1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL says Big Ben's lateral was legal.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finfangirl, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/nfl-says-roethlisberger-lateral-was-legal/

I call B.S. that certainly looked like an illegal forward pass to me.

jim1, DOLPHAN1, Fin D and 2 others like this.
  2. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I can certainly see Blandino's stance.

3. Dolfan330

Dolfan330 My wein is so chaffed...

Jan 25, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Let's just be glad it didn't come to a review then. Play really should have never happened in the first place though.

MikeHoncho, ElNino and Colmax like this.
  4. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I am sickened how close we came to one of the worst losses I have ever seen. To have endured that ending if Brown had not stepped out....We played so well and came back to take the lead....Would have killed me

jim1, Aquafin, ElNino and 1 other person like this.
  5. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    anyone have a gif, screenshots?

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

7. given to fly

given to fly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    México
    I think is legal, if you pause the video aviable on nfl.com when the ball lefts Big Ben hand and then when Brown catch it, it looks like is the same yard. What happened is that the ball starts going forward and the comes back.

8. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Ask SI to put a huge photo in the next issue ala NO ;)

Finfangirl, Marco and Tone_E like this.
  9. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Play should have never even happened. Steelers weren't set at the snap. Game should have ended right there.

Ozzy, MikeHoncho, Marco and 8 others like this.
  10. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I agree but...no flag. We would be here talking about how we got robbed and knocked out of the playoffs! Wow, don't even want to think about it.

11. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the only pic i could find
    [​IMG]

still watching the video in slow motion it looks like a definite forward pass to me.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I like to think of Brown stepping out as justice being served. Like the football gods saying "this play should have been blown dead for illegal motion, so let's make sure he steps out" kind of thing.

Were we lucky? Maybe. But since the play should have never been allowed to carry on in the first place, it all evens out as it should.

Boik14 likes this.
  13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yeah, it looks like Ben threw a little curveball somehow. Yet I still maintain it went slightly forward. At game speed it obviously appeared forward to me.

14. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    http://youtu.be/az855UscR3g

I'm on my phone so I can't embed, but that's the entire final play.

Look at the receiver at the top and the one on the near side closest to the the ball. Both of them are still moving their feet when the ball is snapped. Play should have never been allowed to continue.

15. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    But it did. And we were inches from being the laughing stock of the NFL again.

16. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    [​IMG]

17. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    But guess what? We won and are still alive for the playoffs.

Bottom line is we were lucky he stepped out, and they were lucky that play was even allowed to continue.

It balances out in the end. We deserved to win that game and we did. That's all that matters.

18. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I know. But we can't ignore the fact we let this happen. Even if we got lucky it was still an embarrassment. And I bet a lot of us were like, "there goes the Dolphins again." I almost ripped my hair out. It was sloppy crap at the end of this game. If I'm Joe Philbin I'm going into the locker room furious.

Guys were standing around as if they didn't know what to do. Shows we were unprepared for something like this. Reflects on the coaching. One thing everyone can learn from Belichick is situational football. He prepares his team for any situation that might pop up. It's his mantra. Games are won and lost with just one or two clutch situations by those most or least prepared for it. We've seen it, play well for 55 minutes, then lose at the end.

We were not prepared. Pitt was. And they came within inches, done in by a mostly unforced error.

Aquafin, dirtywhiteboy and Colmax like this.
  19. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hmmm, a lot of people's tunes have changed since Sunday afternoon. Better lucky than good I guess. :shifty:

20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Actually what he said was that it would have been too close to overrule the non-call on the field. It was, however, about a foot/2 feet forward, that much was pretty obvious...

Oh and they didn't even comment on the fact taht several stillers were moving around at the snap...

MrClean and Oghma like this.
  21. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Not sure I like this new approach to reporting, that the Media is engaging in at our expense, but it seems we're exceedingly having to defend, or endure cynical discourse lodged against the team for various conduct or gameplay, based purely on proposed speculation, and/or what "could have happened", but didn't.
    This was a desperation time play, of a sort that rarely succeeds, and ultimately failed here, yet as a result of hypothetical regurgitation and rehashing, theres an implied sense created, that the game was closer that it was.
    In truth, the Steelers were extremely lucky to have even gotten as far as they did with that play, which was called because they were actually beyond the arms reach of a hail mary.

22. Zounds

Zounds New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    From the NFL rule book:

"When a player is in control of the ball and attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass"

http://static.nfl.com/static/conten...pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

My interpretation of that rule is that the pass began when the QB started his motion of the ball, not when the ball came out of his hand. If that interpretation of the rule is correct, then it is absolutely a forward pass and it would have been obvious should the play have been reviewed.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  23. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sweet Christmas, really? Officiating this year is worse than it was with the replacements. It's scary bad.

DOLPHAN1 and Boik14 like this.
  24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I can't believe officials would be that inept. Why not just own up to a terrible call

25. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    If they did that as often as is warranted, more people would realize just how inept they are.

26. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Right. The argument would be that he was not attempting to pass it forward, but lateral it. My argument for this play is that the concept of a pass that travels exactly sideways is not really possible in the real world, meaning that passes are either traveling forwards or backwards. You can evaluate the pass based on that. It can be ruled that the pass is clearly not traveling backward and is illegal

Fin D likes this.
  27. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    The NFL is probably counting their lucky stars that Brown stepped out of bounds. With the brutal no call on the illegal motion to start the play and the questionable Big Ben lateral it would have been a controversial disaster. Especially with both teams fighting for the playoffs.

28. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    In the end justice was served because he did step out. Illegal motion and the forward lateral did occur on the play and we tackled horribly but the play never should have taken place because of the illegal motion. Not an ideal way to end the game but I'll take it.

MrClean likes this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I swear some fans here still seem upset that we won.

The play caught everyone off guard because they weren't set, it was ankle breaker conditions, we actually stopped the play when we tackled Big Rape forcing him to throw an illegal forward pass, then we caused the runner to put himself out of bounds. All in all, we stopped an illegal play twice in horrible conditions and people are still acting like we ****ed up.

Someone, please, tell me how in the hell that's not hater agenda rhetoric.

For crying out loud most of the people *****ing now would be the first ones to say "we need to find a way to win those games" if we had lost. We did find a way to win and they are still steady *****ing.

Marco, maynard, Rocky Raccoon and 3 others like this.
  30. Zounds

Zounds New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    But the rule says "any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass", and the QB's initial movement to get rid of the ball was intentional forward movement of his hand with the ball. He kind of hooks the ball around but his first movement with the ball was forward, which according to the rule, would constitute a forward pass. We may be splitting hairs here, but I am assuming that the rule is literal and not implied.

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Thank God he stepped out of bounds they would have boned Miami.....

even though it was a forward pass...

32. Zounds

Zounds New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I think originally it was about winning/losing, but with the NFL revealing their interpretation of the play, the focus is now on the sloppy officiating (and some may digress it is intentional) we have seen across the NFL this season.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm talking about the people that act like we were lucky and who are acting like we are sloppy and deserved a loss.

Of course the refs want to **** us. They've been doing it all season and even did it last time we played the Steelers. There are two games this year, off the top of my head, the refs cost us (Balt & NE).

34. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    The NFL just proves over and over again that they're much more concerned with protecting their brand rather than being fair. It was obviously a forward lateral, however, they decided to make a marketing decision and support their perennial playoff team.

Whatever. We won. Suck it, Steelers.

35. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Guys, we have to move on from this, and stop feeling guilty for winning the game. We won, Steelers lost, end of story.

Like many of you, I've been obsessing over this play since Sunday evening, but no more - I'm moving on, it's time for the Patriots.

Did we get lucky? Sure, but - darn it - we were more than due for some!

And, besides, like many have mentioned, it really shouldn't have gone off to begin w/ due to the motion. Thank God, it all worked out, we're 7-6, not 6-7, and we have some momentum going into a huge game Sunday. We aren't the laughing stock of the NFL, and we don't have to see this play replayed till we're 106. In a few weeks, we'll laugh about it, hopefully while watching the Phins in the playoffs.

So let's move on guys - enough of the obsession over the play. We won!!! That's right - we won!!!

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  36. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Not trying to be nitpicky here, BUT.................BillaCHEAT didn't have his team prepared for the wildcat. They were totally embarrassed. It's not like he is perfect. Neither is Philbin.

The pass/ lateral can be debated till the end of time but the pre-snap movement by the steelers is NOT debatable.

Fin-D, I actually see something different with this game. I kinda felt like we got some call on the field that we normally would not get. The refs were actually leaning more to our side, for once. If I was a conspiracy nut, I would wonder if the league told the refs to help us out as a further punishment for Tomlin's sideline stunt from last week.....i.e. penalty is a big fine, a low draft pic and a loss while fighting for the playoffs.
    I don't believe that, but............

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  37. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I think the field conditions had a lot to do w/ the play extending as far as it did. Guys can't adjust as fast, nor make a play as quickly. The Steelers could lateral the ball backwards easier than the Dolphins could move w/ their legs at that point. For one, I think Jimmy Wilson makes the initial tackle on Sanders if there's no snow, and it never even gets that far. At the end of the play, both Jones and Clemons were stuck in the snow, trying to play low and see which way Brown was going to go. Just like in the passing game when there's snow on the field, it's easier for the receiver to run and cut than it is for the DB to adjust.

Frankly, on a clean field, it never gets to the point of heart-stoppage.

38. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    Not one person said that they were upset that we won or that we deserved to lose. People are saying that we came very close to losing a game we outplayed the Steelers...in their house..with the playoffs on the line. After the league agreed that it probably would not be overturned, those feelings are legit..legal or not. To pretend that play almost did not happen is weak, it did. So thankful we won and soon we can laugh about it.

jdang307 likes this.
  39. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Bladino is wrong.

40. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I still think Roethlisberger fumbled the ball on the sack during the same drive. I don't understand why it wasn't even challenged from upstairs?