1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR preference- Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Dec 31, 2013.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Might as well get this discussion started, both are big receivers, Evans has the wheels and Benjamin has the ridiculous catch radius, red zone terror.

Evans:

6:42 here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icjr3eF-HpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl2OfgKbEBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE2dcmtpgAw

Benjamin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTkyr7Qv8mc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2T3FAEkCk

Freaking beast. Something interesting at 2;24 of the link right above- KB in the red zone from about the five, kind of a low trajectory fade pass- he locates the ball over his right shoulder, realizes that the pass is heade over his left shoulder, turns his head away from the ball in the air, adjusts from a right facing posture to a left facing posture and not only makes the catch, but makes it look easy. Good stuff. You combine that red zone prersence with a more efficient RT to Wallace connection, add some quality OL pieces, maybe a Te like Fiedorowicz and maybe get Gibson and Keller back, and you've got something to work with there. KB certainly isn't the fastest WR around, but what he brings to the table we need in spades- ball skills red zone threat, scoring threat, all of that.

As to KB vs Evans- really, I don't know yet. On the face of it I would say Evans, but I need to see a whole lot more.

The Play Maker Draft:

1. Mike Evans
    2. Kelvin Benjamin
    3. CJ Fiedorowicz
    4. Santreal Henderson
    5. Billy Turner
    6. Wesley Johnson
    7. Jon Halapio

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I prefer Allen Robinson. :lol:

3. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    To me it's Mike Evans and it's not even close. Here are the various attributes of each WRs:

-Mike Evans, better YAC
    -Mike Evans, better on screens
    -Mike Evans, better hands
    -Tie, red zone yardage/receptions
    -Tie, variety of routes
    -Tie, % deep catches, YPC
    -Mike Evans, younger

You know, Kelvin Benjamin is interesting as a big WR, but to me Evans is a big WR and takes it to the next step. He's not just a catch point, jump ball guy but has the ability to generate good run after the catch and not drop easy passes. Evans is like the next evolution of Kelvin Benjamin, except he's younger.

ssmiami likes this.
  4. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Kelvin Benjamin, it's not complicated.

5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Evans seems like a headcase to me. I could see potential problems for him in the NFL as a result.

Benjamin would be a great addition to Miami. I think I favor him, but only slightly

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    It is complicated, because although KJ is a red zone terror, he has some Ernest Wilford in him when it comes to speed and explosiveness, suddenness- he's no burner. Plus he was held back not one but 2 years in school when he was 12 or so, which could be an issue of intelligence, concentration, or maybe some really weird shiznit since he won;t discuss the nature of what went down, as far as I can tell. Very, very interesting player, but no shortage of flaws there.

7. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I disagree. I feel Benjamin is exceptionally explosive for that size, more explosive than Evans. This is not Wilford, BJ Cunningham, run of the mil non explosive big.

I think Evans is more polished, cuts into routes better, finds soft spots better, and thus helps the QB better. But Evans is not as explosive an athlete.

8. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Here's part of my problem with Benjamin and that's poor hands/ drops. This video are some of the drops I noticed (the first clip is a double catch). You have to actually watch his attempts to see this stuff, it doesn't show up on highlight reels.

[video=youtube;3llpin2PFv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3llpin2PFv4[/video]

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    For me it's Mike Evans and as much as I like Kelvin Benjamin, it's not close.

Phinfanjt likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You're right, it's not complicated. Mike Evans all the way.

Phinfanjt likes this.
  11. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    It's early, you'll come around.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Nope. This one I about guarantee I'm not coming around to.

13. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Benjamin is 6'5". Wilford is 6'4". Mike Evans is also 6'5". Why was BJ Cunningham brought into it? He's 6'1''

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Because the central issue is explosion and suddenness, or lack thereof. BJ Cunninham lacked that, clearly, that's why he's relevant here.

15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :jt0323:

16. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Are you implying KB lacks speed?? That's not the case at all. I would venture to say KB has better long speed then Evans.

I would still take Evans though for various reasons. But I thinks it's fairly close.

17. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Actually the statement was that Cunningham was a run of the mill non explosive BIG. Cunningham isn't big. He weighs more but he's the same height as Hartline.

Either way I'm not getting over a meaningless debate over this. I just think bringing BJ Cunningham into a conversation about "big" receivers was extremely lazy

18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    KB looks like a long strider to me who lacks explosion and suddenness. That's what I'm seeing, and my concern is how much separation he'll be able to get on CBs in the pros.