1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The officiating crew for the Pats game this week

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrClean, Dec 13, 2013.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

#99 Referee, Tony Corrente, La Mirada, Calif., 19 yrs in the NFL
    #11 Umpire, Fred Bryan, South Minneapolis, Minn., 5 yrs
    #54 Head Linesman, George Hayward, St. Joseph, Mo., 23 yrs
    #130 Line Judge, Darryll Lewis, Omaha, Neb., 15 yrs
    #60 Field Judge, Gary Cavaletto, Santa Barbara, Calif., 12 yrs
    #62 Side Judge, Ronald Torbert, West Bloomfield, Mich., 4 yrs
    #119 Back Judge, Greg Wilson, Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., 6 yrs

This crew calls the 5th fewest average number of penalties per game. They have called the 3rd most holding calls so far this season. Well through the first ten games anyway. The way the Pats like to hold Wake, I'm glad to see we're getting a ref not shy about calling holding. This crew is also one that likes to call DPI a lot. Don't know how they have the 5th lowest avg considering they are near the top in calling holding and DPI.

2. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

call penalties, don't call penalties...I really don't care as long as they are consistent and not one sided.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Hopefully, we've been running our 11 on 18 drills in practice this week..........:shifty:

4. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    This is Corrente's 2nd Pats game this year. His crew called 4 penalties for 33 yards on NE and 7 for 56 on the Saints.

We haven't won a game with Corrente's crew since 2009. The Pats haven't lost a game with his crew since 2002.

Our first game against NE had us with 7 penalties for 61 yards and the Pats with 5 for 35.

Phins_Fan_87, Fin D, 54Fins and 14 others like this.
  5. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Ugh!
    [​IMG]

MrClean, siciliansith and djphinfan like this.
  6. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    We are playing the Pats, expect it to be one sided.

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That would be worse if it reflected the location of the fumble recovery to where the penalty brought it back to, as opposed to the original LOS.

8. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Where can I find pricing?

9. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    we also have these 2 guys doing the game in the booth

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"][TABLE="width: 320"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65, width: 80"]New England at Miami[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66, width: 80"] 1:00 PM
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65, width: 80"] CBS
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65, width: 80"]Jim Nantz, Phil Simms[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: left"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    i could be mistaken, but didn't they do the first fins-pats game this year?

11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i can´t remember and this game still makes me sick to my stomach, so i can´t even look it up

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Pats are getting the calls regardless. We have to make sure not to beat ourselves this week.

Da 'Fins, gafinfan and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  13. PapaC

PapaC New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    mooresville, NC
    I couldn't agree more, as long as it is even I'm happy! If not I pitty my family or whoever is watching it with me. Lol!

DOLPHAN1 and Paul 13 like this.
  14. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    thanks for that... was going to be my next question. Better than Dierdorf or Fouts and their agenda.

slickj101 and Alex13 like this.
  15. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    'Illegal batting of the ball. That's an 80-yard penalty and an automatic first down!'

That is a surreal statistic. David Stern-esque.

16. Neuron

Neuron New Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Patriots do not need referees to beat a football team. They have PLENTY of talent on both sides to win without penalties. Like Stephen A. Smith said, the best quarterback and coach in the game would help also I would imagine.

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think every coach literally has to tell their teams were playing the pats this game so lets make sure we stay disciplined with the penalties..and that because how Tom Brady works the refs..

18. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The patriots don't need trolls either. We can't wait for you to disappear after the Dolphins beat the cheatriots.

first&goal likes this.
  19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Its too bad Brady isn't even nearly the best QB in the league anymore.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    One of our players, knocked the ball out behind the Los with a GREAT play, in a very big situation, the ball was flopping around,and another one of players made a great effort to recover the ball accidentally knocking it out of field position for the pats, it was two great plays on third down, we got credit for nothing..instead penalized where the ball was moved 15 yards ahead from the original Los...biggest piece of horse sh&$ home ref BS I've ever seen, yeah penalize the guys who make two great plays and reward you..

The swipe play was BS that changed the game.

Y'all have taken whining to the refs to an elite level..

21. Disciple

Disciple Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Do you have the # of times this crew has officiated their games?

22. MrClean

Stephen A Smith is an idiot, and so is anyone who pays attention to a word he has to say.

23. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    It's usually once a season. I think maybe twice they had two games.

Disciple likes this.
  24. MrClean

Great info though a little worrisome. May I ask what web site I can find such information for future reference?

25. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    To me, that was the least egregious of the "controversial" penalties that day. The pass interference penalty on Jimmy Wilson in the first quarter spotted New England 3 points whereas they would have had to punt. On another third down play in the second half, the mysterious defensive holding call where their WR away from the play slipped, our DB wasn't even close to him, and yet a flag for defensive holding was called. Patriots score a touchdown on that drive where they would have had to punt. Two other pass interference penalties were called on the Dolphins that usually aren't called... well, they didn't go our way - they went New England's and led to points. The batting call hurt because, I believe, it led to a total change in field position, a first down for New England, wasting a lot of time on the clock, and the FG that put them up two scores and clinched the game. However, at least that play was controversial. We had people on both sides of the argument on this forum as to what they actually saw Vernon do. Those first two penalties that led to 10 points, who knows where those calls came from. At the end of the game Nantz and Simms, especially Simms, was talking about how, "Yes, the Dolphins didn't get the breaks this game and had questionable calls go against them."

[Why do I seldom hear that when we play a team? When was the last time you heard an announcer or analyst say, "The Dolphins really got the breaks today (or benefitted from several questionable calls)"? I can't remember. Before Jimmy Johnson coached maybe?]

And to be fair and balanced, I won't forget the holding penalty called on the Patriots that negated their touchdown. That was a nice break. But the difference is, that was a holding penalty. Obviously, like DPI, they're judgment calls, but there are easier cues for the referees to look for with holding.

Anyway, it's frustrating that I'm still remembering these crappy details, and I'm all for the Dolphins being strong in will and overcoming adversity and referees calls. But these calls ABSOLUTELY affected the game, the scoring, and the final score. And it wasn't just one batting play. It just wasn't.

_____

I'm gonna stop whining now. I hate it, and, in general, I try not to do it and don't like to read it. I just remember being more frustrated watching that game (and not just the penalties but also Sherman going away from what worked in the first half) than any other game I can remember in the last few years.

Paul 13, Mcduffie81, gafinfan and 3 others like this.
  26. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I get most of my stats from http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

27. MrClean

I cannot see how one could find that info there, unless they one by one checked every box score of both teams for the entire span of games you referenced. If you did that, kudos to you for the effort it would have taken.

28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/officials/

You can click on an official and see the games they've called.

29. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
  30. MrClean

There are 7 officials and the crews get shuffled each season. So some of the other members of this crew may have different streaks of officiating wins and losses. The umpire Fred Bryan officiated in a Miami win last year as part of Mike Carey's crew. I'm too lazy to calculate the streaks for the rest of the crew. IMO, the side, field and back judges have the potential to most effect the game because those 3 will call most of the pass interference penalties.

31. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    .rofl. okay. You can quote Stephen and we can quote other anchors/coaches that say you won with bs penalties

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It would feel pretty good to win on a blown call in out favor. I mean it sounds lame but has that EVER. Happened to us?

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That is a scary stat sir..the NFL should absolutely look into why the pats haven't lost a game since 2002 with that officiating crew..

That does not bode well for us..

34. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Im sure, although I cant recall. Im only 24.

35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    And I'm 23, so if it has it wasn't recent enough for our young minds to remember.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Jesus, that's right..that Wilson play was pure garbage, and the other one...3 huge bogus calls in one game is not the norm..

Calls are part of the game that changes the scope of franchises all the time.refs are officials, just like nba officials, they can be influenced...Ryan is going to have to learn this eventually..our coach is going to have to learn to not yell at them in a disrespectful manner..

Finrunner likes this.
  37. MrClean

Considering the Pats W-L record, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other referees who have not officiated a Pats loss for that length of time or close to it.

38. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Based on the views on this thread, it appears many people are already looking to blame the refs if the Dolphins lose this game.

The fact is the the Patriots have been the superior team in the AFC East for the past decade. They have won games because they have had the best head coach and the best QB in the division. Over this time they have gotten some calls which seem to favor them, but they have also had calls go against them.

The Dolphins just need to go out and put together an entire game against the Patriots and not just one great half. This is going to be a game in which the Dolphins are going to have to win the game by outplaying the Patriots in the third and fourth quarters. If they can do this, they will win the game. If the Patriots and Brady control the game in the second half as effectively as they did in New England, the Dolphins will lose again and fans will once again be blaming the refs instead of the play of the Dolphins in the second half.

I never blame refs for losses. The players have 60 minutes to make the plays to win the game. If they play their best and show up for all four quarters, the refs shouldn't even be a factor in the game. My view is that losers always look for someone else to blame. Winners find a way to overcome and become victorious. So it is time for the Dolphins to show they are winners and there are absolutely no excuses for them to lose to the Patriots this coming Sunday.

39. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I honestly couldn't disagree more. That is a great view on life or business, but not football. The refs are a third party with complete control to tilt the game either direction.

They already screwed us against thid same team once

first&goal and dont fumble like this.
  40. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    You don't ever blame refs for losses. Thats fine. I'll continue to live in the real world.