1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Scotch malt is no match for American whiskey'

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by maynard, Dec 27, 2013.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Curious what the whisk(e)y drinkers in here think. I've slowly made my way to whiskey over the last couple of years. Now its the only spirit I like.

I've become a bourbon guy.

Scotch is good, but imo the good scotch is too expensive. Your $20-$30 bottle of bourbon is much better than any scotch you can get for the same price. Bourbon is the best drink for your money

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...ch-malt-is-no-match-for-American-whiskey.html

2. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    go ahead and start making jokes now.

I prefer Knob Creek.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I don't like bourbon. The corn stuff at least.

I did like Gentleman Jack's. And Crown Royal (though that's Canadian). I like the caramelly, butterscotch thing that American Whiskeys sometimes have. Knob Creek included. If I am not mistaken, right next to the distillery there is a yearly machine gun shoot too.

[video=youtube;KaRUxmw35lI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaRUxmw35lI[/video]

[video=youtube_share;RUSjhuRUDCg]http://youtu.be/RUSjhuRUDCg[/video]

Some amazing guns in there from Barrett .50 Cals to mini-gun, to old WWI machine guns,

It's not associated with the distillery though.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Blasted on bourbon, eh?

Well this explains your incredibly high tolerance for pain.

5. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Confucius say Bourbon is the evil behind many bad posts.

[​IMG]

6. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I like pot still Irish whiskies. Redbreast is pretty much all I can get in the US.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Creek? I believe the preferred spelling is "the" and it should proceed the subject. I understood what you meant though. There's this whole thread...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Kirkland brand Small Batch Kentucky Bourbon, aged 7 years. Yes, that Kirkland, as in Costco. $19.99/1Liter, 103 proof. Toffee, tropical fruit, Hints of honey and smoke on the back of the tongue. With a little cold water, smooth as silk. As good as whiskeys costing twice as much; better than most.

I'm digging the bourbons and artisanal ryes (if you haven't tried any of Hudson Baby's whiskeys, you're missing out) but c'mon. Scotch is Scotch. Nothing like it..

BicketyBam, ToddPhin and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  9. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    <3 .

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm just getting started on Bourbons and am working on a bottle of Evan Williams 1783 [10 year] as we speak. Definitely doesn't taste like fourteen bucks {said Bambi}. Have a feeling I'll be returning to it time and time again as I think I prefer the sweeter profile.

Made for a delicious egg nog BTW.

maynard likes this.
  11. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I cut my teeth on Scotch, and personally find corn spirits too sweet. Not saying one is better than the other just laying out my prejudices.

The mass produced rubbish from Jimmy and Johnny is only good for cleaning drains. I'm not drinking either.

There is no doubt that the US small batch whiskies are improving and rapidly. There are some very good small distilleries in Oregon that are getting seriously good reviews, but aren't imported into my part of the world. But the small production run stuff I've found has really improved a lot over the last 10 years. Something you can sip neat and enjoy.
    Scotch on the other hand has faced a lot of expansion and a number of distilleries have dropped quality in order to improve production. The worst seems to be over and quality is starting to climb back up. Scotch also has the benefit of having seriously good regional characteristics, with Islay, Lowlands, Highlands, Speyside and the Orkneys all having good regional characteristics. For me this makes Scotch more interesting. On the downside is that distilleries are now offering ridiculous variant bottlings with some distilleries having over a dozen different variants on offer - quite simply they can't all be good.

Japanese whisky is becoming more approachable for international customers. Their whiskeys used to be tuned specifically for Japanese palates but are now broader. Quite enjoyable.

Australian/New Zealand Whiskey. Still essentially a garage industry, small volume artisanal product. Sullivan's Cove and Hellyer's Rd in particular are turning out fantastic whiskeys. Very much in the Scottish style.

Irish Whisky. Triple distilled, which makes for a cleaner/smoother flavour as more aromatics have been removed, but not as distinctive as Scottish.

Very old whisk(e)ys. Once you start getting over 20 years old the flavour of the wood takes over from the base taste. In blind tastings it is practically impossible to tell a 30 yo bourbon from a 30 year scotch from a 30 year old Irish and a 30 year old Cognac. Fantastic things to drink, but for me if I'm paying a boatload of money for a 30 y.o. Scotch whiskey, I want to be able to taste the Scotch part, not just the 30 y.o. whiskey part.

Galant, 305 and maynard like this.
  12. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I'm unashamedly biased, but would pick a Single Malt over a bourbon any, and every, day of the week. Having said that, two presents this year which were gratefully received and will be very much enjoyed are bottles of Gentleman Jack and Woodford Reserve. I enjoy both whisky and whiskey. I actually drink a lot more bourbon than malt, but bourbon is my go-to drink whereas I keep malt for special occasions.

Price-wise over here, good whiskeys are almost the same price as malt (upwards of £30ish = $45), so cost doesn't come into it that much. Whisky gets a battering from tax and duty from our own (UK Westminster) government, which has been a sore point for years. Most countries wouldn't hamstring their own world renowned product so much...but that's probably something more for the POFO forum than here!

ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  13. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    My experience lies mostly with single malt scotches. That's what I know I like. I admit I have a clumsy palate, except with bourbons. When I was very young, I had a very bad union with Southern Comfort. And that after taste of bourbon haunts me wherever I go. Even simply in bourbon casked scotches. I snuff out that bourbon flavor and it really disagrees with me.

NaboCane and Bpk like this.
  14. Bpk

So Co is more a liqueur than liquor. Sweetened and lower alc content.

Give one of the other brands mentioned in this thread a chance.

Not Wild Turkey though. I threw up on that gnarly ****e.

15. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka

I'm not in the least bit surprised.

16. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    My wife feels the same about So.Comfort. Really sick apparently when she was younger. I've almost always enjoyed the taste of various whiskeys and it was something at times where she couldn't even be in the same room with its various aromas. lol

NaboCane likes this.
  17. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I recently received a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black as a gift, man what a smooth scotch with a hint of smoky flavor. Good stuff.

NaboCane and bigbry like this.
  18. Bpk

Yeah. SoCo is like the ladies' version of whiskey. Sort of the Peach Schnapps of Whiskeys.

No offense Seth. I drank it in 1st year college when I didn't know the sugar content was gonna make me ill.

Seriously, try something gentle and smooth, but not sweet and I'd recommend avoiding smoky too at first if the smell of whiskeys can trigger your nausea. You need a very neutral whiskey to get used to it again.

Alternately, you can get used to it by eating stuff with a whiskey taste… a lot of desserts have Jack Daniels or bourbon hints. Like some pecan pies, or like maple syrup with whisky flavor.

However you do this, it's VERY IMPORTANT we get you hooked on whiskey.

19. Bpk

What do people mean when they say smooth? I never quite knew.

I took it to mean is doesn't taste harsh as hell in the mouth. So the alcohol is well integrated instead of jet-fuel tasting.

20. Bpk

Last thing… I lean red in college that the best way to drink whiskey from the bottle (which you should;t do if it's good whiskey) is to inhale, then chug, then exhale immediately. Less harsh that way.

Not sure how this applies, but I'm sure there is the potential for jokes.

21. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Personally I rinse with Crown Royal two times a day for 30 minutes.

NaboCane, RGF, Bpk and 1 other person like this.
  22. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    I remember from my youth, drinking Alabama Slammers one night with a girl.
    The passionate copulation that followed, I will never forget.

Bpk likes this.
  23. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    1/2 oz vodka
    1/2 oz Southern Comfort
    1/2 oz amaretto
    1/2 oz sloe gin
    orange juice

24. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    But soco is basically a bourbon. And I have tried. Like I said, I even tried scotches just casked in bourbon. But that bourbon twang is just awful to me.

padre31 and Bpk like this.
  25. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The worst part of being sick through the holidays has been missing out on all this prime drinking.

26. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not a fan of bourbon, perhaps b/c back in the day just the stomach rolling Jim Beam and Wild Turkey is all there really was to try, and those are terrible examples of booze.

Enjoyed Crown Royal, and usually I drink Glenfiddich or Glen Morange if I'm having a scotch.

Still a bit high powered and rarely drink the stuff.

Sunday by 5pm that may change as it is a known cure for "Dolphins Fan Syndrome"

Sethdaddy8 and bigbry like this.
  27. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Less of a bite actually. Some whiskeys taste very overpowering to a point you cant really taste the actual flavor, sort of like a numbing mouthwash. A smooth scotch doesn't have that overbearing effect its just less harsh and more flavorful.

Bpk likes this.
  28. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Always been a Dewars man myself.

RGF likes this.
  29. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I prefer either Jameson or Crown Royal if I'm not feelin' beer.

Someone told me that whiskey like Crown Royal isn't true whiskey and that it's blended with vodka, is that true at all?

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not sure if it is blended with Vodka, it is a mixed batch meaning it is not solely barrel aged as it sits

Now, tbh, do not mind Jack Daniels or Elijah Craig.

As for smooth, if you are "avg Joe" and can drink it, without thinking immediately "what no chaser" that is 'smooth".

What I have become a huge huge fan of is taking the cheap stuff and sort of adding flavors to it via letting it marinate over time w/spices added

Fun story, made some Apple Pie Brandy, w/ dirt cheap Paul Mason Brandy and fresh organic apples and other things, let it "rest' for a month..it literally got the company Christmas party uhm, a bit tipsy.

It's that smooth, they'd pour a drink of it into a plastic cup and grab a craft beer, drink the cup like it was nothing, comment how good it tasted, then drink the beer..a bit like taking a double shot w/a beer chaser w/o knowing that is what you had done.

Fun times...:lol:

ToddPhin likes this.
  31. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Double Black might just be the maximum expression of blended Scotch not aged more than 12 years. Amazing, wonderful stuff. Folks who only drink single malts would try this and be blown away at how good a blend can be. Ditto for JW Blue and Royal Salute, but those are way pricey.

BTW, Costco had Blue on sale for $169 a bottle; almost $100 less than advertised prices elsewhere.

RGF likes this.
  32. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Man, that's the 1st time I've heard that. Google here I come..

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, now here is a question to pose:

"we" are from this era, single malt scotches, whiskey, etc

20 yrs from now, will this discussion be about which Marijuana blends/hybrids are the best and where they come from become the same sort of discussion?

I do not generally touch the stuff, not a MJ fan, however methyl alcohol is what it is, ditto THC it is only potentcy and flavor that separate things, the rest is marketing

34. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Killer Bees likes this.
  35. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    It already is Padre if I'm understanding your question.

36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not quite like this, "Hindu Kush's propensity for producing lots of sticky resin used in hash meets the fruitiness of Thai Stick bud"

Is not exactly on people's minds or in large discussions, though suspect it will eventually be

37. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Now I understand.

I grew up with it literally in my backyard and have been around it all my life, so my thoughts are tilted. My opinion is yes there will be a much much broader base discussing the intricacies.
    I doubt it will take 20 years.

38. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I thought Crown Royal was a premium Canadian rye whiskey. Am I mistaken?

Bpk likes this.
  39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, know a fair amount about how the hydro MJ works, think it is mechanical though.

Same thing, powerful, however same thing time after time, like drinking Budweisers.

I do think it will take 20 yrs, not due to laws, due to tastes, people who imbibe are not just going to switch to it.

W/o shared experience things just become one sided discussions of experience v questions, though suspect such a situation would be flat out boring.

Now Scotch v Blended Scotch v Bourbon?

That discussion can happen