1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time-out tactics - Carolina

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by o2binibiza, Nov 26, 2013.

1. o2binibiza

o2binibiza New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Hi,
    New join and first post on the forum. Wanted to know the following (to start with!):
    Watched the game on redzone here in the UK (basically shows highlights and all plays when teams are in redzone), so I saw the game winning drive by the Panthers. What confused me was the use of our time-outs. I couldn't understand the tactical reasons for us spunking our timeouts when leading and defending. In my uneducated mind it gave Newton and the Panthers offensive team time to re-organise and not worry about the clock.
    Can anyone explain to me the tactical reasons why we would use our timeouts in this fashion and not keep them to potentially use offensively if/when the Panthers had scored?
    Cheers

2. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Philbin wanted to save time. He was worried (and quite rightly so) that Carolina would run down the clock. It's easier to control the clock when you're on offense.

BTW, welcome aboard.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Even so, we should have called TO just before the two minute warning.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Critically speaking, there were two missed timeouts by our coaches..

First one was before the half, Coyle got scattered after the penalty and put out the same defense that was called before the penalty..

The 2nd, was not calling one before their fourth down try...it's been rehashed a lot..

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Yeppers. No excuse for either one.

6. o2binibiza

o2binibiza New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Thanks for the responses. There was plenty of effing & jeffing going on in my house during that last 2 mins!

7. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Please, elaborate.

8. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I wouldn't say that was a bad decision, Philbin was probably elated they were going for it in that spot and a timeout may have given them the opportunity to come to their senses. I'm fine with it either way in that situation.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Their team knew they were in fourth down territory before the drive...ours did not..there needed to be a timeout to even the focus.