fan_87 likes this.
  6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Starks walks. Grimes stays. Soliai probably stays. Clemons I have no idea

8. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Gotta lock up Grimes. He earned a big contract. I would keep Starks not Paul(better pass rush). Would easily replace Clemons.

9. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    The only way to lock him up is to tag him. It's going to be at least 11.3 mil this year for CB's.

The team sign a RT,a OG, and re-sign Nolan Carroll with that kind of money.

Do we really want to spend nearly 12 mil in cap on a 31 year old CB?

10. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
  11. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    What are you talking about? I said he's earned a big contract, meaning multiple years.

12. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    And then someone else signs him, he plays great there and then we are stuck with garbage corners and we give up huge yards on the pass....then we look like big clowns....same old cycle.

13. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I could see us losing all of these guys to big contracts. Most are at that point where you probably have to overpay to keep them and with a new GM here I don't know if he will want to do that. This is kinda why you extend guys to reasonable contracts instead of letting them hit the open market. Well run teams don't let their all pro players in their prime hit the open market. Grimes is a special case because he was coming off of injury and signed a one year deal but the other guys could have been extended reasonably a year or so ago.

14. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    It's the Philbin way....looking like clowns

15. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    What are you talking about??????????????

He is an UNRESTRICTED free agent. He can play for any one of 31 other teams if they make him an offer. Just because he is given a reasonable offer to stay in Miami doesn't at all mean he will choose to do so. You have certainly read some of his wife's stuff. They are all about the money.

Like I said, the only way to lock him up is to franchise him. I am not 100% against franchising him, but I would definitely look to solve the issue another way.

The Dolphins may have some cap room this March but we also have no OL and could be looking for a couple interior DL. Signing Grimes to a long term deal is a long, very long shot, IMO.

16. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    He should be about the money. He has the rest of his life to worry about after football. The amount of money these owners get is ridiculous compared to what the players get. Dumbest thing the players ever agreed to was a salary cap

17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think you have to consider re-signing Tyson Clabo. The difference between the first half and second half of the season was night and day. From his benching on he was essentially the player you hoped he would be when he was signed.

ToddPhin likes this.
  18. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Pass.

miamiron and djphinfan like this.
  19. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Was this due to improved play, or the coaching staff asking him to perform assignments more akin to his skill set, as opposed to what they would like to do?

As for Grimes, he's over 30 and the CB market is actually pretty deep with lots of guys coming off their first contract. I don't think he's going to be the #1 guy on other people's radar, but I hope Miami brings him back.

20. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I would like us to go after two tackles from that list, Veldheer and Schwartz. Schwartz wouldn't command so much, but is still very solid especially in the running game. Veldheer would most likely look into Eugene Monroe's situation in Baltimore and command top 5 money. He has said he wants to remain with the Raiders but the Raiders have not engaged in any contract talks with him.

Get those two, draft a guard with your second round pick... and we should be good. My guess is Dallas Thomas gets this offseason to develop and have another chance at RG next season.

Draft skill positions in the first round... If Evans, Amaro or Ebron is there at 19... take them... If neither are there but Clinton Dix is there, that would be tempting too but I would like to see where Dixon falls in the second round... Need a major upgrade at free safety and I like Ahmad Dixon's game.

21. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    We should focus on getting a LT and RG in FA, one of Branden Albert or Anthony Collins for LT and maybe Jon Asamoah as a RG. Re-sign McKinnie at a hometown discount or Tyson Clabo for depth, then in the draft we go for a RT and LG in the early rounds... and we suddenly got ourselves an o-line.
    I'm a little worried about DT though, are there any DT in FA worth pursuing to replace Starks (most likely) or Soliai?

22. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Agree, especially if we can get him short term..... and he'll probably come cheaper than what his second half of season play would dictate thanks to his poor first half play. Wonder if he'd give us a hometown discount to make up for the first half.

23. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    That's a pretty naive view actually. If Miami wants Grimes he's going nowhere. He's going to be 31 entering next season. The last thing he wants is a franchise tag especially with what happened to him the last time. This is his last chance to get a solid multi year contract otherwise. So I can easily see him getting a Miami discounted long term contract in the $6.5-$7 million a year on a 4 year deal just to avoid the tag. The ball is in Miami's court here. If the new GM wants him he'll have him.

24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I would very much like to see one of the guard positions solved by Chad Rinehart. He's been solid in pass protection.... and there's a reason Ryan Mathews had such an impressive rushing season. Rinehart is part of that reason.

25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not so sure this is the case recently. Parcells/Ireland were very averse to signing 28+ year old players, outside of QBs(Pennington/Manning), and the occasional case that made them look like a genius(Jason Taylor).

Older players in the right position can be a big deal, and I think Miami has been hurt by refusing generally categorically to do so.

26. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Could be a low end pickup. $3 million a year might do it.

I also wonder if we don't give Yeatman a real shot. He got about 18 snaps this year. Didn't embarrass himself. I still hold out hope that La'el Collins will enter the draft. Perfect pick in the 2nd round to get a road grading RT. Fixing our run blocking is just as important as pass protection. Especially on the right side that has been pathetic.

27. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach

28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Too bad we didn't give Wheeler's money to Louis Vasquez.... or even Incognito's if we were into swapping out players.

29. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    edit wrong thread

30. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Why do people like Albert over Rodger Saffold? Just curious. If the Rams let him hit the market (which is possible since they have Jake), I'd take Saffold without a doubt. Great, versatile player who can start at any position on the OLine. That flexibility would be huge with this line in total re-build.

The FA DT competition will be interesting, some very solid guys at the top of the list. I think Linval Joseph is the best/youngest available and should get as much as Starks and Soliai, Corey Peters is a good player, as are Sims and Brown (though I'd be wary of Brown if I'm the GM). Pretty good top group may make big deals hard to come by.

31. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    We have to resign the players that absolutely stood out. Grimes and Starks are priorities.

32. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Signing free agents has nothing to do with Philbin. The way you carry on, if we overpay resigning our free agents, it's Philbin's fault. If we let them walk, and they play well elsewhere, it's still Philbin's fault. Heck, according to you, the Fukushima disaster, global warming, and the Iraq War are probably all Philbin's fault too. SMDH. :no:

NyPhinfan likes this.
  33. MrClean

That's exactly what should happen. Try to resign Grimes to a multi-year deal before free agency. If a deal cannot be reached, then Franchise tag him.

34. MrClean

Pass blocking improved. Not run blocking. Pass unless he wants to sign for the veteran minimum.

35. MrClean

Saffold has been injury prone. His rookie season has been his only full season of being injury free.

36. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Sure it did. First half was -5.5, second half was -2.9.

37. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    one of the Chiefs guards would be a better option.

Schwartz and Veldheer or Monroe in free agency, Cyril Richardson and Seantrel Henderson in the draft, problem solved.

38. MrClean

Miami Dolphins - Cumulative Rushing Report LT: -12.3, LG: -9.5, C: -5.8, RG: -10.8, RT: -9.8
    Lamar Miller behind LE, avg 3.7. LT avg 3.5, LG avg 5.5, Middle Left avg 4.4, Middle Right avg 2.9, RG avg 2.5, RT avg 3.4, RE avg 9.3...
    You may be happy with that, so you'll have to excuse me if I want an upgrade at RT too.

Replace all 4 IMO...

unifiedtheory and miamiron like this.
  39. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Homer,homer,homer; you just went off into fairy tale land and at the same time called my post naive.

6.5 mil a year?????????????? WTH? If Grimes and his wife saw your post they wouldn't stop laughing for an hour. C'mon man! Get real.

40. MrClean

Any long term deal will come down to how much guaranteed money he is offered. Considering the CB tag tender is $11.3 mil, he won't get offered a long term deal for that much average per year. So how much avg per year would you say is fair enough for Grimes that he and Miko won't laugh at it for an hour?