1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When and where to wear jerseys (Not just Fins)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Griese's Glasses, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    When I was younger I didn't think too much about it. Sports events, sports bars and home gatherings is fine but is it too much of a statement to wear your team support to the mall or running errands? I used to love just repping the Fins, Senators or Raptors because you start conversations and meet people you wouldn't otherwise. Even jabs from Jets or Bills fans wearing their stuff, I love it, it's all part of the hobby. Even had a cute girl hold the door open for me and say "I love the dolphins!" for wearing my Hartline to a restaurant.

But lately i've been getting stares for rocking my 2012 Tanny in the market or around town and i'm not sure if it's hate/envy/curiosity or what but maybe i'm missing out on something everyone else gets? I realize it might be a fashion faux pas but is it really that strange to wear team apparel in this age of skinny jeans and 1-size-too-small t-shirts?

I don't really care either way, i'll wear what I want but I just want to hear what other Fins think on the matter. Are jerseys that much of an eye-sore these days?

Boik14 likes this.
  2. depends on how old you are

3. Griese's Glasses

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    I'm 22. I can see myself wearing one at 40 though. See maybe that's where i'm missing something?

4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    An Ottawa resident cheering for a Toronto team?

I have several jerseys and rarely wear them. Not sure why. I wear them on game days on occasion, but not even to sports bars and such. Really, only on game day.

Bpk likes this.
  5. Griese's Glasses

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    We don't have a pro basketball team so outside of hockey Toronto represents Canada both in baseball and basketball. We don't let our hate of the Leafs blind us to the city itself.

6. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm from Toronto, I know you don't have a BBall team. Still find it interesting that the hate from hockey doesn't bleed into other sports. Can we all agree that Vancouver sucks? :wink2:

7. Griese's Glasses

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Isn't the common threat Montreal? lol I have nothing against the western boys but you are right Vancouver fans can be jackasses.

As for the Raptors...Vince Carter got me into basketball and since he left I still kept watching the Raptors, they never reached that level of competition or intensity since though.

8. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm a Montreal Habs fan living in Toronto, but I do like making fun of french Canadians. I am a mess.

9. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'm from Toronto and other than a brief spell in the mid 90's when Dougie Gilmour won my heart I was a Red Wings fan. Even then, though, never a big hockey guy.

Loved baseball until the 94 strike. Then soccer. Then NFL. Haven't switched sports since I found the NFL.

I think the Habs have the coolest history, and coolest logo, and coolest fans. Senators had the best team from 2005 on though.

Tone_E likes this.
  10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Where and when to wear jerseys (Not just Fins)

a) anywhere if it's gameday.
    b) anywhere if you're black.
    c) anywhere if you're Latino from LA.
    d) anywhere if you're from NY or Jersey.

:shifty:

11. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Haven't really noticed anything, but in the South you see football gear everywhere almost daily. No idea how things are in Canada. You're not wearing it over a parka, are you? lol...

A lot of people who don't follow pro football probably don't know who Tannehill is and won't recognize the number. Same crowd still aren't tuned into the new team colors and logo either. I get lots of comments on these when I wear my newer gear.

12. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    You're getting stared at because everyone thinks Tannehill sucks. That's the perception anyway.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    It is??? :huh:

14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I wear suits, not jerseys.

15. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Yup, every non-Dolphin fan I speak to, doesn't think much of him.

16. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    OK, Stinson.

17. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    How about anywhere you feel like it? Who gives a rat's *** what other people think?

Rocky Raccoon, xphinfanx, RGF and 3 others like this.
  18. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    [​IMG]

Aqua4Ever04, xphinfanx and Fin-Omenal like this.
  19. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I'm 35 and have a healthy collection of jerseys from different sports. Typically I don't limit where I will a jersey though I typically like to wear different ones certain places. If im going to the beach, play basketball, workout or anything else athletic I'll wear a basketball jersey. If im going to a mall or a bar I'll wear a football jersey or a baseball jersey. Hockey jerseys are pretty much reserved for attending a game.

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Except in manhattan...or any place of moderate affluence, if you hope to get some ***.

21. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I wear my jersey on game days or to the sports bar. I have worn it out otherwise once and was complimented on it. I don't wear it to school, but that's just personal preference. It's a nice Tanny jersey, so I'm hoping to make it last a long time. The last time I had a Dolphins QB jersey that was relevant was Marino, and that was back when I was much younger.

22. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

True. But, you can literally wear anything at all here and no one will give you a second look. I wear fins jerseys all over the place and like Pagan said, no one gives a rats ***.

ToddPhin likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Well, I was at Tiger's tourney yesterday here in So Cal, and a dude had a Steelers' jersey on. (Todd, I believe he was of mixed origin :shifty). It's a good thing he was on the other side of the hole though because I had my Dolphins hat on (of course) and I would have had to talk **** to him.

ToddPhin likes this.
  24. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    He did answer your question

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  25. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I'm 27. I don't wear jerseys because I feel weird wearing another dude's name-that's younger than me-on my back. I would consider wearing a nameless jersey like they do for colleges, but I'm not a big fan of the expense and a t-shirt in team colors is much more to my taste.

26. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This is the worst. I had this happen to me before and the guy said "I don't follow the team I just like the jacket"

I don't talk to anyone wearing sports gear now unless it's during a game at a bar because half of these people do it for fashion instead of actually being a fan of the team.

27. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This is a popular stance but I don't get it or agree with it. I'm 27 too and I'll wear jerseys of players younger than me because they play for my team. I don't care how old they are. The point is that they're players who go out and play for the team I love.

However, I usually prefer to wear hoodies instead of jerseys because hoodies are the best form of clothing ever created. It all depends on my mood though. Like Boik, I'll wear jerseys in most normal settings. Gameday, bar, beach, park, errands, etc. If I'm going out to dinner on a random Wednesday night I won't wear it or at a family party of function for instance. But yeah, I still love wearing jerseys but I prefer a nice, comfortable Dolphins/Mets hoodie.

28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    the franks and beans side? :huh: