1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What moves would you make in the offseason? (Front Office, GM, draft, free agency)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fins104, Dec 29, 2013.

1. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Here is what I would do

We don't need a complete rebuild but we need a restructuring and overhaul. First off, Ireland should go. I don't think his personnel choices are terrible but they aren't great and he is an awful face of a franchise. Sherman needs to go as well. Awful. Philbin can stay for all i care but if our new GM wants a new coach i have no problem with that.

I Kevin Coyle doesnt want to switch to a 3-4 then he can go as well. We have the personnel of a 3-4 defense.

Personnell wise- The only people you keep on the O-line are Pouncey and Garner as a backup. Draft 1 tackle, 1 guard who can start next year in the draft. Get rid of John Jerry. Sign 1 Guard who can actually run block and 1 tackle whose specialty is pass blocking for next year. As bad as people talk about our pass blocking, our run blocking is 150X worse.

Get rid of Daniel Thomas for a late round pick, sign Legarrette Blount as our power back if he doesnt resign with the Pats to be Lamar Miller's compliment.
    Resign Dustin Keller. We missed a traditional tight end badly.
    Draft Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin in the draft. Everything we do in the passing game is finesse. We need a guy who we can throw the ball up to when we need it.
    Draft or sign a 3rd RB who can be a guy who goes off into the slot. A "sproles" type of player who can be a force in the return game. Marcus Thigpen needs to go or at lead not be our returner anymore.
    Cut Wheeler. Don't care about the money, eat it. Just get him as far away from me as humanly possible. Sign a second ILB to complement Ellerbe who is great against the run.
    Cut Patterson and resign Carroll and Clemons.

This team needs to be changed a bunch.

2. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Basically what i'm saying is this team needs a big target at WR, a traditional TE in keller back, a competent O-line and a new scheme defensively.

Aquafin likes this.
  3. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Pretty much agree with you.
    I'd just want the obvious things, like fixing the Oline, a big receiver, and this team would be a lot better with a good coach and OC.

Honestly it sucks bc this was a perfect easy season to get in and make noise. Most years the AFC isn't so weak.

4. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The first thing that needs to happen is that there needs to be an organizational restructuring.

First of all, the business office and the football front office needs to come under one umbrella. We have an absentee owner, so this team needs someone that can be the owner's representative at the football office on a daily basis. The team needs to have the business headquarters and football headquarters at the same spot, the way it was before Parcells came in and wrecked the structure of the organization.

If I were Stephen Ross, I would pursue Bryan Weidmeier to be the President and CEO of the Miami Dolphins. All businness and football related functions would fall under him. Bryan was in Miami for a long time and was groomed by Eddie Jones to take over his spot. He's a good guy and is great at what he does.

The most important thing that can happen is firing Jeff Ireland though. You have to have competent people running the football operations, and Jeff is not competent enough to run a team.

5. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Replace soilai and get a better oline and coaching .

6. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Do we really need to ask this question after 5 non-winning, non playoff seasons under Ireland? What do you think the move should be?

7. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    well I was ripped for defending Wanny but I see now that I was right about him not just the wins and losses but we had Class , style and no bull crap coming from the front office. Granted Dave's drafts sucked but not near as bad as Irelands .
    the most important move of all is we need a new gm I am so sick of Jeff Ireland and Mike Sherman.

I think we need to look at whether or no we need skill position coaches as well as a head coach.

8. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Fire them all - Ireland, Philbin, and his staff.

9. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    If you actually go back and look at the drafts rather than talking out of your *** hoping nobody would check you would see that Ireland's drafts are much better than wanny's.

10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I was at the game today and what I saw was a team which showed no excitement and appeared like they were content to finish the season 8-8 and not go to the playoffs.

Once again, Philbin was totally out coached by Ryan, after being out coached by The Bills head coach Marrone. Right now Philbin has to be considered the worst head coach in the AFC East. I would take Belicheck, Ryan, or Marrone over Philbin right now and the Dolphins would be a better team. I'm beginning to realize why Philbin had never been a HC at any level of football before he was hired for the job by the Dolphins. The reason appears to be that he just is fit for the job and everyone but Ross realized this and that is why he had never been anything but an assistant coach at any level.

Usually I think a HC needs three years to show what he can do. I have already seen enough from Philbin to feel he just doesn't have what it takes to get the job done. With the Bills already showing they are better than the Dolphins at this time and the Jets improving under Ryan. I can easily see the Dolphins finishing last in the AFC East next year if Philbin is still the Dolphins HC and Ireland remains as the teams GM.

It all now comes down to Ross doing what he needs to do to improve this football team. This starts with firing Ireland and the entire coaching staff. He should hire a "President of football operations", and let this individual hire the next GM and HC.

Ross is the only person who can do what is needed to turn this organization around and if he stays with the status quo, I don't see many Dolphin fans supporting him.

11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Yet the Dolphins are a sub 500 team over the six years Ireland has been the teams GM. Wannstedt was fired because of his inability to select talent in the draft which would improve this team. Now it is time Ireland is fired for that same reason. He has had plenty of opportunity to rebuild this team over the past six years and he has failed in his job.

12. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Im not saying IReland has been great. You said Wanny was better when he wasn't. He was downright terrible. He was the worst drafter I've ever seen. That has nothing to do with ireland.

13. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Management-wise, I'd fire Ireland and Sherman. But, if it would've been up to me, Ireland would have been fired two years ago. I wouldn't fire Coyle, personally, but I won't moan too much if he's let go. If Ireland isn't let go, I think Ross might be top-5 among the worst owners in the NFL.

Player-wise, my 'cut list' would have Daniel Thomas and Phillip Wheeler at the top.

We need 2 new RBs. Miller isn't the answer. We need a legitimate RB and we need a short-yardage back in the worst way. I still think Tannehill is the real deal. I think we're good at WR. We need a legit TE. Not a hybrid TE... a real TE to complement Clay.

I think a major overhaul of the OL goes without saying. A legit OG is imperative, and I think a veteran is necessary. Defense-wise, I'd look at bringing in a dominant DT or OLB early in the draft. Someone really disruptive.

14. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Fire Philbin and replace him with Al Golden.