1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet recommendations

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rocky Raccoon, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Not an iPad though. What you got? Samsung? Microsoft? Kindle?

It's not something I want to get for work or anything like that. Strictly for personal use so I don't have to use a laptop all the time. Something that's easy to use and play around on. Like a toy. Internet, apps, games, video, camera, etc. stuff like that. Something I can take with me on vacation or the beach or the park. Something solid that won't cost me a fortune. Something that would be great to use for ThePhins too. :wink2:

What say you?

2. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    You have 3 options. IPad air, Samsung Galaxy and Microsoft Surface 2.

The air is 500 and it's apple. I don't like them but if you do and have lots of apple products its a strong candidate.

I really love the surface 2. Its windows 8 and 450 plus 129 for the magnetic keyboard. The nice thing is it comes with Microsoft office so if you want to do work stuff on your tablet you can. But you are limited to the Microsoft store.

Finally the galaxy we have on sale at best buy this weekend for 299. Its a solid Android tablet and has the ir tech to use it as a remote control with newer TVs. There is also the note at 504 which has a 4 core instead of a 2 core processor that's in the galaxy. Also it has better resolution, a stylus and multi window functionality.

Now these are all the options at 10 inch. Personally I really love the surface for the windows OS and office included. Now if you want a smaller tablet there are options and id be glad to go over them but I have another early black Friday shift so I need to go to bed. Can cover those later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I love my iPad..had it for two strait years, no problems, nothin..and I'm computer illiterate..never have to clean anything..and I run the hell out of it.

Rocky Raccoon and Vengeful Odin like this.
  4. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Thanks man. 10 inch sounds more appealing than the 7 inch tablet for obvious reasons. But of course they're also more expensive. Right now the Microsoft Surface 2 appeals to me the most just by doing some quick searches, but admittedly I know next to nothing about electronics. As sad as that is.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I know iPads are good but to me they're just wayyyy too expensive.

6. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I would look into google nexus 7 2013, if you are willing to go with 7“. Its really affordable.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

7. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    You can get a 4th Gen refurb Ipad from apple for 379 (Ipad 4th gen refurb). They put in a new battery and offer up the a one year warranty like you were buying a new one. I've used both a iPad and Galaxy, no experience with the Surface 2. I'm very happy with my iPad and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Also another question to ask is what type of smartphone you currently and how much your tied into Apple or Andriods ecosystem, since you can download lots of already purchased apps onto whichever tablet you end up getting. Sometimes that can be a big factor in deciding, my wife has an iPhone and I have a galaxy S4, so that didn't really play a factor in which tablet I choose. Good luck deciding, and enjoy whatever tablet you end up getting.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I have an iPhone and love it. I like the iPads too but they're just so expensive.

9. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I work in Tech and have worked on a lot of different pads. Not an Apple fan at all and I hate proprietary systems like stuff from Apple and Microsoft. I deal mostly with opensource systems and do a lot of State, Federal, and Healthcare work.

If you're ONLY looking for a cheap 10" Android pad that is Google Store compatible, for the stuff you mentioned, check out the PiPO pads. I've had one for 2 years with zero problems... $225 brand new. Runs Custom opensource ROMS.

http://www.flsuperstore.com/tablets/capacitive-touch/10/pipo-m9-max-16gb-quad-core-tablet.html

Current specs are Android OS 4.2, Quad core CPU, and 2BG RAM. Storage at 16GB, but expandable up to 48GB total.

I bought mine to travel with as I didn't want to lug around a laptop when on vacation. Nice metal case and you can buy a hard cover for it to protect the screen so you can toss in a carry on bag or backpack. Have to fight my youngest kid for it constantly as its her favorite gaming tablet. Thinking of giving it to her as an extra present and getting me the newer version in the link above...

10. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Target is offering them with a 100 dollar gift card today.

I'm loving mine thus far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD