1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barry Jackson sports buzz 12/7 - Philbin expected back in 2014, Ireland's status TBD

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Dec 8, 2013.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...s-fins-heat-um-chatter-marlins-hot-stove.html

I definitely don't think Philbin should be a lock to return next year, if that's what Barry's reporting....looks like we could be in for another half-reset, don't think that's the way to go, but if Ross is only willing to fire one of them, well then that's an easy decision.

Lol

2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i wonder why you posted this this is not the best report to bash jeff ireland...

3. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    didn't post it to bash him, i just figured you guys would appreciate an update on our coach and GM's job security from a highly respected and credible team insider.

ElNino and Bpk like this.
  4. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    lol, no you didn't

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

What does the LB stand for in your user name of LBsFinest?

Bpk likes this.
  6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Also Clay has a bunch of TDs. And I have always said that Ireland does well with high first round picks and fifth to seventh rounders and UDfAs/CFL dudes.

Thing is, today's NFL requires a GM to deliver at a high rate on second and third rounders to truly maximize talent versus salary cap spending. That's been a weaker area for Jeff thus far. It's hard to separate some of those results from Sparano's staff not developing talent properly though.

Also, Vontae and Sean Smith seem to be decent players. They simply aren't here because this particular staff didn't think they were their type of players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I always assume linebackers. Maybe Long Beach's finest? But that's my L.A. Perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Barry Jackson sports buzz 12/7 - Philbin expected back in 2014, Ireland's sta...

The article shows that Ireland's work in the lower rounds of the draft is good; definitely good enough to take him out of the blind squirrel category. What makes him a candidate for replacement is his inability to work the upper rounds effectively, including his inability to address the offensive line. Maybe he should be someone's assistant and specialize in the lower rounds and UFA's.

9. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Yea LB is Long Beach

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    even worse than what I said.

hey have you met my friend Matt Boik? You two have a lot in common. Should probably go out for a beer. :shifty:

11. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I don't know that the problem with Ireland has really been talent evaluation. He's likely better than most when it comes to that.

His problem has been mostly a lack of vision in roster management. He, as a chess player, looks at the board only after you make your move. He has little anticipation and foresight.

KB21 and toto like this.
  12. toto

toto Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Vellmar, Germany
    We'll never know how good or bad Ireland is/was as long as we don't have a coaching staff (neither Sparano was nor Philbin is, imo) who's not capable of getting the best out of the players...

13. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    you see the development of wilson, carroll and clay ? no ?

14. toto

Dec 6, 2007
    Vellmar, Germany
    Yep. And the development of a Donald Thomas, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush, Mike Wallace and many others.

For my liking there are too many players that were brought in at their primes just to see their performance go downward in Miami and going up after they left. Coaches were not able to bring the best out of those players. Put them into situations where they can make the best out of their talent.
    Not to mention a couple of young players we called busts here and watch them develop into decent starters elsewhere...

Colmax likes this.
  15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't really have much problem with Ireland's drafting. I've generally liked the drafts since Parcells left. IMO the turnover in system and coaches has made those picks appear worse. Fans don't understand how much system fit matters. My issue with Ireland has always been how he interacts with players.

GMJohnson and Stitches like this.
  16. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Mt problem with Ireland is that he seems to think that he is the smartest guy in the room. Trouble is that when you're dealing with NFL GMs, agents and HCs everyone is the smartest guy in the room because you are at the very pointy end of a very big pyramid.

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Mike Wallace is already developed in NFL terms and Bush had a nice season under Philbin. Its only been one season, I couldn't tell you if Philbin can or can't develop talent yet.

18. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that's not development when they are vets, it's utilization.

mi2cents likes this.
  19. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    While I believe Ireland has had an impact on all player decisions since he became the teams GM six years ago, if you just judge him on his performance since Parcells departed, the team has been mediocre at best. They were 6-10 in 2011 and 7-9 last year.

I have felt all along that the Dolphins need to make the playoffs this year for Ireland to keep his job. The team is in a position to control their destiny, if the Ravens lose one more game this season. So all the Dolphins have to do is win their next four games and Ireland should keep his job. Anything less than a playoff berth this season and Ireland should be replaced.

I'm still not convinced Philbin is a quality NFL HC, but Ross obviously likes him and wants him to remain, no matter how the Dolphins finish this season. I see this as a problem if Ross wants to hire a new GM after this season. I don't imagine the better prospects for GM will want to take the job if the owner isn't going to let them determine if they want to keep the HC or not.

I would rather see Ross hire someone to oversee the entire football operations. This person should hire a new GM and these two individuals should determine if Philbin stays or a new HC is needed for the team. While Ross may be the owner, I'm not convinced he knows what he is doing when it comes to hiring the best personnel to run his football team. First he fired the HC two years ago and kept the GM. Now it appears he might fire the GM and keep the HC.

Hopefully he can find a solid individual to take over control of the football side of the operation after this season. He should let this person make the necessary football decisions and he can just be a fan on Sunday's and work on getting the stadium upgrades he wants. The less he is involved in personnel decisions for the football operations, the better it will be for the team.

20. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i don´t know why you would list brandon marshall, reggie bush and mike wallace....they were good players before and still are

21. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I think you need to give a NFL head coach 3-4 years to show what they are capable of. For one, it takes time to teach players new systems and schemes. Two, it takes time to instill the kind of culture you want and make sure you have the kind of character players you want in that culture. In the dolphins case, I think extra change was needed to overcome a losing culture that's plagued us for the better part of a decade. I've seen enough out of Philbin in teams of dealing with the bullying case and how competitive we've been this year to think he deserves another year.

It gets tougher with Ireland. He's been here for almost 6 years. How much of the Parcells portion was him vs Parcells? While he's been here, he hasn't been terrible but he also hasn't been good. He's been decent to good with his 1st round picks. He's been horrible with his 2nd and 3rd round picks. And he's been pretty good in the 4th through 7th rounds. My biggest problem with him was how weak our OL was coming into the season. Not only has it hurt RTH's development and his ability to make plays our running game is non-existent.

I also think when you look at some of the off-field stuff(getting into it with a fan, Dez Bryant and whatever his part is in the Martin saga) that has to factor in as well.

22. toto

Dec 6, 2007
    Vellmar, Germany
    Of course. But they underperformed while they were in Miami imo. In Bush and Wallace case they were/are not used the way they should be. We all know that about Bush and CK had a couple of posts about the play design for wallace.

And I listed veterans because you can't judge a GM just of his draft.

Like I said. I'm not defending Ireland and it is time for change for sure. I'm just saying the players he drafted or brought in via free agency might look better with a coaching staff that is capable of putting players in situations where they can flourish most.

And I'm not sure our coaches are able to adapt their schemes around the individual talent every player has and hide their weaknesses...

23. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Your second and third round picks are your most valuable picks, and Jeff has been woefully bad in selecting talent in those rounds.

24. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    He's also very bad when it comes to free agency. He does not understand positional value and is too willing to overpay in free agency. He also lacks a view on how to put together a complete team where all the parts work together, and he is struggling at identifying talent for a different system than what he is used to.

25. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Philbin is much more dangerous to this team than Ireland is. The worst case scenario with Ireland is the team will stagnate, Philbin and his staff can and probably will ruin your quarterback, other players, and put this team in a hole.

toto and RoninFin4 like this.
  26. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    wat

27. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I've said it in other threads, but if you struggle to win, it's likely a talent issue rather than a coaching issue. What has been the one constant since the year 2000 that has lead to the Dolphins having only 1 winning season in the past 10 years? Poor personnel decisions. Since 2008, the one constant has been Jeff Ireland. We've changed coaches, and this is still a mediocre team. The coach's use of the talent on the team isn't the reason this team is mediocre. It's the person putting the team together. How much money was spent in free agency this off season? Those free agents, outside of Brent Grimes, have made little to no impact on winning this year. We have gotten little to no impact from the draft. We have a major issue with our offensive line, and to fix it, we are going to have to create a hole somewhere else because of the free agent money spent this off season.

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  28. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    There is absolutely no evidence that this is the case. Coaches don't have that much effect unless they are very bad, and Joe Philbin clearly isn't Cam Cameron bad. If this staff was bad, this team would have been lost with all the outside distractions. Jeff Ireland is much more dangerous to this team. Joe Philbin's biggest issue is that he doesn't handle the media well.

mlb1399 and NolesNPhinsFan like this.
  29. toto

Dec 6, 2007
    Vellmar, Germany
    You can see that two ways.

The team was already loosing before the distraction.
    So..., was it Philbin keeping the team together and motivating them or was the team by itself just coming closer together because of the drama and Philbin had nothing to do with it?

Where would we stand without the extra motivation of the Martin drama? Maybe even worse...

Or was it really the coach who got the team together?

Who knows...

30. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    There is no doubt in my mind Ireland is more dangerous.
    But is it possible Philbin is as bad or close to as bad at handling the locker room as he is at handling the media?

31. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Barry Jackson sports buzz 12/7 - Philbin expected back in 2014, Ireland's sta...

I think people on this and other boards are too mired in the themes of the forums ( ie. "clean house", "fire Ireland", "fire Philbin") that they become disconnected from reality.

Ireland has his warts - number one being that he is a grade-A a-hole. But his performance is not as bad as the fanbase has made it out to be. If you look back, the real vitriol took off and never let up around the time he didn't sign Matt Flynn. This, along with Kyle Orton the previous off-season, have proven to be astute "non acquisitions."

As for Philbin, he's a second year coach with a second year QB and an otherwise very young roster. We're in the thick of the playoff hunt. The team plays hard and have been a tough out in all but one game.

The reality is that there won't be any house-cleaning. At most, Ireland won't be retained. But this will have more to do with his relationship with Philbin (if it is even as bad as some think) than actual performance. If you look around the league and the player acquisition records of a lot of GMs, there are a lot worse options than Ireland.

GMJohnson and Stringer Bell like this.
  32. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Well said. The whole post was quote worthy but I highlighted this because I don't think people realize how challenging this is. It's not like he's working with a veteran QB or a veteran team. I think he's done a pretty good job considering.

33. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Ultimately for Jeff Ireland we have a sub-.500 record and a continuing disaster at offensive line despite him applying massive resources there. Lots of unused caproom and Reggie Bush tearing it up in Detroit hasn't helped his cause either.

Those are the facts that matter. Yes, he is an awful personality.

I've always maintained he is a average to slightly above average GM and I remain skeptical we can get a better one. You don't replace a guy simply to replace him. You upgrade.

34. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Of course, Chris Johnson will be cut by the Titans after the season. So expect Ireland to go HUGE in free agency to compensate for the awful running game.

And Chris will average 2.7 ypc here and be traded for two sixth round picks two years later.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  35. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    That would be a typical Jeff Ireland move. Give Chris Johnson a big money contract when Chris Johnson doesn't fix our running problems....i.e...short yardage situations.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  36. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Jeff Ireland the *******. Where is this coming from, am I the only one who hasn't met him personally?

ToddPhin likes this.
  37. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    You weren't invited to his house for dinner?

38. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Nope ;(

39. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Could you be specific again what it is about Philbin?

40. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The way the whole organization is setup scares me the most. I'm not a fan of Ireland or the staff, and I think Miami is better served to clean house completely. I think the case to keep Philbin and some of the staff is stronger than the case to keep Jeff Ireland.

I think a lot of people merely cite that Ireland has signed and/or drafted good players, but the composition of the roster - which is a separate issue - is his downfall and has been with Bill Parcells and post-Parcells and why he'll be gone if Miami is going to pit one against the other between he and Joe Philbin.

That being said, [a lot] of Philbin's staff ought to be replaced as well even if he's kept.