1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Portland Timbers thread. (Make another one. What do I care?)

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Two Tacos, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I know of at least one other Timbers fan here, which is more than enough for a Timbers thread.

I'll start it with some of the good from 2013, here is all of the goals:

[video=youtube;heZjtsFuq7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heZjtsFuq7c[/video]

2. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I'm one! Fairly new to it all, been an International Soccer fan since 1999 women's world cup though. Figured I'd pick an MLS team, as well as the Thorns in NWSL since I don't really have a spring/summer sport

Two Tacos likes this.
  3. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Good choices on teams.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm a big fan. I've been going to games in the army since the last season of nsl. My buddy has season tickets and frequently has extras/first dibs for single game tickets so I've been to the MLS home opener, first home cascadia game, home opener of last year, and seattle. Only went to two this past year though :/ . I watched them beat boca juniors, and play man city at UP. this year was a thing of beauty, and ive been happy with the offseason so far. though i am a big fan of ajb, and think we will regret trading him in a few years. that goal against the galaxy this year was one of my fav moments of 2013

Two Tacos likes this.
  5. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    That was an amazing goal. Have you seen the GIF of Porter's and Arenas's respective reactions? If not:

[​IMG]

I could watch that all day...

I know what you're saying about AJB but a healthy Zak (fingers crossed) fits porters system better, and Zak, Darlington, and Porter have a championship history together. Portland was missing speed on the wings and with Wallace’s injury the trade was really needed. I'm waiting to see if the Forward/Back DP signing tweets from MP turns out to be anything. He hasn't disappointed as an owner yet. Great time to be a Timbers fan, 40+ goal differential turn around in Porters first year, amazing & attractive soccer being played, and beating the Sounders in the play offs. I cannot wait to see wait happens next.

My brother moved and I’m going to get his place on the season ticket wait list. I believe the list is now over 10k.

King Felix likes this.
  6. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    haha Porter is amazing. But yeah I agree about Zak fitting the sytem, and I also think Porter wasn't a huge fan of AJB. The injury to Wallace really cemented the need for another winger, and you could not really ask for a better one to fit the system. I love MP on twitter haha. He said earlier on there we have two more signings to announce, probably a striker and center back.

Have you been following the el trencito saga?

7. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Not closely, He wants to play elsewhere right?

8. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Got this from a poster on another site, but:

Merritt Tweets:
    And follows @Gastonfdz

Gaston Fernandez should be announced soon.

Fun off season.

9. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    basically his agent confirmed he was going on loan(with option to buy) to an argentine team, the club confirmed it, and there is a picture of him signing what looks like a contract. MP and the Timbers have yet to confirm it, which is weird because they always confirm the roster moves first on twitter.

I saw that too. A couple more signings and the off season will be complete. Solid veteran striker.

On another note, I just bought the third alternate kit from sports authority online today. Its being discontinued and sold out at their team store so this was one of the last times to get it (ive been wanting it for awhile). it was normally $85 plus shipping but they have a 25% off deal right now and free shipping so it was only $63.

10. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    Valencia officially loaned out. Piqquione officially resigned for another year. Good back up

Two Tacos likes this.
  11. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Porter on the superdraft:

[video=youtube;AwLNR0gV1JM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwLNR0gV1JM[/video]

and a good QA with La Gata
    http://www.timbers.com/news/2014/01...excited-bring-soccer-journey-portland-timbers

12. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
  13. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
  14. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    went to the last preseason game on saturday. got timbers army for only $7. I had to take advantage of that considering the starters played most of the game.

Excited for papparato who has looked good and fernandez.

can't wait for saturday! an escape from reality

Two Tacos likes this.
  15. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Tonight will be the perfect night for their first win following the Thorns opener.

Anyway, that black/red fade jersey is awesome. They should do the same thing for the Thorns next year when they can make custom jerseys. By the way, all the games will be in HD on YouTube, and all clubs will have at least 3 HD cameras now.

King Felix likes this.
  16. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    Haha so you follow the thorns too?

The return of AJB to portland, I kinda miss him tbh. But you're right we need 3 points here.

I won 2 tickets to the game last weekend against Seattle. I was sitting right in front of their traveling fans. It was fun flipping them off each goal we scored. I didn't plan on doing that but I turned around and looked at them one time and this dude kept flipping me off and telling me to come fight him even though there were tons of security between us. Lol their fans are lame as fvck

Two Tacos likes this.
  17. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Yeah, we don't really have anything in NY...(And i'm not supporting too corporate Red Bull) and Portland has the best fans so I picked them.

Russell Wilson & Robert Turbin were at the Thorns-Reign game today. The Riveters broke out into a "F--k Seattle" chant when they were shown. Or maybe it was because they lost, or both. Portland soccer fans really hate Seattle! Then Hope Solo waved them off...its nice to see a rivalry in the league.

Wilson/Turbin are probably going to the Trailblazers game too.

King Felix and Two Tacos like this.
  18. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Familiarity breeds contempt and all that. When it comes to soccer in America there is no rivalry that is close.

I wasn't even alive for one of my favorite moments, 40 years ago:

[video=youtube;Kr7Ade8k5Jw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr7Ade8k5Jw[/video]

King Felix likes this.
  19. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    Some big signings might be in the works tomorrow.

20. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    That video is awesome. But does it beat the smacking we gave them in the playoffs last year?

21. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    That's too fresh to be a fair comparison. Both are up there for me, but man that was fun.

22. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
  23. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Well that's that for 2014 then. Disappointing. Oh well, on to next year!

24. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah disappointing year. And zakuani retired. That's sad, but, ajb playing would have been nice this year.

25. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Well, this feels nice.

26. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    It feels really good. I just got back from the parade. What a season! That game against sporting kc was like destiny. This city needed something like this. Hats off to Caleb and the management the starting 11 was damn near flawless. Unfortunately villafana is off the santos in mexico :( we do need more depth in the midfield

Two Tacos likes this.
  27. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    I expect to see him on the MNT, he is way better than he got credit for. MVP of the last three matches for me. Hopefully his xfer fee means decent allocation dollars. Not sure how that works.

Too much work for me to make the parade. Bummed, but the pictures looked fun.

28. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    [video=youtube_share;nqjZhQGL1Bc]https://youtu.be/nqjZhQGL1Bc[/video]