1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Tek 7 round mock 1/7/14

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    For those that don't want to check:

1. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    2. Antonio Richardon, OT, Tennessee
    3. EJ Gaines, CB, Mizzou
    4. Kelcy Quarles, DT, S. Carolina
    5. Denicos Allen, OLB, Michigan St.
    6. Ka'Deem Carey, HB Arizona
    7. Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas

Overall, not a very inspiring draft IMO. I would imagine the Dolphins will fix at least one of the tackle spots in FA so I can't see them going OT in the 1st and 2nd round. I'd like to see them nab one of the WRs in the early to mid rounds, and I'd like to see them go HB earlier than the 6th round ideally.

Alex13, ckparrothead and NUGap like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think I'd be fine with rounds 1-2 but don't like our picks after that

3. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I really worry about reaching for an OT at our pick. I'm no O line expert, but it seems like there are some good tackles coming out, which is a good thing. If there is an early run on them though, I worry the Dolphins would be forced to take on higher than he should go because they need one so bad. For that reason, I'd really like to see them sign a FA LT. The thing they have in their favor is as of now, it looks like there could be a run on QBs in the top 10 with as many as 4 or 5 going ahead of our pick.

4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I see some good qualities in Richardson but I can understand the criticism. He's a hulking beast with pretty good feet, but why doesn't he dominate more? Fair criticism, especially after reviewing some more film. Robinson will be gone, and that sucks. If we can get a LT in FA- great, that will take some of the pressure off. If not- the OL is so bad that I could see Ogbuehi (if he declares) or Lewan in rd 1, then I like Phinsational's guy Collins in rd2 as a RT or at worst a road grading Guard, which is fine. Maybe Morgan Moses in rd 2 or as a steal in rd 3, the guy can play ball. I'd be fine with Koundjio in rd 1 as a straight up RT. I'm having a hard time getting on board with Cameron Erving, I just don't see it. Good feet, good size, but kind of pudgy. Not a dominator, or very physical, from what I've seen, not worth the 19th pick.

If we get some OL help in FA I'd have no problem taking an offensive playmaker in rd 1, then attacking OL thereafter. It has to be done, there is a lack of quality and depth on the OL, plain and simple. Even in today's NFL, that will gut a team. Has to be fixed- I look at the OL and I see pretty much nothing after Pouncey, and my guess is that Dallas Thomas will unfortunately be a bust. Seriously, what team in the NFL has worse Tackles that us? Worse Guards? Sad state of affairs. Fix it, and fix it now. Shame on Jeff Ireland for the OL mess, and the LB mess as well.

5. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Would they really be considering corner that high after drafting Taylor and Davis last year?

6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Given the other needs, especially on the OL, that seems a little strange to me as well. They passed up a lot of talent for those two in the draft, plus trasded up for Davis iirc. Ireland could have made a lot of progress with that draft, and so far- not.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yuck. I'd crumple that draft, smother it with In-And-Out Burger's special sauce and swallow it, then light it on fire when I fart it out.

PhinsRDbest, Fin D and ckparrothead like this.
  8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Here's some more film of Richardson- freaking monster, look at the quick feet at 1:08- and then look at what happens. I have no problem changing my mind if I hear some criticism, check it out and it looks like the criticism is warranted. The guy is huge, solid, has pretty darned good feet. I see natural talent there, size and athletic ability that you can't teach. Then he goes out and does the Joel Buchsbaum looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane thing. I want to see more film but yeah, I can see the logic behind the criticism that you and CK Parrot have on this guy. I'll be looking at more OL film than any other position from now until the draft, but I'd rather have a sure thing in Collins at RT or G than roll the bones on Richardson. And that kind of sucks, because physically Antonio Richardson is a talented player. He just doesn't put it all together, and he doesn't play with enough force or aggression. He should be dominating players out there, and he doesn't, you're right a bout that. I have to watch more of Ju'wuan James to solidify an opinion. He looks pretty good, but nothing is standing out so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYmrqbUMOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7yUAN2dZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYmrqbUMOg

9. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    The line has to be made a priority. No doubt about it. That's why ideally they will make some moves in FA (ideally at least one OT and one OG) which should allow the Dolphins to draft for value instead of need.

I really think the value could be one of the TEs (I really like Ebron), or a LB at 19. Or a guy like Nix if he falls there.

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think I like E.J. Gaines.

I could get behind Cyrus Kouandjio but I'd be disappointed they didn't get someone better.

11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I could see the Iowa TE in rds 3 or 4, but to me it seems simple- fix the OL, in the draft and FA. It's so bad after Pouncey that it's almost funny, in a really sad, pathetic kind of way.

12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd be ok with Kouandjio too but he wouldn't be my first pick either. Carey in the 6th would be nice.

As for the rest, with all that's available this draft and with what our needs are, I would loathe that draft. I'd hate to see 2 corners [again], especially one in the 3rd round [unless it's a player like Mathieu]. I'd hate to see 2 offensive tackles. That'd mean we did nothing to address the position in FA, and then did nothing to address it again with our 2nd round pick of Richardson, LOL. Plus just the thought of starting two rookies at bookend hurts my brain. Quarles I'd probably be ok with. Another mid round WILL after grabbing Jelani last year seems like a waste.

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'd be fine with 2 OTs plus one in FA. There is nothing there on the roster, the cupboard has to be restocked. A lot of these OTs ion the draft look like they can play Guard, so while it's all being sorted out, we have no Guards either. Let one of the rookie OTs play there for a while no problem. No one wants an OL full of rookies, but this is an out of the ordinary situation and a deep year for OTs, time to stock up. As to Kouandjio, I'd be fine with him at #19, bury the RT issue. My questions are, who's the better OT to draft, Kouandjio or Lewan? And how good is Ogbuehi at run blocking? He looks pretty good, but I have to see more film.

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I can't understand why he's even being hyped up in the first place TBH, especially not to the point where you can look at him and say he deserves to be higher than Collins or the similarly sized Moses. I just don't see him being an NFL tackle when he doesn't look good in space even at the college level. How many times does he whiff badly in that Florida game? He should be a bullfighter the way he's got that ole' down. The coordination is inconsistent, and to me his size seems to hinder his ability to generate explosion off the snap.

15. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    It's a smaller nitpick, but I can't see how Ka'Deem Carey gets to the 6th round. People may not like him as a 2nd round guy, but I don't think he's a 6th round type player either. With RBs getting pushed back, I'd say 4th round maybe. It's a pretty weak RB class, so I'd be really surprised if he was there.

ToddPhin and BuckeyeKing like this.
  16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    RB class doesn't have any stars but it has a lot of quality backs. Better than Miller and Thomas IMO.

17. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Any insight on OL Jack Mewhort, Corey Linsley, Andrew Norwell or Marcus Hall from OSU? I'm guessing that Hall is a bit of a problem child.

18. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Mewhort was dominated by NFL level talent in Mack and Beasley. I don't think he is a tackle but he has a senior bowl invite so he has another chance to prove that he is. Norwell is a guard IMO not quick enough to be a RT but he is powerful in the run game. Hall likely the most athletic of the OL but is too inconsistent and needs to work on hand technique. Linsley is likely a late round or UDFA. Most of the OSU O line are solid run blockers so that's a plus.

ToddPhin and jim1 like this.
  19. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

If this happened and we passed on Timmy Jernigan in the second round I would kill myself.

20. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Kouandjio and Gaines are good picks imo, as far as player quality. I don't agree with taking a OT high tho. I don't think Richardson is a good value in the 2nd as far as impact. There should be better players available, with more impact. Kelcy Quarles is a decent value in the 4th but still not enough of an impact guy. I am not familiar with Allen OLB and Byndom CB. I seriously doubt Carey will be available in the 6th round. He is top 60 prospect.

21. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If we can't get a value impact player in rds 1 or 2, I really would be happy with OL, LB and one DE for the whole draft. We needs what we needs, and after Pouncey there is NOTHING at OL, it's pathetic.

22. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    And that's where the FA comes in, as far Oline. At the top of the draft we should get DTs, or if Mosley or Khalil Mack drop down to 19 that should be the focus. Soliai and Starks will be 31, and they are pricey. I think there is an opportunity here to replenish with younger, less expensive high motor DTs, and put that money into Oline in FA.