1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014's insanity, p90x or whatever you are doing thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by padre31, Jan 8, 2014.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well talk about bummers, my bike finally got stolen and will have to be replaced.

Anyhow, I think for 2014 I'm going to attempt to bulk up a bit.

I've been steadily losing weight for 3 yrs now and have hit my nature plateau of around 190ish, so if that is my baseline I think the move is to go for more strength and flexibility.

Lots of U bar pushups
    Farmer carries are going to be added to the arsenal
    and more arm work

Lots of guys really enjoy blasting reps on their biceps, I never really did as athleticism matter more so it was mostly legs/core/delts, this yr it will be biceps and triceps going for 18 inch arms or so.

I have short arms so on me they are about as Gorilla as I'd like to get

ATM have 16 inch arms

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  2. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Damn dude that sucks that your bike got stolen. People suck.
    I remember when I got my bike, the Trek dealer told me to put it on my homeowners insurance just in case it got lifted. I should probably go ahead and do that.

Today I finished Body Beast (actually Friday, but today is the final rest day). I'm up 8.6 lbs in 12 weeks. My goal was to gain 15 lbs, which was probably too ambitious. However I got to about 11 lbs up and then got hammered with a nasty stomach virus. It knocked me on my *** for 2 days and I couldn't get my diet back on track for almost a week. Ah well that's life.

Tomorrow my wife and I start P90X3 together, along with about a dozen other people who joined up in my challenge group. The 30-minute workouts have people really excited about this one. I did the fit test for it yesterday, and while my numbers were good I expected them to be a bit better. As good as Body Beast is for gaining muscle, it does seem to have a negative effect on muscular endurance and overall athleticism. Now it's time to train these "new" muscles to move better. There are times when it feels like I'm draggin' a trailer when I'm teaching my INSANITY classes at Gold's :) I'm sure this will get better since my workouts now target performance more and hypertrophy less.

Here's to a kick-*** 2014!

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Have to say, those farmer walks will make a man out of ya!

4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    That's what I like to hear. It's funny how we have both been keeping at it this long and we took similar journeys (in terms of doing weight loss and then going to lifting). Since I started lifting I feel so much better and honestly my body is looking noticeably better. I still weight around 185, but since coming back from christmas break I literally had 15+ classmates out of 82 come up to me and remark about how much weight I had lost. Ironically, over Christmas break I had gained weight, but I think weight lifting makes your body a lot more esthetic and can make it look like you lost weight even though you haven't.

If you are interested here is what I have been doing:

Day A:
    Squats (1 warm up set, 4x5, then a burn out)
    Dumbbell Bench Press (1 warm up set, 4x5, then a burn out @ warm up weight)
    [Assisted] Pull ups (3 sets to failure; I just do as many as I can do. If I get 3 sets of 8+ reps I drop the assistance the next time I am in the gym)
    Pull Down Bar (3 sets to failure)
    Bicep Curls (3x10)
    Preacher Curls (3 sets to failure)

Day B:
    Squats (1 warm up set, 4x5, then a burn out)
    Over Head Press (1 warm up set, 4x5, then a burn out @ warm up weight)
    Deadlift (1 warm up set, 4x5)
    Front Dumbbell Raises (3x10)
    Lateral Dumbbell Raises (3x10)

Alternate back and forth between A and B, with a day off in between and you should see great results.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Over did the farmer walk, went a qtr mile rd trip with 60 pd dumbells and geeked my trap up a bit

It's winter here, snowing atm, so it'll be push up bar pushups.

Do agree a bit UCF, I know I'm 15 pds lighter this yr then the exact same time last yr, with far far less bike commuting, just walking and not eating quite so much, even my Abs are starting to show up a bit, it's a good feeling

Now for something a bit different:

[video=youtube;AzrKVPhgfXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzrKVPhgfXs[/video]

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  6. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I could laugh at Crossfit videos all day! Good lord.

I've been working out at home. Cold's, Flu's, the northeast is a pandemic, and my little stinky, poorly ventilated gym is a cesspool for germs. With 3 little kids, I'm not exposing myself to that in the heart of winter. Plus, I'm tired of waiting for equipment, the extra time, the hassle.

I am limited tho. I have a pretty nice machine unit, and only a few dumbbells. So I cannot train with my old volume and intensity so I needed to change gears. Now instead of 4 times a week, high intensity and heavy, I train 11 times a week, much more isolated. Workout are only 20-35 minutes. An example would be:
    Monday AM: inner back and traps (focusing on rhomboids and back thickness)
    Narrow grip palms in pulldowns
    close grip cable rows
    dumbell deadlifts super set with dumbbell shrugs
    machine rows
    Monday PM:Hamstrings and calves
    Stiff legged dumbell deadlift
    single leg curls
    dumbbell between feet leg curls
    Standing calf raises with dumbbells held as additional resistance
    toes straight, in, out

Results have been good thus far. It's not ideal, but I am training things more thoroughly, and feel like I'm spending less time overall training because I can get to the weights immediately, and not for very long. I hope to add a lot of additional equipment in time.

7. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Everyone stop working out??

Bpk likes this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Heck no, did get my bike stolen, so no bike commuting, still hitting the push up bars and when weather allows it, shrugs. bi's/trap work..weather has been awful and working out outside is just not very pratical.

30 degrees and drizzle at farmer walks at 6 am makes a great story, reality is, it kinda sucks.

Have kept on walking miles a day, and 3 x week walk with a neighborette who is a work out fanatic..2-3 hours everyday of cardio or insanity or both..4 miles or so, or an hour and a half or so..up and down the mtn side..she is basically 107 pds worth of lungs and thighs

DePhinistr8 and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  9. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Heh no not at all. I have 3 weeks left of P90X3 (LOVE the 30 minute routines). I'm still teaching 50-minute INSANITY classes 3 times a week (I got certified Oct. 2013). Swimming on Monday and Wednesday evening in prep for my triathlon next month.

I have all sorts of events signed up this year. A triathlon in April, easy lil' 5k in June, Duathlon in July, for September I have a 1/2 Marathon, Spartan Race, and Tough Mudder. In November I have a 10k accross the Bay Bridge, and Marathon in Philly.

When I'm done this round of P90X3, I'm going to do it again, but this time on the MASS schedule (more weights, less cardio). I'll augment the weight training with runs on days I don't teach Insanity and cycling on Saturdays and Sundays.

It's going to be an active year :)

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    No....you?

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Why is that? There are stupid people who work out using every method of workout out. Not sure I get the hate on CrossFit....I am saying you can put the best on any method up against anybody these guys would be right there with them.....

12. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I painted my gym, so I took about a week off to let the smell/fumes dissipate.

Official Dolphins team color, by Glidden. It's a shame Glidden sucks as a paint. 2 coats, in this day and age...

finyank13 likes this.
  13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You should try it before knocking it....

14. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Because a lot of these gurus aren't educated properly to teach very serious moves. And thus, there's a whole crop of Crossfitters creating the gym fail video market. But I like it. Soccer moms with those crossfit bumpers loaded on the bar...it looks like 315lbs when it's actually 70... Falling on them face first while they squat and someone is fortunate enough to get the whole thing on their iPhone. Love it.

Crossfit is not the best way to develop strength or muscle. And it is not the best way to improve cardiovasculary. And I think it is downright hazardous, thrusting ridiculous moves and lifts on novices. BUT, if a person loves it, and it is the means to their improved health, then right on. But the guru-ish, cult-like stigma also turns me off. It's like Amway for fitness.

15. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    90% of crossfit is ****ty form. I really dislike it.

I'm switching to a high rep, lower weight routine in April when I start training for a cycling event in July... Anyone have suggestions for total reps for exercises? I was thinking like 60-65 reps in 3 sets (obviously adjust accordingly) but I am not very experienced with high rep routines.

16. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Sterotypes of people who never do it....

A great misconception of it is they are looking to build massive amounts of muscle, it isnt true, people who do CF are looking to be proportionally fit, you will never see massively huge muscle bound people doing it, you actually have to have range of motion to perform these tasks...go look at Rich Froning, and think about the guy and power snatch close to 300 hundred pounds....it is mindblogging....as far as cardio everybody knows lifting weights burns more fat than cardio does, but I like to also run because I am trying to just get better at running....

The majority of people who do it aren't soccer moms, at least not the the few of those type of gyms I been too......sure there are those people who do it wrong, usually the non-athletes who never played sports....these oly moves everybody did in high school....these aren't foreign concepts right? I have told the owners of these gym how I hate the concept of competing during a workout, fastest times, and most reps...these I will agree lead to injures because they most certainly break form...I am always the slowest, and have the least amount of reps, but my form is pristine and have never been injured and my strength has gone up more than I ever did any other workout, at 38 years old I am squatting over 300 pounds metal plates at 5-7 180, something I would have never dreamed of doing before....if there are mistakes the owners point out the flaws quick and I correct them if I do have them...

I can go on YT and find these stupid fails videos again from every single method...as much as CF is a new trend, even though it started in 2000, it is also a trend to hate on it....as much you see the people with their iphones in CF (which is odd because they dont allow cellphones during the workout) you see people in every gym with phones snapping pictures of themselves and yapping away...it comes with the "rah rah look at me I workout" age....

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Have you done it? It is olympic lifting, how is oly lifting bull**** form?? Makes no sense....

18. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The whole point to weightlifting is to tear down muscle fibers, and then let them heal. The most effective rep range to do that in, is 6 to 12 reps for most muscle groups. Sets of 12-20 reps with short rest periods would be my advice to mix in some lactic acid tolerance, but not much more with reps. The best way to train for a cycling event would be to get on that bike. I don't think sitting and knocking out 60+ reps will do much for you past the initial week or two. Not to mention that it's difficult to maintain a mind and muscle connection for a set that long.

19. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    A lot people I know who do it have terrible form, I'm not trying to say everyone is that way... You have that with pretty much everything but of the people I know, it's more vocal amongst the Crossfit community. Sorry if I offended you.

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    So it is people who have the bad form not the method....good thing about people doing wrong methods are they can be corrected....

I am not offended either just correcting misconceptions thats all...

21. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I intend to do long distance cycling training 4 days a week and still lift 3 days a week (not on the same day). The lifting isn't for cycling training, I am just trying to maintain most of my strength while training for that cycling event.

Obviously breaking down your muscles and letting them heal is the point of lifting but there are a variety of roads to take to get there.

22. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You have good points. The fact that it is a "thing" will bring opinions. Its cultish stigma will bring that too. I have watched the crossfit games, and seen those top guys. I do think the weights are padded and lighter then they claim to be. This is just by watching those athletes' form, their movement, and the equipment itself. Maybe I'm right, maybe not. It's just what I think so who cares.

And those ridiculous pull-ups are not helping the cause. Nothing positive can be gained from them. Who cares how many times you can get ur chin to the bar. You may as well use a stool if that's the point.

I have a few people on my Facebook, now moms, and I've seen them get guru'd out on crossfit...but at least their fat asses are doing something.

I have seen a lot of it, as it's over exposed. People get addicted to it and post videos of themselves and I think it's weird. I'm not sure what gets into their heads about it being a competition. But I'm sure there are a lot of people, like yourself, making the most out of it...getting the best out of it. And that's good.

finyank13 likes this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You would be surprised at how much upper body strength/endurance cycling requires, when going uphill your upper body is helping to force the peddles to turn out rpms. Really requires lat and shoulder strength/endurance to maintain speed.

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The bumpers arent padded, I weighed them....yes I am that anal...the 45's are bigger but I know what you mean the colored bumpers are the same size as say the 25's...they are weird I agree...

I agree on the guru part of it, people are nuts....and come on Seth those bull**** kipping PU's are garbage we all now that but those who can do those train with weight strict/negative/straight strict PU's that isn't like the only thing they can do...but again kipping are a garbage competition thing which I hate...

I honestly think somebody like you would be really good at it....soooooooooooooooooo bring the kids, move up here and lets do this....

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  25. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I would hate it. I gass and huff and puff when I do plain old squats. That **** will kill me!

Don't worry, when my wife kicks me to the curb..,guess where I'm going for Xmas eve!!!

finyank13 likes this.
  26. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Nothing I've tried so far beats a combo of an Ian King designed msucle building program, coupled with yoga or pilates once per week, additional cardio twice per week, and Tabata a few times in the 'off weeks'.

27. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Sums up his methods I am unaware.....the guy Seth uses is pretty much the authority if you want to build muscle mass...

Bpk likes this.
  28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Words cannot describe how ******ed crossfit and many of it's supporters are.

Any program that sacrifices form and intelligence for the sake of reps and numbers should be a pretty obvious fad.

29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Those are some bad crossfit gyms. A good crossfit gym does not sacrifice form.

finyank13 likes this.
  30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If they still push moronic exercises like the kipping pull-up, then they're just as bad.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that.

31. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Finyank is a Crossfitter and he denounces those silly pull-ups.

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    As he should. Still goes to show you how silly some of the things they push are though.

I also think a lot of people (prob people new to wo) don't realize that kind of HIIT training has been around long before crossfit.

33. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The only thing I'll say for it is, If it gets certain people to go get in shape when they otherwise wouldn't, then good. But I do find it amusing how hard some of these people get guru'd and obsessive about it.

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Yes, but when it has them doing a lot of dangerous/stupid things it's also a negative.

35. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Those uber-protective people that love cf don't do anything to help it's goofy cult rep though.

36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Added something to me walking routine, a farmer walk with 120 pds 60 yds for every lap I walk, so half mile..farmer walk..half mile farmer walk

Wow did that pump my forearms up, we walk and hour and half, or about 12 laps, forearms looked like bowling pins, shoulders/traps/delts all were seriously pumped

One caution though, when your hands let go, they let go, a 60 pd dumbell is now headed towards your feet had one bounce off of my calve..live and learn!

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Your GF's house?

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yet another misconception it doesn't sacrifice form one bit....if it is done right, how it is taught, your form is pristine.....

Go look at the videos of those freaks at the Games, there is absolutely nothing wrong with their form....If people do the wrong form that is on them, but form is taught, and if wrong the form is corrected.....

Again I hate the most reps, fastest time, competition aspect of it. It is dumb. I have told all the trainers how I hate it and it breeds poor form. Not to mention "competing" at working out if ****ing stupid, I played a sport in college, that's competition. What I do like about CF is the community aspect of it, it is pretty cool to watch 50 year old ladies/guys bang pull-ups...mostly I like the way they write the workouts....doing the beach crap at Planet Fitness wasn't motivating to me. It is to some and it works, just not me though.

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Welcome to man the **** up you

Tonight's agenda, half mile fmr walks..w/hot Brunette's teaching the small ones to jog up and down the mtn

Checked the mail, just had 120 pd in dumbells w/me

40. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    When you're doing **** like kipping pullups, form is irrelevant since the, "correct way" to do it is indeed ******ed.