1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave George: Miami Dolphins' faith in Joe Philbin doesn't inspire confidence in GM se

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NaboCane, Jan 10, 2014.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
  2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Zounds, Da 'Fins, MAFishFan and 4 others like this.
  3. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    how is it one hand tied behind your back? if this year the dolphins and philbin flame out, the GM fires philbin and chooses his own coach, problem solved.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    is it set in stone that Ross cant change his mind on Philbin ? I think canning Philbin may be in our best interest but I will wait and see.

5. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Is it me or does it seem like while Dave George doesn't write a lot, when he does it seems to be negative about the Dolphins?

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Then do not apply for the job..simple

smahtaz likes this.
  7. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    It is the bigger question that is posed.

Does Stephen Ross know what he is doing?

Answer: Probably not

Up routing family, etc to move to Miami to be the OC or GM when the owner is Green and his intent long term is questionable......hard to sell

Which is why we will end up with some one with no experience

What a joke

8. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    So tired of this Bucs vs Dolphins crap in the media... Like Lovie doesn't control the team

9. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

If a GM insist on picking his own HC then has a "God complex" just like Irish.

No thanks.

Like it's already been said, if you aren't willing to work with Philbin, don't apply for the job.

10. Considering Ross gave Ireland 6 years and 2 HCs before canning him, I would think most GMs would view Ross as a decent owner to work for that is willing to give his GM plenty of time to hire a develop people. I rather work for Ross than someone like Dan Synder

11. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    yep and Ross just excluded 3/4 of those interested

12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This is such crap. GMs don't usually have the power to fire head coaches anyway. It's usually always up to the owner.

Also, the GM's job is to build a roster that can compete for Super Bowls. As long as he can work with Philbin this is just another BS article trying to paint the Dolphins in a bad light.

Aquafin, SICK, Ducken and 1 other person like this.
  13. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I've never heard of the guy. I know NaboCane is a big fan of perception but if Omar Khan interviews for a job it's legit.

14. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    You never interviewed for a job and half way thru thought - OH Hell NO

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It would be nice to shut these fu@&ers up but it seems we can't get the men in place to overcome..

Need to draft badasses..identity players.

16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I'm not in a position to read this. Is it a reasoning piece by a writer or is it a sourced report?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'll tell you nothing more than it is from a local paper. With that info, which do you deduce?

18. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    How come I envision you writing this drivel like this?

What are you going to say when the team hires one of the better OC and GM candidates? Are you going to ***** about his ears and how they are holding the franchise back?

[​IMG]

bigbry, Section126, Steve-Mo and 2 others like this.
  19. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

There's so damn much guess work and inferred meaning by this clown I don't know how anybody could take it seriously. He don't have anything solid, just guessing and hating...

MikeHoncho likes this.
  20. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Hate. The article.

21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I don't get this mentality. If anything, I would think a gm sees this as a win-win. Miami makes playoffs next year? Sweet, guess ill keep this Philbin guy! Miami misses playoffs? Sweet, I get to hire a new coach!

Where is the downside for the incoming gm?

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Organizations have "official" structures, then actual structures, there is a legit concern that a newbie GM would be third fiddle on the Aponte/Philbin band.

Personally feel it is BS, the more important consideration is whether the GM can acquire the TYPE of talent Philbin needs for his systems.

This to me was Ireland's fatal flaw in Miami, poor scheme fits, but guys he liked

Add in classic moves like the failed FA's, which consistently happened, the donut holes in the draft.

Where Ireland will be missed is later rd picks, and finding acorns in season.

23. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    A GM does not need to be a Czar, hiring and firing everyone in the building. I don't know where the idea came from?

Section126 and 77FinFan like this.
  24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

:sidelol: so many baseless ASSumptions right there.

BTW, it's uprooting, not up routing.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  25. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You have no idea what you're talking about. There are only 32 GM jobs in this league and a ton of aspiring execs. With Philbin in charge, it might dissuade the top 5-10% of candidates, doesn't mean we still can't get a good one

MrClean likes this.
  26. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Dave George: Miami Dolphins' faith in Joe Philbin doesn't inspire confidence ...

No one was on a hotter seat than Ron Rivera entering his third year. They fired Marty Hurney and brought in a very top candidate from the NYG Dave Gettlemen as a GM being "thrusted a coach he didn't pick". They play Sunday in a home game with a chance to go to the NFC championship. And they had a death sentence of a salary cap when Gettlemen took the job. WITH a lame duck coach!!!

These local writers are a joke. All I remember was support during the gm hiring process here in Charlotte from the observer and local radio.

I honestly don't understand the vitriol and venom these local beat guys are spewing against the team they're paid to cover.

It's sad unprofessional. and proves they are idiots, because the only guys that "made it big" from south fla (Darlington, Le Betard, Sedano, Guiteirez etc) were unbiased, thought provoking and would tell both sides when needed. Never 100% bs and conjecture.

Maybe that's why they made it?

Take notes Armando, I know you read this forum to steal information. So you're probably reading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. What I am amazed by is the fact that they are still employed. Its almost as if the local papers dislike their football team. I stopped reading their garbage long ago. I don't expect the homerism garbage you get from the team website but Armando and others do nothing but write hit pieces.

mbsinmisc and SICK like this.
  28. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    They are employed for the same reason the National Enquirer is still on stands at the check out line. When you read his articles you are checking out, man.

29. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    What I find funny about all of this is that Ross is actually conducting this search exceptionally well, looking a ton of bright, talented candidates for the GM position who all seem very interested in the job...and yet the media continues to slam the organization for baseless nonsense like this. I personally would have fired Philbin, but I can't complain with the way Ross is acting toward his head coach. He obviously feels different, or knows something I do not, and he's sticking to his guns rather firmly while still interviewing the best GM candidates available.

So my question is, where is the list of better GM candidates who turned us down because Philbin is still our coach? Who are all these amazing GMs who hate Joe Philbin and the Miami Dolphins? I want to see that list if its really such a problem.

30. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Yup, I used to visit the local Miami papers websites constantly. Haven't visited any of the online papers in years.

mbsinmisc, shula_guy and SICK like this.
  31. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    But a lot of people don't want to be bothered wasting a year of their life, and will take another opportunity if it is there or stay in there present situation than take the mess Ross is presenting to them.

32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

33. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Who needs to visit the local South Florida papers to see what the media has to say about the Dolphins. Every time an article is written in the local papers, positive or negative regarding the team, it is posted on this forum and the posters read it and make comments regarding what was stated by the individual writing the article.

Armando, Omar and the rest of the sports writers in South Florida don't care if you like what they are writing or not. All they care about is that people are commenting on what they wrote. They are all hired and paid to get people to respond to what they write. Their bosses don't care if you think they hate the Dolphins and not very good good at their jobs. To these bosses, the fact so many people are discussing the articles written by these reporters is all they care about.

I am sure every time these reporters cash their pay check. They are laughing at all the people who make negative comments about them. Because as long as people are making comments about them, good or bad, they are doing exactly what they are getting paid to do. Personally I get a kick out of all the people who get on here and degrade the comments of these reporters, because those same reporters love the fact they are being discussed in this or any other forum. In fact they probably get a raise at work, every time they write an article that generates huge comments on forums like this.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Who are these people and how is this wasting a year of their life?

This is just an immensely stupid stance. The new GM will have a one year get of jail free card while he evaluates the roster and the HC. If they turn it around he gets most of the accolades, if not he gets none of the blame.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  35. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

That may be more true of players than FO and coaching staffs. They aren't bound by age, like players... Look a new GM comes in and he'll be on a bye for the first year, unless he goes totally "call a draft picks mom a whore"... We have a basically young roster... I don't think that, particularly for an up and comer GM that having the coach in place is much of an issue. The issue might be the stability of the FO heirarchy, but not the thought of 'wasting' a year...

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Local, national, the all seem to want to take cheap shots at this franchise..maybe their still jealous we got Lebron.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    And when you have those type of earpieces, you usually wind up with a culture that reflects it..

38. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I agree but if this is the case how is it that these media clowns have jobs ? I wish those media clowns would all get the axe .

39. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    you don't know what you are talking about.

40. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    He's looking for acorns cause he **** up the draft, think about loosing one year of the rookie 4 year contract cause they are injured when picked, you have to take into cosderation the opportunity cost of those failed pics.
    For example Egnew didn't play the first year and little the 2nd now only 2 years left at a low rate, say he gets going year 3 by year 4 you are paying big $'s or you loose him.

Ireland has been ****ing this **** up for six years.