1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 reasons why Ireland and Philbin will remain

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Dec 30, 2013.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    1. 6 coaches now fired and 1 GM - a lot of competition, not a good situation based on reputation

2. no analysis has been done

3. Ross is clueless when making decisions off the cuff.....it's not his nature to do so. Ross will not cut his nose off to spite his face. More important is the perception across the league of how he handles things. We all know the debacle flying to Harbough, etc. That WILL NOT happen again. Anything that will be or could be perceived as hasty or incompetent will try to be avoided. This is as much of a public perception thing as it is a necessary thing.

4. interviews and prospective candidates will be looked at first before any decisions are made

5. length of time it takes to accomplish the above

6. Time will be a critical factor

7. the more time that goes by the more coaches that will be fired. The more coaches fired the less chance of quality replacements

8. There are legitimate reasons we failed, right or wrong. What those reasons are Ross will want to be sure of

9. Ireland and Philbin at 8-8 is better then 2-14

10. "Resetting" the franchise admits failure and Just not sure Ross is willing to admit that right now. "Resetting" potentially sets us back 2 or 3 more years. Even more lost revenue will occur as a result, another undesired outcome.

As the time runs short refer back to number 1

All of the above must occur to lure the right candidates if we are indeed going to make changes. We may even see a round of a couple secondary coaches being fired. It's why the coaching staff in my opinion is loaded with inexperience. Built in escape goats.

2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    You're dead-on correct with the first half of point #3 and dead-on wrong with the 2nd half of it. What makes you think that he hasn't already started looking...like he did towards the end of Sparano's last season? The only lesson learned from that debacle was to look behind you for sports writers before attending any meetings.

3. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    In today's NFL, approximately 6 or more HCs will be fired every year.

That's a poor excuse or reason for not firing your HC who most clearly failed in the most important games of his tenure

TooGoodForDez and unifiedtheory like this.
  4. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    1. Stupidity
    2. Stupidity
    3. Stupidity
    4. Stupidity
    5. Stupidity
    6. Stupidity
    7. Stupidity
    8. Stupidity
    9. Stupidity
    10. Stupidity

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Pretty sure you completely contradicted yourself with #3 and #4.

6. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Ross could always pull a Jerry Jones and fire Ireland and make himself the GM.
    Now that would really shake things up.

7. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    A decent new head coach and GM could probably make some tweaks and have this team in the playoffs next season. So it's definitely not going to happen.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  8. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Why do I have this sinking feeling that maybe you are correct?

With that being said, if more crap like the Harbaugh incident occurs and we end up with 2nd rate coach and or GM again, we may very well be talking becoming the Detroit Lions: mediocrity for decades

The reason I know it hasn't already been done:

1. is because up until yesterday we could have made the playoffs

2. It's Stephen Ross

9. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Are you ranking your top ten posts ? That was easy.

2socks likes this.
  10. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    It's not an excuse. It is my opinion why it will not be done. If it is done it will be a week, maybe more before it happens. Please don't misunderstand my intent here. I am not looking to make excuse. I would like to illicit some decent friendly conversation though.

11. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    really?

why bother if you can't add anything?

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  12. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Due to Matt Millen.

13. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    yep sorry....edited it. Hope you get my point

14. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :chuckle:

BTW, those pics in your sig—are they from the backs of milk cartons?

15. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I don't get you guys that keep saying this. There are several of you that acknowledge outright if small changes were made we would be in the playoffs. that indicates to me that Ireland hasn't done a terrible job, just need's to be tweaked.

Consider this. If Ireland got rid of Burnette and Dansby at the request of Philbin and did the best he could with what was available filling the OL problem, how could he have known that the Incognito thing would blow up when it did? If the Incognito thing didn't happen, would we have made the playoffs and would we be happy with the progress. If this is the case then this is not hard to fix with who we got. Why blow up the team for the sake of blowing up the team?

16. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Ross could be too cautious after the Harbaugh fiasco. He could also second guess himself if he thinks maybe Ireland and Philbin need more time to get it right. If that is his choice he better hope for some definite improvement or the fan base will largely turn against him.

17. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    They were on the back of 2014 wildcard playoff tickets.

Too soon:cry:

bigbry and NaboCane like this.
  18. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    2+2=4, better?

Lighten up, Francis

19. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    You know this first hand? Do you have inside information?

20. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Trying a little too hard are you?

21. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    your right I need to

22. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    what do you mean?

23. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    The history of Matt Millen is legendary at this point, he has become the bottom of the bottom and Jeffy is being compared to him. Its simple.

24. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Do you really believe that or do you need someone to blame? WADR

25. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    I easily stand by my post.

26. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Being compared by whom? People on this board?

Jeff Ireland has had 2 years to work with Joe Philbin.

The first year Philbin got what he got------what was already here

Ireland and Philbin made adjustments with Philbins input to satisfy the schemes Philbin and company are trying to run. This included Long , Davis, Dansby, Burnette and Bush.

Philbin's entire career has been as a line coach-----entire career

It is obvious Philbin and Ireland believed that we were set with what we needed, at least for this season.

No one could have predicted Martin/Incognito scandel

Not sure how much Ireland could have been expected to do half way thru the season

We did not make the playoffs because of the Linebacker play and the offensive line

Fix it and we are a 10+ win team. Not sure one season will be enough though and I am certainly not sure what else Ireland could have done.

Sucks but Ireland and Philbin have had Two season's together and only one to jell and make adjustments. To me the other 4 don't count because Philbin wasn't involved

27. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    No, it was reported by Michael Silver on NFL Network.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/On-The-Ground/2013/12/Tv-Timeout-1216.aspx

Please read: MORE ABSURD

An NFL owner said it.

28. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Because you don't seem to understand the motivation. It's an ancient Roman gladiatorial spectacle. Mob mentality. Anger, disappointment, frustration, hate and thirst for revenge reign supreme. Nothing less than the gutters running red with coach, GM and player blood will satisfy them emotionally. Turn the beasts loose. Fire everyone. Logic is not involved.

2socks likes this.
  29. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I can be a very negative poster sometimes. This I am aware of and I have tried hard to be positive. Its funny and ironic that this thread by many will be looked at as negative even though I fully support this staff and this team:no:

30. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Theyre incapable.... That's the problem. Theyre just here to act immature.

2socks likes this.
  31. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I posted this on another site. it is my refinement of my argument supporting our team

Jeff Ireland should be and most likely will be retained along with Joe Philbin.

Here is why:

Philbin and Ireland have had 2 years together

Lets look at that. The first year, Philbin got what he got in terms of players that were here and implementing new schemes and systems. After last year's dismal performance of 7-9 Philbin and Ireland made adjustments that included, Jettisoning Long, Dansby, Burnette, Vonte and Bush. Attempts were made to replace Dansby and Burnette. Not a fair assessment of 2 guys who just got here. Give them time to adjust like any other player and lets reevaluate them. It is obvious that Dansby and Burnette made our D line and 2ndary better then the current set of linebackers. Water under the bridge at this point but not the end of the world. They will be better next year.

Offensive line. Philbin's strong point. In fact he does nothing better and he has been a career offensive line coach. Obviously Philbin felt Martin was going to step it up and if you believe some of what we have heard Incognito was tasked with making that happen. Philbin must have also had input into Long leaving. In fact I know he did because Incognito's Dad posted on another board multiple posts saying Philbin was all involved. In fact, Mommabilly, as he was known has quite a bit of dislike for both Ireland and Philbin and felt they were stringing his son along for less Money. It is obvious Long felt unwanted and unappreciated so he signed with the Rams. Long had direct conversations with Philbin. For whatever reason they were trying to get Long on the cheap and felt confident enough that if Long walked they could replace him with what we had.

No one could have seen the Incognito blow up coming. It is alleged that Martin has had a gun to his head 3 different times and the phins new about it. Again alleged. Not sure what could have been done in the middle of the season like that except to try and patch the holes. Not sure why Martin was even being considered except that, maybe the coaches just thought he needed to toughen up. Remember he was supposed to be good.

We did not make the playoffs because when the line imploded, so did everything else.

Had the line made it thru the season we would be talking playoffs. Where I have the problem is I question the way we lost. Losing I can handle, but not punching both the Bills and Jets in the mouth on the way to losing is unacceptable. If Sparano was here I can assure you we would have punched and at least knocked out a tooth.........

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    2socks likes this.