1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we please stop blaming Ireland now?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Dec 22, 2013.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    This was one of the worse coached and game planned games I have ever seen played by a Dolphins team and there were some doozies when Wanny was our coach.

This crap has got to stop with blaming Ireland for everything under the sun.

Please!! Maybe its time to look at the coaching. It starts with Joe Philbin and his coaching staff:

Head Coach: Joe Philbin, 15-16 lifetime NFL

Offensive Line : Jim Turner, 48 yrs old, 4 yrs college exp as a FULLBACK
    joined Dolphins in 2012 - No prior NFL experience

Assistant offensive line: Chris Mosley, 36 yrs old, 3 yrs college exp as a RUNNINGBACK
    joined Dolphins in 2012 - 1 yr NFL Experience
    ***Left team earlier in yr

Now lets look at who is schooling our prized QB

QB Coach: Zac Taylor, 30 yrs old, 1 yr college playing exp(back up)
    Joined Dolphins 2012, No prior NFL Experience

Assistant QB Coach: Ben Johnson, 27 yrs old, 2 yrs college playing exp(back up)
    joined Dolphins 2012, No prior NFL Experience

None of these coaches have personal NFL Playing experience or any NFL experience to speak of:

This is what Philbin has given us..........

Anyone like to guess why we are 15-16 since his arrival?

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  2. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    So... coaching staff being ****ty = Ireland blameless??????? K, Got it!

3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Chris Mosley left the team back in September. The asst OL coach now is essentially coaching intern Marco Rivera.
    Equating ability as an NFL coach with playing experience in the league though is just plain dumb.

NaboCane, derek and finfansince72 like this.
  4. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    next we will be calling for Ireland to suit up to

I heard he can hit 70+ yards in practice against the wind

5. MrClean

Saying it's either the coaches fault or Ireland's fault is a false dichotomy.

roy_miami and mlb1399 like this.
  6. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Who is directly responsible for hiring said head coach? You don't think Ireland asked who Philbin was going to fill out his staff with??

7. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Ireland is a mindless idiot. Why wouldn't we blame him?? Ireland and Phillip Wheeler belong together...somewhere else.

Aquafin likes this.
  8. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    There's plenty of blame to go around. I wouldn't want Ireland to feel left out.

9. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Seriously? You know Ireland put together that OL, right? Besides signing off on the Philbin hire too? With a loss next week, the best thing would be to clean house.

PhinsRock likes this.
  10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ireland deserves blame for the offensive line being not talented enough, but it couldn't be what it is without genuinely grotesque coaching.

11. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    would you hire a guy to build you a house that has never built one before?

would you buy a car that you never heard of before?

would you let someone fly you from New York to LA who has never flown a plane before?

would you let your 8 yr old drive your car 100+ miles an hour who has never driven before with you inn the front seat with out a seat belt?

Silly to think a coach who has never coached an NFL team before can surround himself with "coaches" who have no experience in the NFL and be a winner.

GEEZ, our prized QB is being schooled by 2 coaches who's experience is as a Back up QB. To boot they have a combined total of 4 yrs of college play

12. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Kiko Alonso >>>>> Dionne Jordan

13. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    You did say false dichotomy. I am not saying Ireland is not at fault for Hiring Philbin. I just don't get what you guys want other then Ireland Fired. Most of the opinions on this board are so one sided and twisted that there is no possibility of a rational discussion.

14. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    A good Assistant coach can take average talent and make them better then they are. A good assistant coach makes adjustments and knows the talent he has. A good assistant coach makes adjustments in scheme and personal to give the head coach maximum productivity. Seems like maybe based on the coaches we have that we have little to no experience in doing so. Or, we are just incapable of doing so. Either way it falls back on Philbin who answers to Ireland. Or does he?

15. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Ireland brought in these gutless, heartless players. Ireland brought in these brainless, clueless coaches. How is it not his fault?

PhinsRock and TooGoodForDez like this.
  16. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    under this thought process why don't we just stop passing the buck and blame Ross. **** it's his fault for hiring Ireland who hired Philbin who hired the coaching staff and scouts and heck even for allowing the water boy on the field.

What we really need is a new owner

derek likes this.
  17. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

That's somewhat true, but he's willing to spend money and he's not that intrusive. He just needs to bring in the right football guy to run the team.

18. MrClean

To whom are you referring?

19. MrClean

Since Ireland was hired as GM of the Miami Dolphins, the regular season record is 56-59. Are you happy with that?

PhinsRock, derek, PhinGeneral and 5 others like this.
  20. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I guess the fact the Dolphins have only had one winning season in the six years years Ireland has been this teams GM is also to be blamed entirely on the coaching staff.

I suppose you think that the players on this awful offensive line would be all pros if they had another OL coach.

I don't care if this entire coaching staff, including Philbin return next year or not. What I do care about is that it isn't Ireland who is responsible for drafting players for the Dolphins anymore or signing players in free agency. He had his chance to show what he could do as the GM of this team and he has failed, as far as I am concerned.

I watched a Buffalo team today that has superior talent to what the Dolphins have at this time. That is absolutely ridiculous when you consider the number of years Ireland has been given to rebuild this franchise. It is time for Ireland to go and a new GM hired to try and bring this organization back to respectability.

21. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    but but.... what about Parcells?

22. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    Ron Rivera never flew a plane b4 either but he's landed his team safely in the playoffs... Sooo ur point is meaningless.. Plenty of asst coaches do well in this league.. Competent players is the key.. Name me a coach with a terrible team that is a winner every year...

23. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    It is hard for me to place blame.

As a business owner I am unable to personally do everything myself so I hire people to help. I understand that ultimately, I am responsible, however a certain amount of authority has to be delegated and therefor just like you did with Ross, Ireland should get some slack. I was really surprised earlier when I started looking at the coaching staff assembled this year. On paper it is extremely weak. As a result I do not directly blame Ireland I blame Philbin. Are we to believe or expect Ireland to directly be in the know and to oversee every single decision and facet /move this franchise makes. It is unreasonable and unfair to do so because no one could do it I don't care if your Vince Lombardi. You delegate and hope the people you have are good enough. If they are not you make changes.

I hate loosing just like everyone else. I just feel stacking it all on Ireland is conveniently unnecessary. I guess if Ireland wants

24. MrClean

Some people would have us believe all Jeff did while Parcells was here would be fetch the coffee and donuts. I do not go along with that.

TooGoodForDez and Sumlit like this.
  25. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I see where you are going. My post should have read a coach who has never been the head coach of an NFL team before.....

The point I was making is our Prized "franchise" QB is being coached by two coaches that have a combined total of 4 college seasons as backup QB. I can't imagine where Tannehill would be if we had some coaches with experience.

On an even bigger picture almost our entire coaching roster has little to no experience. Just pointing out facts. Who made this decision Ireland or Philbin?

26. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    ....and Jeff Ireland has given Joe Philbin an offensive line that cannot block, running backs that can't pass block and struggle to gain yards after contact, receivers that cannot make a play on the ball down the field, no seam threat at tight end, a defensive line that cannot stop the run, and a set of linebackers that are equally bad vs the run and the pass.

Joe Philbin and his character are the reason the Dolphins have 8 wins right now instead of the amount of wins the talent of this team suggests it should have.

derek and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  27. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Totally agree. The Bills played a tremendous game, especially on defense. They're DL was dominant and when we focused on neutralizing them they had DBs coming off the edge to blow ish up. Credit them and their staff for a great game plan and execution.

All this his fire him and fire him talk is for sore losers, we're not the only team with NFL players and today was our day to wear a very humbling *** wooping. The Ravens are getting blown out as well so if we beat NY next week we are 9-7 with a wild card game, probably vs Indy.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  28. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Which is exactly what this coaching staff has done to this point. They have taken average to below average talent and will at least have a .500 record with that talent. A lesser staff would have won 5 games with the talent Jeff Ireland has put on this team.

The problem is very clearly not coaching. Coaching is simply the easiest thing for most of you to blame when the fact is, this team just is not that talented.

29. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Tannehill had a bad game, it happens. He never looked comfortable and his teammates let him down all day long. He will bounce back vs the Jets, you can write that ish down right now.

2socks likes this.
  30. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    I just think its comical that we can get to 8-6, sustaining win streaks against tough competion along the way..... But then play a terrible game..... And the GM is the reason we lost. Football fans are generally not the brightest bunch, that much we know. But damn some of the posters here are total morons !

31. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    absolutely not.

But I also think blaming one guy for everything is ridiculous. Is it Ireland's job in theory to hire Philbin - sure. But none of us for sure know if that is what occurred. Ross could have and most likely did tell Ireland here's your coach as a condition of staying aboard. The assistants hired were also most likely Philbin's call not Ireland's. What I question is the lack of experience that almost all these coaches have. What I question was what happened today. There were no adjustments, there were no roll outs, no scheme adjustments. Heck the coaches even put Tannehill back in a game that was un-winnable and risked injury. Today's loss was a result of being flat out out-coached. Blaming our probable lack of making the playoffs and the offensive line performance and loss on Ireland because he didn't rebuild the entire line in the last 3 games (we won), is silly. How was Ireland supposed to know that Incognito would Bully Martin half way thru the season. Beside's it can take years for a line to jell into something decent. Expecting that to happen in the span of 3 or 4 games is unreasonable.

32. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Can we pleats start holding Ireland accountable? One of the most embarrassing offensive lines in the history of the game assembled by this asshat.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  33. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Irelands record 22-25 speaks for itself. You can't win by ignoring the OL and brining in LBs that fail. Those two major misses will probably put the Dolphins at 8-8

34. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    That's certainly true. Not the ones you're thinking of, though.

35. MrClean

Ireland is most responsible for assembling the current roster. He is the one who gave us this great OL. He is the one who cut Burnett and Dansby and replaced them with Ellerbe and Wheeler. He is the one to let Bush walk away without so much as an offer of any kind. Etc etc.

derek, DOLPHAN1, dolfan22 and 2 others like this.
  36. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    lets get it done then. Because we been talking about it for 15 years and it's getting old......the revolving door.

37. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    yes and he completely ignored that crystal ball that told him at the beginning of the year that Incognito would Bully Martin and blow up the entire offensive line. Better yet he should have ignored the last 3 wins and rebuilt the entire line thru an invisible draft and pretend free agency.

38. MrClean

Philbin wanted Incognito gone after the golf course incident in 2012. He was overruled by Ireland.

KB21 and dolfan22 like this.
  39. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    No way.....
    See I thought Sparano was fired, and rightfully so.... I'm also skeptical about Philbin. So pinning this record to the Gm is silly. Right now I see a team that has weaknesses like every team, but has more than enough talent to win consistently, as evident by these streaks. The roller coaster of consistency is hardly the GMs fault.

40. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Huh? The line did not need to lose Incognito and Martin to start sucking. One could argue it was even worse with those 2 still in there.

There's no way to defend this. Ireland completely shat the bed with the offensive line this year.

derek and PhinGeneral like this.