1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walter Football mock draft 1/3/14 (Charlie Campbell)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    19. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee

I'm not sure how Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland has managed to stick around as long as he has, but one of his numerous failures is the pathetic offensive line he has put together in Miami. This inept line let Ryan Tannehill take a pounding in 2013. The Dolphins need to add free agents and draft picks to build up their line. Getting a franchise left tackle is critical.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I haven't scouted many OL prospects, but Richardson is a guy who I see as a reasonable selection there. Although I also like the TE Amaro.

3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If Ogbuehi declares I'd rather have him at LT, better feet and overall athleticism. Richardson is huge though, solidly built and a good athlete.

ssmiami likes this.
  4. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    The Bama LT might be falling fast after last night (this mock has him at 12). That was pretty ugly.

5. PhinsFan93

PhinsFan93 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Isn't Ogbuehi a RT?

6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    That's the thing with a lot of the OTs in this class- playing LT in college but probably RT in the NFL. Kouandjio, Richardson, Moses, Lewan. The thing is, I'm not opposed to spending a 1st rd pick on a solid RT. If Kouandjio was available at #19 I'd draft him and be happy if he became a stud RT, that's fine.

Tackles I've seen who I think are well suited for LT:

Matthews
    Robinson
    Obbuehi
    Erving
    Turner
    Hickey
    Johnson

But that doesn't mean that I want necessarily, say Erving over Koundjio. Both positions are important, but obviously LTs are more rare.

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I have no love for the idea of taking Antonio Richardson in the first round. Constant underachiever.

ssmiami likes this.
  8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    At that size, with that strength and build, he shoud be more dominating. Reminds me a bit in play of Dallas Thomas, not aggressive enough. But he's a hulk, makes Thomas look small. I'd be wary of him in the 1st rd as well, would take Ogbuehi over him hands down.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    JaWuan James is a better football player period.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    He's ok. I don't see anything particularly compelling about him- a solid RT with some power, decent in pass pro, some quickness issues. Looks kind of like Baby Huey out there to me.

What is it with watching these Tennessee offensive linemen, Dallas Thomas included? It's about as satisfying as eating a plate of tofu.

Richardson certainly looks the part, but my concern would be that he'd end up being a bigger, stronger version of Dallas Thomas. I see an ok pass blocker, decent run blocker who should be so much better at it given how freaking big and solid he is. Where's the aggression? The kind of player that could easily get overdrafted because of his measurables and he's so physically imposing, then underperform. To quote the immortal Joel Buchsbaum, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

I could see James around the 5th round- the thing is, if Billy Turner is sitting there in rd 5 who do you want, a Billy Turner with all his potential or JaWuan James? I'd probably take Turner. I can see in some ways why you prefer James over Richardson, but again, I just don't see anything particularly compelling about him. Positives and negatives in this clip, but to highlight one of my concerns about James (quickness, reflexes) take a look at him getting beat inside by a spin move at 2:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7yUAN2dZA

James in the 5th round as a potential starter and at least solid depth? Sure, I could go with that. Solid value there, less of a risk than Richardson taken higher, I don't see bust potential in him like with Dallas Thomas. Solid mid round pick.