1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was Today's game a Burden or Blessing?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Dec 29, 2013.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Had to take some time to digest what I witnessed these past two weeks. After last week I was flabbergasted as to how after such an emotional victory over NE you can come out to Buffalo against the same backup QB and have no passion, no aggressiveness, and most of all NO energy. Well, it's a recurring theme. Not only did we lost in a embarrassing fashion but the loss didn't hurt us and still set us up to get into the playoffs with the best chance. So what do we do? We come out flat again. I know some of the things I say are like a broken record but a team will always take on a part of their coaches personality and persona. Think about the issues we have as a team they are pretty indicative of how Philbin comes across to us a fan base. So, after the game today I didn't scream, didn't shed any tears, didn't break anything...it was expected. As a dolphin fan when is let down not expected?

But, after a little time to let the dust settle and to really analyze what this means for our team? I came to a few points here. 1. We are NOT a Super Bowl team. 2. We more than likely would've been 1 and done in the playoffs (Wouldn't of been too worried of Cincy but still). 3. The only way there would be personnel changes is to lose and miss out on the playoffs in this fashion. 4. Not everything can be placed on the FO and Coaching staff, as the players are the ones who need to execute and they did not these last two weeks.

So, in fact if we look at it are we in worse shape? As a avid fan I always want to make the playoffs and never want to tank for a draft pick or for a staff to get fired but in reality this might be the thing we needed most. And why is that?

Stephen Ross for all his excitement a few three weeks ago after the NE game, has to be just as disgusted as any of us. But, the real question remains...Will he make the changes that are necessary? Time will tell.

The reality in my mind is that these losses in this manner are the catalyst to spark change in this organization. Which is a good thing, because if we made the playoffs I think Philbin keeps all his staff. Ross keeps Ireland and we will always have holes in our team. This way rather than more years of let down and mediocrity we can bring in a new change.

But, here is what I'd be looking for:

1. Move with haste. We've been down this road before and had our Owner assess the organization and take too much time to make a decision. As we can already tell teams are going to be moving quickly with cleaning house this off season, equally they will be moving quickly on hiring top candidates. Bill O'Brien (whom is a top candidate on my list) is already interviewing with the Texans, Ken Whisenhunt is the next in line to interview in Houston as well. Most importantly is to make our decisions on this organization and the changes that need to be made. If you are going to make changes fire quickly, and move quickly. Don't rush into a decision but don't miss out on top candidates but waiting too long to make a decision in house.

2. Fire Ireland once and for all. There is not one argument anyone can make that would justify us keeping him? Moreover, it's as simple as this...Wins and Losses. He has more losses than wins in his tenure here. He has had one winning season and that was when he wasn't in full control. His drafting is suspect, his FA is suspect, his reputation is suspect, and most of all his trust within his own organization is suspect. Learn from past mistakes and realize for the right change to be made it needs to start at the top.

Then bring on an experience Front Office personnel who has been in a successful organization. Look at the structure the Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots have established these past few years. With that being said let him pick and choose his coach. Do NOT try to force feed a new GM the current coach with have. If he evaluates Philbin and believes he is the man to do the job, so be it.

3. Assess the Head Coach. While Ireland really has no argument for him to be retained, Philbin also has few reasons of his own to stick in Miami. I liked the hiring at first, but didn't look into his actual involvement in GB. I believe Philbin to be a good man, but this is football and there have been a lot of good men to have little success in the NFL. If you break it down what does he do as a coach that is above average? But seriously, Game Planning? No. Adjustment? Nope. In-Game adjustments? Ha. Leadership? Oh, please. Charisma? Of a mummy. But, most of all is what I say today and why I will say it over and over again. We need a coach that our players will fight tooth and nail for. Look at Rex Ryan, his team by the way they rallied around him and played their butt off saved his job. A coach who is fiery who learns from his mistakes and develops just like his team. We need someone who has head coaching experience doesn't have to be NFL level but needs to be it at some level.

Once, the GM is identified he chooses his coach. My hope and gut tells me that Philbin won't be our new GM's first choice and that is ideal. Just find someone who can develop this young and talented roster, (yes, this roster is playoff talented, no one should argue that). Find someone who is innovative in their schemes and play calling.

4. Clean house with the Coordinators and Staff. Neither Mike Sherman or Kevin Coyle are worth a damn as coordinators. Coyle has never been it before and it shows. He like Philbin seems clueless to making necessary in-game adjustments. For instance, why in the hell were we giving the Jet's WR's so much cushion, when we are playing with down. Not like the Jet's receivers strike fear in any of the rest of the league but us. We made them look above average today which is pathetic. Also, time and time again the screen passes and the 3rd and long conversions have killed me all season.

Sherman is even worse. It's not as though he has one problem, he has many. And they are recurring. Play calling is the biggest one and is probably the most important for an Offensive Coordinator. He will be known in Miami as the man who is afraid of the sneak. Yes, we have a 6'4" QB who is capable of running the ball, but never ever should we let him pick up those inches to a first down by diving head first under center. No, No, No we should run a stretch play with our athletic tackles that makes sense. But, it's not only the play calling. It's his personnel groupings, it's his loyalties to some players, to be quite honest is everything.

Not too mention we have a staff that is comprised of some holdovers from the last regime, and those who have zero NFL coaching experience. Makes sense doesn't it with one of the NFL's younger rosters. All of needs to be cleaned.

5. Hire a capable and experience staff. Let's start with DC. Well, if you look at the trend in the NFL on defense it's variety. You see 3-4 teams running multiple schemes and blitzes to confuse offenses. Not many are better than the Seahawks and 49ers. If you look at our defensive roster it is more talented that what we showed this year. But, I believe we would excel as a 3-4 team. Ideally, we need a creative mind to utilize all of our talent. We need to find ways to have all our best players on the field equally. Dion Jordan is too talented not to play more whether it's LB or DE or whatever just get him on the field.

For OC, find someone who looks at our offense as a cabinet of groceries that he just needs to use the right recipe for. No, I am not giving up on RT17. No, I am not sure if he is the real deal, as he is still too inconsistent but it's year 2 people behind the worst line and rushing game in NFL. But, I do believe he is hindered by this staff and it is only impeding his development. What we need is someone who looks at our QB, WR's, and TE and see weapons but isn't satisfied. Someone who is going to come in and give us balance but give us what we have been missing and that is an identity. Someone who will find ways to get Wallace the ball in space, who will be able to get all WR's on the field at the same time, who can figure out that Lamar Miller needs room to operate to be effective, someone who can look at Tannehill and know what offense he will thrive in, and someone who will play to our strengths and help to fix our weaknesses.

Additionally, with a staff find NFL experienced one. But, more importantly there are 3 position coaches I wanted to address as most important:

LB coach - I don't care who it is but find a former player. Find someone who has played in the NFL and knows what it takes to be successful. Someone who coaches with a nastiness and makes his players play like crazed dogs. Develop hungry players and play fast. Not sure I have seen a Miami LB unit as pathetic as what I have seen this year and for the amount of money they have spent it's pathetic.

OL Coach - Jim Turner is so bad its funny. The fact our line played better after losing Incognito and Martin is just as indicative on the coach as the players. How in the hell do you not make a change or mix things up early in the season when Tannehill is consistently digging grass out of his helmet. While our OLine has been notoriously bad its sad that we have a coach who cannot develop high draft picks at those positions, because no one can say we have neglected drafting Offensive Lineman.

QB Coach - Just as important as anything this off season. Zac Taylor is terrible as the development of Tannehill has been inconsistent ot say the least. Yes, he has developed by not to what I was hoping. Find someone who can work with Tannehill on his accuracy, on his timing, on his deep ball, but most of all can teach him to use all of his skills. When he needs to run...run. When it's time to break the pocket...do it. Staring off the safety, clock management, exposing a defenses weaknesses, etc. Chad Pennington would be my first call.

With that being said that is just from a Front Office and staff perspective. I wanted to get your guys thoughts see if you had any possible new hires in mind for what you'd like to see.

I plan to post what I'd like to see done with our roster once we figure out which direction Mr. Ross is leaning.

ASOT, finwin, Da 'Fins and 1 other person like this.
  2. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Well written post. Ireland definitely needs to be gone along with both coordinators. I believe Philbin should be as well. Just praying we hire a new GM who brings in a competent head coach that can right this train wreck.

ASOT and zwave21 like this.
  3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    It was a burden because it's just another wasted season, mired in mediocrity. It just adds to a culture of losing and makes it harder for new GMs or coaches to change anything.

ASOT likes this.
  4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    It's only a blessing if the team takes corrective steps to fix the problem. Ross is an incompetent douchebag. Most likely, just another burden.

ASOT, Aquafin and Da 'Fins like this.
  5. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Before this game, I would have said the team is improving, but after this game and after a 2-4 division record, I believe we are actually falling behind in the division. I completely agree about Zack Taylor and also very good points about Philbin and letting a new GM make his own coaching decisions.

6. rapidturtle

rapidturtle New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    It's a blessing if they clean house. It needs to be done.

7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm claiming if the Dolphins clean house and the Jets don't, we're the real winners today, losing to an awful team aside.

8. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I think that initial question is a bit of a problem. Had the Dolphins won this game solidly with good offensive play - well, that would have made it a different kind of team than it is in reality right now, right? Had they won the past two weeks - that would have meant they played better, had more confidence, etc.

The loss is the loss - it's not a burden or blessing. It does, as far as the entire season goes, tell you something about this team. But, had they won, and won solidly, that would have told us something very different about the team.

But, generally good write up. At this point, I would agree with several of your points. Ireland must go. So, too, most of the staff. I also would evaluate Philbin but I think i'd be interested in giving him another year. But, if I get a new GM he has to have control. ANd I would think he'd at least fire much of the offensive staff.

The challenge of cleaning house is what that does to Tannehill.

9. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Ross needs to be angry at the screwing he got at the hands of the Dade county election board and Irelands draft having so little impact this year. Jamar Taylor big disappointment, Nolan Carroll would be a dime corner not a starter for most teams.

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Rex Ryan went 8-8 with Geno Smith as his QB. Took Mark Sanchez to back to back AFC championships. Rex Ryan is a football god compared to the Dolphins coaching staff. The Jets simply need a GM who can acquire talent and Rex will coach them up. Whether or not they've got the right guy now, who knows.

11. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    What's our draft pick? Atleast it's higher then the jets

12. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    We'll be 17 I think.

13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    if making the playoffs and losing to the bengals would have kept ireland's job safe for another year and if losing the last two games gets Ireland fired finally, then this is the best scenario that could have happened. I'll trade missing the playoffs for Ireland's firing anyday

Aquafin likes this.
  14. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Jets are what? 18. 19? Real winners today are the rams. Get the #2 pick with going .500

15. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Oh god... I forgot about that. This is the pick from Washington for RGIII right? Damn. Well played, STL.

16. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Yeah, it's bad when you know the skins weren't even playing for a better pick, they are just that bad, and in bigger trouble then we are. We correct a few things we can be a playoff team. Also tannehill 90 yards shy of 4000, I'd tip my cap to him for what he did with that oline. Worst in the nfl

MAFishFan, dolfan32323 and 77FinFan like this.
  17. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    That trade and the Falcons trade for Julio Jones were huge mistakes.

Rams will be a contender if they draft wisely this year.

18. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Today I wanted playoffs. Even Jeff Ireland keeping his job wouldn't change that. If I could go back in time and affect the outcome of the game somehow I would. I'd never cheer for the Dolphins to not make the playoffs. That being said: If Ireland is fired because of this collapse long term missing playoffs would be a blessing.

MAFishFan likes this.
  19. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Might grab a good LT there.

20. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Blessing.

We needed this to happen so Ross hires a quality GM that will work with Philbin or bring in a qualified HC to bring the Dolphins back into respectability LONG TERM

We are going to need patience, this repair will take time.

21. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Positives:
    We get a better pick then the Jets
    We get the Jags next seasons

22. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    here is what many are over looking.

#1 we were lucky in four of our wins but we looked better against the Saints and Ravens then we did in the last four games so we haven't really looked all that special anyways.

#2 how was the attendance today was it better or worse.? what about mr Ross will he be pissed or will he white wash this season and then next year our stadium looks worse next year ?

23. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no idea exactly what screwing by the election board you are referring to. The fact is that the Dade County Commission gave approval for a vote on renovations for the stadium but it was the Florida Legislature which did not pass a bill which would have allowed the vote to take place.

Obviously you don't live in Miami, so you have no idea what happened or why the vote did not take place. Also, Ross is a billionaire and the stadium is privately owned. If he wants to renovate his privately owned stadium. Let him pay for it himself.

24. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    i dont see how losing can be a blessing honestly sure maybe people get fired but if they were any good in the 1st place we wouldnt of lost so by that fact losing is the reason they are bad. So its pointless to hope we lose imo.

25. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Negatives: The jets draft pick will actually play...........I am sure the Jags are happy about that too!

26. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Plus they got Jeff Fisher and we got stuck with Philbin. The Rams are going to be a very good football team next season. It is just too bad they play in the toughest division in the NFL.

27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Many Dolphin fans were happy that the Dolphins got to play the Bills twice and the Jets twice, as well as the Bucs, prior to the start of this season.

Unfortunately the Dolphins went 1-4 against these teams. So being happy the Jags are on next years schedule right now certainly doesn't mean that will be a sure wins for these Dolphins.

28. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    not saying it will, but rather face the jags then Titans.

29. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    funny how much difference 3 years can make

30. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    After what I saw from the Dolphins the past two weeks. I'm sure any team in the NFL which has them on their schedule next year are looking at that game, the same way you are looking at the Jags.
    In fact I'm sure the Jags would rather be playing the Dolphins than the Titans next year too. Unfortunately for the Jags, they are in the same division as the Titans and therefore they have to play them twice next year.

31. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Atleast we are not Dallas.

32. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
  33. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That team at least competed against a playoff caliber team today with a backup quarterback as their starter. Our "franchise" quarterback couldn't score more than 7 points against the Jets at home - the Jets is a team with far less talent than we do at both sides of the line and we ended up with the same record as them.

34. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    will be amazing to see Henne throw for 400 yards. You just know its going to happen to us

35. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This team didn't have passion, and with that THIS FAN here doesn't have much passion for the dolfrowns. Excited to have a few months without embarrassment. This team had the playoffs gift wrapped to them and they said no thanks! Said no thanks! Can't get over that. My fandom went down ten-fold after this past two weeks. The way I look at it, if they don't care why should I? So disappointed in this organization. College sports is soo much better, kids play for the love of the game still with enthusiasm and energy.

36. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    This loss is a blessing in disguise.

37. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Losses are never blesses in disguise. This loss is a burden. We would be a playoff team. Instead, our season is over.

38. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Losses that force change when you've needed change for oh so long are a blessing. It's what makes this loss so easy to get over.

39. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    No, playoffs are more important. We had a shot with a win, and we blew it. It's a burden.

40. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Yes but last season people probably said "We get the Chiefs/Panthers next season"! Jags could be the team that turns it around. It happens every year.

I guess its a blessing, but it should've happened in 2011. Feels like a total waste of 2 years. But its also a burden that they blew a shot at what has become a RARE 21st century playoff appearance.