1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coach Motivation/Inspiration Myth

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GreysonWinfield, Dec 29, 2013.

1. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    So I keep hearing about how Philbin doesn't motivate/inspire/connect with the players. It seems people expect the "kick *** speech" and think the switch gets flipped on. In reality one of the biggest things for an athlete is to control their emotions and put their energy in their play There are no magical words that make them tear lockers off the wall before hitting the field or makes them become some kind of HOF player.

So why am I bringing this up? I live near Philly so I get to see plenty of Eagles games. Watching Chip Kelly's play calling and coaching style is clearly what what motivates/inspires players. Watching tonight it's 3rd and 20 on 2 occasions? There is no handoff, they are going for it. And on 1 of 2 occasions they got it, on the 2nd coming up a yard or 2 short. That 53-1/2 yards of field that sounds like some stupid **** to an outsider? Tell that to the players who live in a game of inches. Putting his players in the best position to make a play, those guys live for it and are clearly having fun & winning playing this way. The coach is willing to take risks because he knows the players will buy in.

Yeah I know the Phins have no talent, none, blah blah blah. They won 8 games and as much as I like Philbin, the reality is they should have won at least 11. For those believing the Any Given Sunday bull****, go watch an Eagles game to see how coaching, not speeches, inspire players.

2. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I agree that coaching means a hell of a lot in this league and sadly we just haven't had it in a long time. Team has enough talent and could be the next Arizona Cardinals/KC Chiefs story with the right hires.

gunn34 likes this.
  3. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Chip Kelly was the freaking hire of the year. Damn this Philly offense is scary.

4. magicap

magicap Shonuff

Jan 21, 2012
    Let's face it the offense doesn't work without the qb. They have found the qb of the future. He will be there for years to come.

5. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    They have a QB who can throw a deep ball, and a HC who is actually an expert and has HC experience. We don't have that. We have a fake QB and a fake HC. #fireland

6. GreysonWinfield

Nov 1, 2009
    1 jump ball and an awesome adjustment on another last night. Its been all year like that for this team, because they know the coach is going to let them play.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    There's more than one way to motivate your players. unfortunately, I don't see Philbin using any of these. don't get me wrong, I'm fine with Philbin as a head coach, he has plenty of other positive qualities. but, if we realize that Philbin is not a motivator, maybe the next coordinators are guys that should be stronger motivators to complement Philbin's coaching style.

gunn34 likes this.
  8. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Motivation is overrated.

For me coaching is all about making the correct calls in particular situations.
    Knowing your team.
    Understanding down and distance.
    Reading the flow of the game and adapting/adjusting to what you're seeing on the field.
    Putting players in the best position to make plays and be successful.

Other than that, it's on the players. Mike Wallace dropping a deep ball - on Mike Wallace. Ryan Tannehill missing Mike Wallace wide open deep - on Ryan Tannehill. Daniel Thomas being asked to pick up Marcel Dareus on a blitz? That's on the coaches.

9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Motivation is overrated at the pro level. Guys are motivated by money, fame, peer respect, pride, I don't think rah rah speeches move the needle much.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    No one ever expected Philbin to be a great speech maker, but he lacks charisma and any real semblance of a personality. In two huge games to close out a season his team came out flatter than a week old opened can of soda. And this isn't on him at all? Of course he's supposed to coach well, but he's also supposed to inspire and motivate his players, to get the best out of him. He didn't. You don't have to be a rah rah coach to to that, but you have to do it.

There's all types- Shula, Landry, Lombardi, Madden, Cowher, take your pick. Different styles, so quiet, some more forceful personalities, but they got their teams jacked up to play and more often than not got great effort out of them, especially in big games, whether the games were won or lost- the players came to play. And Philbin? Were the Miami Dolphins ready and jacked up to play the last two huge games? I think not. Of course no one knows exactly what happens behind closed doors, but personality wise, from what I've seen inspired leadership wise, Philbin is a dud. OC material more than HC material, bottom line.

11. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    To the people who think motivation doesn't matter, I say the Ravens would not have won the Superbowl last year if Ray Lewis wasn't in their ear. Our team had no motivation the last two games, and we got our a$$es handed to us in both. It means alot, and to me, if Philbin doesn't jettison Sherman this A.M. and replace him with someone who can motivate this group of players, fire him too. Sparano wasn't a good coach, but he motivated the team. We probably win both the last two games with him at the helm, and I didn't really like the coach.

12. GreysonWinfield

Nov 1, 2009
    That goes back to player respect. Lewis talking about blood, giving your all, etc, is much different than hearing it from the guy who has the headset on.