1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins@Steelers game thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm glad that the final play of the game hasn't become a big story, given that just as key as the receiver stepping out of bounds was at least one of the passes was forward past the line of scrimmage. I'd tend to have hoped it would have been reviewed if the receiver scored, but still, there should have been flags on the play.

Tannehill played well, besides the pick six, and I think was a pretty solid effort as a whole. Not too many inaccurate passes, pretty good under pressure, and the like. Most of all, he played pretty well when the game was on the line.

The read option was nice, it's something I think definitely needs to have its place in the playbook. They seemed to get more in depth with it too, at very least getting some work out of the pistol.

Can anyone explain why the Dolphins so often line up in the Pistol only for the back to motion next to Tannehill? I don't know what defensive adjustment or tell you're forcing there, it doesn't seem like any, and it seems useless because you're taking away some of the Pistol advantages by doing it.

Daniel Thomas shouldn't be written off. He's got a better sense of timing to his cuts and a lower pad level than he did earlier in his career, and he's definitely benefiting from it.

Speaking of written off, it's not at all surprising to see Mike Wallace fold like a house of cards when pressure to perform was put on him. I'm sure there will be people vociferously defending Wallace with the idea that the pass didnt hit him over the shoulders in dead stride, but the guy needs to make the ****ing effort.

Today was a pretty clear example of why the people whom said Brian Hartline wasn't useful in the red zone had a pretty flawed opinion. He's got incredible body control and ability to work the sidelines. It's not the same as being 6'4" 230 pounds, but it's got its place and could be quite useful.

Charles Clay is better than Dustin Keller has been in his career, and I think should be looked at as a starter going forward. Pretty much every time he's touched the ball recently he's been making an exemplary play. Even the first touchdown he sold the hell out of his release to get so wide open.

The offensive line had a pretty solid game. Decent run blocking and pass protection both, probably one of the better all-around efforts of this year.

Sam Brenner I think needs to be looked at as a starter going forward, and I'm not sure why he's rotating with Nate Garner. The guy has really nice mobility and isn't getting pushed around in-line. He's the kind of Guard we should have had last season. His block in the Daniel Thomas pin & pull was pretty damned good.

The defensive line had a pretty solid game all around, but no one really dominated. At least, not in the context of the upside of some of our guys on the line.

God damn, Dannell Ellerbe sucks. I think the Dolphins really need to think about getting Jelani Jenkins more playing time, and consider taking the hit on at least him or Wheeler. Ellerbe just had a pathetic game today, his efforts on the Antonion Brown touchdown were just sad.

I'm noticing Dion Jordan on the field a lot more often as a pass defender as of late. At one point he lined up as a defensive tackle and dropped into coverage on Heath Miller and did a good job. I'd love to see the coaching staff pull their heads out of their *** with him.

Brent Grimes didn't have a great game, but that was a hell of a hit for a guy his size.

Chris Clemons seemed to have a decidedly uncharacteristic amount of catches against him in coverage this week.

I don't know why they attempted that field goal with Caleb Sturgis this year, given the statistics on that stadium.

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Even if he didn't step OB, I'm SURE the officials would've got the Big Ben forward pass right...:shifty:

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRInQyUV16k[/video]

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    OV silent today, but that's alright, it happens.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    He ran down Big Ben on the 3rd down, he was bound to cool off anyways.

Mainge likes this.
  5. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Yeah. He might have been more affected by the footing today than your agile rushers, typically he digs in when he bull rushes, gotta wonder if that crippled his repertoire.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Pate can you talk about why you think this team should not move forward with this coach?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Seriously. Why do you have against Philbin?

8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Nice write-up.

Reshad Jones on the blitz = no bueno. No idea why Coyle keeps going to it.

9. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    OV had a sack as well if i remember right.

10. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I totaly agree with pretty much everything.

Ellerbe is bad and sometimes, he is TERRIBLE. His reads suck, he is always late, he can't cover and his tackling and effort are suspect. We should eat the bullet and cut him in the offseason. Wheeler has a use and a place, in my opinion.

Wallace is made of teflon. Twitter was crazed with "Tannehill under threw him again", meanwhile Wallace made NO EFFORT to attack the ball in the air.

Am I the only one amazed by how the offensive line has played the last few weeks? It does make me question the coaching staff though. It also reinforces the opinion that Jon Martin is simply a brutal NFL player.

Everytime Dion Jordan is on the field for a defensive snap he makes his presence known. I'm starting to think that if anyone on the3 staff needs to be fired first, it's Kevin Coyle.

Nice win.

MAFishFan likes this.
  11. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I personally feel this team is playing well DESPITE the coaching, not because of it.

Improve this offensive line, get a good middle linebacker, fire the entire staff and we may have something.

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    This coach was caught in the middle of a shnit storm, and his players have risen to the occasion.

He's a coach of the year candidate IMO.

13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  14. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I watched it earlier and one thing stuck out to me beyond the speech.The **** is wrong with Garfinkel's eyebrows? He's the man standing in the background with the blue jacket and the glasses.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
  16. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    He also had a sack as well as chasing down Big Ben to stop a first down conversion. He made plays, he didn't dominate the game, but he did make some nice plays for us today.

17. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    He had a sack? I had no idea, that's my bad. A lot of the actual game went out of my memory banks after the Antonio Brown play. I had sea legs after that one and apparently slight amnesia.

18. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I've said this a couple of times, but literally every component of coaching at one time or another has been done really poorly to the point of causing major issues and contributing strongly to losses, and I'm really concerned this offensive coaching staff damages Tannehill long term.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  19. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    People want to keep trying to drag Philbin down, but this team continues to rise to the challenge despite all the distractions and drama surrounding the team. He deserves a ton of credit for that. This team could have easily folded under the weight of all the distractions and they didn't. They have rallied together.

UT, I don't know why you dislike Coyle so much. Our defense is top 10 in a lot of important categories, including points. Yet, every week you're on here saying he needs to be fired and that he's in over his head.

cuchulainn likes this.
  20. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Yawn.

You really cannot envision a way this team loses to the Bills in late December at the Ralph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Yes, definite coach of the year candidate if we make the playoffs. He might lead us to the playoffs without actually playing the offense the way its intended.

22. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    OV only had two tackles but one of them was a huge hustle play that prevented the Steelers from getting a first on the Steeler second to last possession. He also recorded his 11th sack of the season.

IMO, OV is just a football player that once or twice a game is going to make a game changing play out of pure hustle and being in the right place at the right time... that is what he does...

23. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah, Vernon did what Vernon does. He made two plays when they needed them the most. Huge sack at the end and the tackle of Roethlisberger short of the first down on 4th and 10.

The dude just makes big plays. Love me some OV.

24. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sneaking into the playoffs as the 6th seed with a 10-6 or 9-7 record. Is the bar really that low? Either way, I think Andy Reid probably has this locked up. But still.

25. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I stand corrected gents, you can call off the dogs now.

26. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure how they've rallied, this is still the same team with the same kind of dumb bull**** as earlier in the year. They're talented enough to compete with good teams, but not smart enough to avoid ****ing it up and at that point it's pure luck if they pull it out in the last minutes of the game or not.

Springveldt and RoninFin4 like this.
  27. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    His entire career had been an example that suggests otherwise so stop acting all high and mighty about it as if he hadn't botched similar opportunities in the past. Let fans enjoy Hartline's great touchdown for the rarity that it is and pray it becomes a mainstay rather than a flash in the pan.

MrClean likes this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree that some coaching mistakes have cost us so momentums shifts in games, but you don't think these are growing pains of a long season.?... You think we should hold it against them long term because of how they coached against the bills and bucs?..

Can you be more specific about Ryan's development and your concerns..he seems to be improving?

29. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Stop dude. You said the same things before the last Bills game. It didn't end well.

30. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Right, they still compete every single game. They could have easily collapsed from the drama, but they still play hard. That was my point.

31. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm just saying dude, you know as we all do that these divisional road games are no picnic. You don't think Buffalo will come out fired up knowing they have a chance to knock their rival out of the playoff chase?

We are a better team for sure, but I'm still weary of those games. You just never know.

Besides, we have the Pats this week. We haven't beaten them in 4 years. This would be a statement win and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Mainge likes this.
  32. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I'm neither for or against Philbin at this point, but if you're a detractor, look at the 50+ yard FG attempt. Sturgis can't hit that when it's 80 and sunny, nevermind today. And "settling for 3" at the end when that game was begging the Dolphins to lose by 1. Honestly. If Pittsburgh doesn't step out of bounds at the 13 and they score the TD, that's the game and it's on Philbin for settling for 3 when a TD would have ended the game. Stupid, stupid, stupid. He got lucky this week.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

Man..the offense improved today from last..the defense was up against an elite Qb in tough footing conditions..

Your making me think my excitement is clouding my judgement, of course I would like to dominate, but I felt we did defensively against the panthers, chargers and jets..did you have real high expectations this year?

34. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    This whole Wallace thing is just getting stupid. I mean first of all... he is what he is... he isnt going to change now. The guy was open deep again and RT under threw him again. On top of that the guy is running full speed on a snowy field and he is suppose to some how stop and make a play on the ball. BTW, if you are going to be critical of Wallace on that play you have to give him credit for helping clear the right side of the field on the Clay TD. He took two defenders with him to the endzone. Look, I am not saying the guy doesnt have warts or is worth a 60M contract but geez Louise dont try to tell me he isnt having a positive impact on this team... because I am not buying it.

All I have to say about Clay is that guy is slowly but surely turning into one of the best players on our offense.

Love me some Sam Brenner and I am not even going to pretend I knew who he was 4 weeks ago. Would love to see him starting ahead of Garner... Funny thing is the Fins have won 4 of their last 6 games. Their OL started playing better the second J Martin and Richie were taken out of the mix. They gave up three sacks today but I think two of those where on Tannehill for holding on to the ball too long... and not moving from the spot he finished his drop at.

I thought Grimes played a hell of a game in those conditions... I thought the entire secondary played well for the most part and have to give much props to Carroll and Wilson.

djphinfan and slickj101 like this.
  35. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    It's so NFL that we havent scored 30 points in a game all year and then we do it in the snow in one of the toughest places to play.

I agree about Tannehill. Today was the day where he became "THE GUY" instead of just a "possibly" and I'm damn excited about it.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Hmmm, well that's real tough for me to decipher..So what your saying is, it doesn't matter who's coaching this team right now, they would of come together regardless, and eventually they will lose their interest in Philbin because he doesn't have the leadership qualities to inspire?

37. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    only picnic we have had this year was a divisional road game... :)

DPlus47 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  38. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I 99.99999999999999% agree with you... I would have liked to see them roll out on 2nd down... if the guy is covered Tannehill could have just gone down... kept the clock running... otherwise no heart burn with running the ball three times there...

DPlus47 likes this.
  39. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    lol. Good point. Just proves my point though that you never know what can happen.

Don't get me wrong. I would expect to beat the Bills. We're better, but you still never know.

Forget Buffalo for now though. It's Pats week!

40. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    only reason I would have dont it 2nd down is because they would not have expected that on 2nd down...

but ether down would have been fine by me