1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If You're the Texans, Do You Take Clowney???

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Jan 1, 2014.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I know they need a QB, but putting Clowney opposite Watt would be nasty!

I'd do it.

2. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    No, I would not.

3. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    No way. No way. They are in good shape if they can get a qb. Texans and falcons are good ****ty teams IMO. Falcons had the pick then yeah I'd get him, but not texans.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Blockable.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    They shouldn't pick a Qb #1 if they aren't completely in love win him, just because they desperately need one.

shula_guy and jim1 like this.
  6. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Having him opposite Whitney Mercilus and J.J. Watt seems pretty good to me.

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    No. Take the QB

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ssmiami likes this.
  8. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    @AdamSchefter 4h South Carolina DE Jadaveon Clowney said he will leave school and enter NFL Draft. Top 5 pick.

9. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Since Bridgewater is coming out? No.

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Bridgewater seems to be everyone's default QB choice but I think Bortles has to enter the conversation for #1 pick.

SICK, seabass0795 and ckparrothead like this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He does. I think ultimately I go with Teddy but Blake is definitely in that conversation.

12. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    You'll never get me to forsake my love for Teddy for Blake "Butt Chart" Bortles

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    But you have to admit. That is a nice butt chart.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Disagree a 1000%.

There's no financial penalty anymore. If you're picking first and need a QB you take whichever one you think is the next big thing and cross your fingers.

15. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    If the draft were tomorrow and I had the first pick, it'd be Bortles. IMO, a bit of high-level NFL coaching and focus (which should happen between now and combine/pro-day, for instance) will eliminate the inconsistencies in his mechanics and smooth out his drop+set. With some polish there, his ceiling is higher than Teddy's, I think. Bortles has a little more gamer/playmaker/clutch to him. Though more athletic, Teddy reminds of Matty check-down in some ways, and I'm not a fan of Matt Ryan at all. Could see him turning out like Russell Wilson too. Bortles has a little Cam in him, imo, or like a Ben/Luck. Teddy's more ready to play day 1.

But really, they're both very very good prospects. If Bortles even comes out, lots to see between now and May.

ToddPhin likes this.
  16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Those are actually the two guys I thought Bortles reminded me of a cross of. I don't think the distance between Teddy and Blake is so extreme that I'd unequivocally go with Teddy. To me it's close enough that I'd go with the one who best fits my team, scheme, and offensive personnel. Bill O'Brien likes a physical offense that utilizes multiple TE formations, the occasional use of a fullback, and is orchestrated by a bigger, mobile QB, so I might be inclined to say Bortles could be the better fit, especially if they can get the defense back healthy and on track.

17. bmicO

bmicO New Member

Mar 25, 2013
    For me it all comes down to how much you like Bortles as to me he has the higher ceiling of the two QBs who could go 1, the size and arm strength combined with some coaching could make for a very good player. That said Bridgewater is clearly the more NFL ready guy, his accuracy is the best in the draft and he uses his feet in the pocket well, i just don't feel he's going to be that perennial pro bowl or there abouts QB that you've got to be looking for if you're picking at 1.

Clowney has basically taken himself out of the discussion for 1 overall with his play this season for me.

18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Maybe they should take Clowney and then trade up in the mid-late 1st round and get Manziel, package their high second and maybe their 3rd or a 2nd next year.

19. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I'm pretty surprised at the amount of people who would take Bortles over Bridgewater. I like Bortles a lot, but disregarding my long fanboyness for Teddy - I'm still definitively in his camp for #1 QB.

Outside of his size and deep ball (30-40+), I think he's far more polished than most QBs we've seen coming out. His footwork, mechanics when throwing on the run is superb - I mean he completed 82% of his passes when rolling right. He and Bortles are about the same when under pressure/ being blitzed. Teddy has a higher air yard YPC than Bortles for those talking about checkdowns.

Like I said, Bortles is definitely my #2 QB, but I'm a bit surprised so many people jumped on Bortles as a #1 guy (I'm not just talking about this forum). I'm not sure if it's just boredom with Bridgewater or what, but it seems like a lot of people have been looking to replace him whether it's with Carr or Bortles or Manziel.

20. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

I just wonder about Bridgewater's ceiling.

Honestly, I'd rather wait for Winston is come out next year.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    For a quarterback, the ceiling all about his mental and technical prowess, NOT his physical prowess. History has taught us this lesson over and over again but we continue to have a tendency to ignore it.