1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manziel going pro. Should Fins pursue?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Cydonia, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Cydonia

Cydonia New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    I know there are Tannehill advocates all over the place on here. But you can't deny how exciting it would be to have Johnny Football running around in aqua. He could be just what this 'star-less' franchise needs!

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sigh.

Colorado Dolfan, rafael, SICK and 2 others like this.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He'll probably be drafted before our 1st round pick.

4. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    And if so thank God.

TopLoader likes this.
  5. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Mike Lombardi supposedly loves him and Cleveland needs a QB in the worst way. If he makes it past the Browns, I'll be floored.

sports24/7 likes this.
  6. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Advocates? Do you mean people with brains and eyes?

MikeHoncho, MAFishFan and Fin D like this.
  7. MrClean

I really doubt one could find an objective Tannehill-Manziel comparison around here.

8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No. Just, no.

O-line should be our #1 priority during the offseason. I wouldn't even THINK about grabbing a QB until the 4th round.

Colorado Dolfan and SICK like this.
  9. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Jimmy Garoppolo

10. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I'd be so down to take him a little later on. Big fan. Can't resist that lightning-quick release and dancing footwork. I feel like someone's really going to fall in love with those tools (specifically the insane release) and take him early 2nd.

But as to Manziel...we ain't taking a QB in the first round.

11. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I'm behind Tannehill. That said I do want to see Manziel play in the NFL, he's exciting if nothing else. If we didn't have Tannehill, honestly, why the hell not? I actually think he might be there at our pick but we aren't taking a Qb. IF a new GM wanted to challenge Tannehill I think he spends like a 3rd or 4th on a Qb and lets them duke it out but I don't even think that will happen. Tannehill showed a lot to me, the last 2 weeks were god awful but its unfair to throw a Qb under the bus for 2 bad games.

12. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SICK and MIASportsFan like this.
  13. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    He is amazing. He has got 2 problems going into pros: 1) he has a tendency to throw the ball too late, like after the play has broken he will look one way and then flick the ball the other way on quick look, but the corner is breaking and it's already too late, and 2) his intermediate passes are low, difficult to catch. I'll be shocked if he is not a top 10 pick.

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Honestly I feel like he is a second round project that needs to sit a season or two and work on his game to be successful.

However I believe he will be over drafted and end up between 10-19.

15. phinator

phinator New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    I love Johnny Football, man if we didn't already have a QB I'd demand the Dolphins take Manziel because he would at least be exciting and draw interest to our team. Critics said he'd be like Tim Tebow, but then he learned to pass from the pocket. Enough coaching he could pass from the pocket like Brees and take off like Kapernick when things break down. Look at what Kapernick did to the Packers again. Cleveland would be lucky to get him to throw to Josh Gordon.

16. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

But he throws the ball late, a lot. That and his stature with his style both scare me away. Unless he learns to pass from the pocket, he won't be able to stay healthy. And him throwing late so often scares me away from him period.

I wouldn't take him in the first round if I were a QB needy team. 3rd round at best to me.

He does some amazing things on the football without a doubt though.

17. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Kapernick had great coaches behind him. Do you honestly think Cleveland will? For now that is TBD. Maybe Manziel gets lucky and gets a great coach to take advantage of his skillsets and he excels with their teachings or he ends up like Weeden.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

He has first round intangibles too...

Ryan Leafs and Matt Jones' to be exact.

ckparrothead and Nappy Roots like this.
  19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Agreed 100%

Though I'd probably take him in the second if I was a QB needy team.

20. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    smh

21. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I honestly think a coach that wants to implement a system like Philidelphia does could be a great spot for Johnny. Heck if I'm the Eagles and he slips to my pick I may take him as insurance to Foles if I'm not 100% sold he is the future.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Everyone makes a big deal about hiring a General Manager with a coach already in place. But honestly if I'm a General Manager looking to be hired by a new team then I'm much more concerned about hiring in with a team that doesn't want to allow me to find my own quarterback because they're hanging onto some unproven guy who is heading into the first of what could be a few "make or break" years.

It would be one of my questions in interview. If I'm hired and I decide that Ryan Tannehill is not my guy, would you allow me to find my guy?

23. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    No, Tannehill made big strides from year 1 to year 2. Get him a real O-line and a mediocre running game and his numbers will improve even more.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If I'm a GM candidate and you're making that decision for me then I don't feel like a GM at all.

djphinfan, ToddPhin, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  25. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Well I would say absolutely. If you hire a GM and he feels like Tannehill isn't the guy. Let him do his job. Otherwise what is he then?

fins4o8, muscle979, ssmiami and 2 others like this.
  26. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Im not sure that will be an issue, from everything ive heard Tannehill is looked upon very well by most league offices

27. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    You think just like Ireland. You think that post is a candystore to fack around at your whim and implement your ideas.

28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Lol. Just lol. Nothing else...just lololololol at the trollolololol.

ToddPhin likes this.
  29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah well, from everything we've heard the Dolphins want Tom Gamble and Tom Gamble would welcome the phone call. But we haven't seen hide or hair of him.

And from everything we heard at one point, Peyton Manning loved the Dolphins and wanted to play there. Then Peyton sent Ross a note that said I don't want to play for you.

Just sayin. There are definitely people around the league that viewed Tannehill as a 2nd rounder. There are definitely people around the league that think he's going to flame out and can't read the middle of the field.

Bpk likes this.
  30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Our desire as battered fans to finally have stability at QB, has blinded some of us into pretending Tanny is flawless.

He has THIS year to make strides, and I won't by any "new system" excuses if he doesn't improve in year three. It's the same BS people insisted on why Jason Allen never panned out.

Bpk likes this.
  31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Sure, but I haven't heard any reports of it. Of course that doesn't mean it doesnt exist obviously. My only point was that he is generally a well thought of young QB in league circles. Of course there are probably some that don't like him as well, I understand that much.

The point is that there are a lot of people who would like to work with him. I'm sure at least a few may even be very well qualified for the job.

32. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Oh, so you're telling me we should give up on Jason Allen now!?! Some fans have NO patience!

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  33. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I haven't done any kind of extensive film study on the guy, but from what I can tell in the games I've watched him, those are not his only two problems. I see a guy with a slight frame that likes to run and doesn't like to slide. I also think you have to be scared by his off the field (and sometimes on it with the taunting penalties) "I don't give a ****, I just want to have fun" attitude. That's something he could conceivably grow out of, but I don't want my starting QB to act like he does.

I compare Manziel to RGIII in that they were similar players in college and both are injury risks with their frame and lack of a want to protect themselves. Griffen, however, is a better thrower of the football IMO.

All that being said, I fully expect him to be a top 5 pick unless he completely turns GMs off in interviews (which I don't expect to happen because I think he truly loves football).

34. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I remember all the Troy Palamalu comparisons, just because Troy played sparingly as a rookie.

At some point you have to Atleast see some flashes of football skill.

35. MrClean

I do not recall any of that. I only recall: Denver $36 mil under the cap, Miami $15 mil under the cap, Arizona/Tennessee similar to Miami, and lo and behold, Manning signs with the team most in a position to offer him the lucrative contract he sought.

36. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    nor do you look very pretty in those shoes.

37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I see the opposite actually in regards to your last paragraph.

Once the film study is done I think he pulls a Geno Smith snd slides out of the first round entirely.

Though I can see a franchise like Jacksonville or Oakland over drafting him.

38. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's early and anything can happen so we'll see. I see a bunch of teams needing a QB and a couple needing to generate some excitement. Manziel will sell tickets and there is a lot to like with him. I think that will get him drafted early.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    They're prescribed by my orthopedist.

ToddPhin likes this.
  40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Which is why I agree that someone might over draft him. I'm not sure it is best for him though. In my opinion he needs to go to a team with an offensive system in place, sit, learn it, work really hard and then start.

Likr I said, if Philidelphia isn't sold on Foles long term it would be a great landing spot for him. Their offense utilizes all of his talents.