1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coyle accepts blame..." My mistake, not the players"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Nov 26, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Said he had remembered newton throwing a 65 yard bomb to end a half in college, so he played A Hail Mary/ pressure type prevent..problem he says, that was before the penalty, said he should of changed the call after the penalty, but didn't, "my mistake"

Sure was buddy...next time call a freakin timeout, same thing for you Philbin, if you gott'em use'em.

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He also confirmed what I thought on the Philip wheeler deflection, hell of a play by wheeler timing his leap, but there was an easy pick 6 right behind him...damn man, game of inches I tell ya, enough to give you a damn heart attack.

ElNino and maynard like this.
  3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Two players had their best games as miami dolphins..wheeler and Carroll....

If they can continue and Patterson comes back, we might be able to travel with that defense.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Philbin is asked same question that Coyle was...he protected the schemes integrity citing that it was a play they practice all the time, it was nothing new, and that Carolina made a good play."", the reporter reiterated what it was he was trying to explain to the coach, Philbin was not havin it, saying, it's on film, it's a play we called"

No man, you need to take the hit philbin, and not put any blame on your players for such an idiotic call.

shula_guy likes this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Philbin is asked why hasn't the team scored a TD in the fourth quarter of 7 strait games."... He answers with we've got to make more plays, for example, he mentioned the misfire from Tannehill at the 4.12 mark in the fourth, said from the tape it was wide open""

Anyone remember that play..

Anyhow, accepted no blame on behalf of the coaches..

6. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

hey Joe... maybe that is why the Panthers ran a good play... cause it was on you know... ON FILM...

dumbass

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Dude took a beating by the reporters...he was shaky at best..

Good solid questions by the reporters I might add.

"Why have you dropped in your run defense from #3 to #7 to #25 when you have essentially the same personnel.

" you give up that one big run it goes up, don't get me wrong they all count, but we gotta get off blocks better, tackle better,"

Must win Next week Joe. there were positives from this Carolina game...if you can't build on them and get the job done, then I think your gonna be in real trouble.

8. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I think that was the slant to Wallace. Can't confirm as I just deleted the game. I do note that Philbin puts more public blame on Tannehill than Wallace for their lack of chemistry. I don't think the facts necessarily establishes that it is primarily Tannehill's fault. I do think, and I could be wrong, that Philbin puts more of this on Tannehill than Wallace quite simply because he has thicker skin and can take it. I don't know Wallace at all but he strikes me as someone that can be easily discouraged and thus shut down. Who knows.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah that was it..hmmm, he said it was wide open, I don't remember it, did Tannehill airmail it?

10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Philbin has blamed himself plenty during PCs. I agree with him though for the most part. Obviously with the play at the end of the half, he didn't want to throw Coyle under the bus for the terrible call, so he showered Carolina with love for making the play.

As far as the comments on the 4th quarter, he's absolutely right. Players need to make more plays in order to close out these games.

11. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    No - Wallace for some reason stopped his route. Had he kept running...he'd still be running.

fins1 and djphinfan like this.
  12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Man, this one new reporter was not letting him off the hook..

He follows the run defense question with, there were no big runs yesterday, it was more like wear you down type runs, why was this once a strength now a weakness, how are you trying to get better.."

Philbin was boiling, and stuttering, "we have to do a better job.."..he points out the runs by the panthers.

Follow up again, " what do you do about that, you have talented players that use to be able to stop the run, why are they getting worse, what are you doing about that"

"Well, chuckle..we run individual drills, then group drills, the team drills, it's a progression, we throw the scheme at them...and that's the way we work on it""

That room was filled with heat...and he was feeling it..

Must win joe..

13. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Cue Phintasmic saying Philbin must've had his favorite couch crapped on by Tannehill to have such blind hate for him in 3...2...1..

14. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    those were some damn great questions.... and some poor answers.

shula_guy and mnfinfan like this.
  15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You know what? Good. For one thing, I appreciate the media asking tough questions. It's better than Armando, Omar, et al. Second, if Joe Philbin can't find answers after this, it's going to get worse and he's going to sink his own ship, if he already hasn't.

Third, Dayton Flyers took down Gonzaga tonight. I probably won't sleep tonight. Work's going to be a tough mother tomorrow.

finyank13 likes this.
  16. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Re-watched. Those were some pretty awful answers.

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In summation:

-My Staff was outcoached
    -Players did not make enough plays to bail us out
    -It's on film

RoninFin4 and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  18. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I don't get the sentiment around here that he needs to come up with better answers to these questions in press conferences... He's just not going to get into details, he never has, not last year, not this year. Not many coaches do. I'm sure he could go into all the football related details around why the run game is weaker, but thats generally not what any coach does in a press conference anymore. They go out... get questions thrown at them, give generic answers that mean nothing... this isn't new. Im sure they know why, I'm sure theyre trying on fixing the issues, these guys are smart football people, or they wouldn't be coaching at this level. Now... whether they are good enough to remain in this positions is up in the air... but you're never going to get the answers you want in this type of a setting... never, ever.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  19. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    uh, but it isnt the same players... two of the three linebackers are new and they are both terrible tacklers. Just sayin.

pacadermng67 likes this.
  20. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I think he was a little better with the media last year, and I think Dawn Aponte has had a negative influence on him when it comes to the media this year. However, I do not think Joe realized what he was getting himself into with the media appearances when he took this job. The guy is an introverted personality. He does not do well when the cameras are put on him. He doesn't look people in the eyes when he talks to them. Heck, he is this way with the players. He doesn't look them in the eyes. To me, this is his tragic flaw. I think overall, he lacks the communication skills to be a head coach. There are a lot of coaches that do a better job of handling the media. Rex Ryan doesn't say anything more than Joe, but you can tell he's more confident in what he says. Rex also goes out of his way to take criticism away from his players.

The question I would have asked him if I were a reporter in that room is whether he even considered going for it on 4th down with 3 to go on Carolina's 35 yard line with 7:22 left in the game instead of attempting a 52 yard field goal?

21. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I have no faith in our coaches. They're the main reason we're 5-6 and not better.

shula_guy, RoninFin4 and finyank13 like this.
  22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    That must have been Armando, because he said the same stupid stuff on the radio.

Yeah, the same personnel, except for 2 LBers who have been lousy against the run.

23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    No, the fact Tannehill is on pace to shatter the franchise record for sacks and that we can't run the ball worth a damn are the main reason we're 5-6

24. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I understand the frustrations with Coyle, but it's really hard for me to be that angry when the D is giving up so few points. We are losing because the offense can't score over 20 points and that's mostly because we can't run the ball when we need to. Even the games with high aggregate run totals have been marked with an inability to line up and power the ball when required

shula_guy, ToddPhin and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's not about him giving more detailed answers, I expect that..it felt to me that when he got pressed in the room he protected his staff and accepted no blame...maybe it was time for an Andy Reid presser I don't know, one where he takes full responsibility..??

ToddPhin and RoninFin4 like this.
  26. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Which is due to coaching.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  27. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    For the love of me, I am still trying to figure out Coyle's mindset playing the defense he played at the end of the 1st half....

RoninFin4 likes this.
  28. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I have a problem believing Ross, a highly successful business man, would place the success of his team in a man that can't look people in the eye in a meeting, including the locker room.

29. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I quite frankly am not going to pass judgment on a man I haven't met. As for the not looking into the eyes thing, again I haven't had a one on one conversation with him so I cannot say this is accurate.

As for Sunday's game, it was easily winnable with one or two key plays but unfortunately we have so little talent that's exactly what it comes down to. Carolina could have pulled away if Newton was an accurate deep passer or if Ginn could catch. It goes both ways.

Having said all this with speculating about perceived character flaws, this ultimately comes down to wins and losses and this team has to find a way to win games. If we finish 7-9 or 8-8, don't expect a house-cleaning but a power struggle between the coaching staff and the GM regarding what went wrong. If that's the case, I ultimately expect the coaching staff to win out.

30. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I was at the game and when the defensive backs all dropped back near the end zone with 8 seconds left in the half, everyone around me was asking what the he** the coaches were thinking. We all knew that the Panthers had time to complete a pass and get out of bounds, so why didn't the coaches realize this?

Coyle taking blame for this error really doesn't excuse him from the fact he shown have known better in the first place.

31. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Good point

32. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    But this is the current state of the team and roster. Ultimately, relinquishing 3 points at the end of the half at home should be a non-issue. It's just that we have so little talent that these issues are critical.

What this ultimately tells me is that even with a win and ultimately an 8-8 or 9-7 record or the loss and a 7-9 record, the problem is still the same. This team is not good enough yet.

33. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Period. And I strongly believe if we had a better head coach we would have at least two more wins

34. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

But, will we ever be good enough with this current coaching staff.?

shula_guy and RoninFin4 like this.
  35. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    We don't know but we do know that we lack talent at so many key positions. Quite honestly I don't know how any coaching staff can win with an o-line similar to the Houston Texans circa 2002.

36. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Here's my problem with that:

There were 2 big projects this front office and staff apparently undertook this past off-season. One was to get Tannehill more weapons, which they did with Wallace, Gibson and Keller. Unfortunately 2 of them went down for the year and the other has been a disappointment. The other was to re-tool the defense by swapping out Burnett and Dansby for Wheeler and Ellerbe, and to supplement that with the high pick of Dion Jordan, thereby being able to bring pressure from various spots and to be able to disguise their blitz packages effectively. I'd imagine this was pushed for by Coyle, with support from Philbin and probably Ireland.

Twelve weeks later, it's been a failure so far. This defense is currently ranked 19th in yards allowed and 26th in rushing defense. And while they're tied for 10th in points allowed, they are also slightly closer to 16th or 17th than they are to 9th. They have allowed the opposition to tie or take the lead in the 4th quarter on 6 different occasions this year, and have blown leads of 14, 17 and 13 points in the second halves of games. In addition, the run defense in the 4th quarter this year has been fairly abysmal.

Now, I realize that some of that is on the offense, and I'm not much of a Sherman fan. But you have an offensive line that was being compared to an expansion team before the whole Martin-Incognito thing went down. You have running backs that either aren't very good (Thomas) or can't seem to create much on his own unless he has some space to work with (Miller). You also have inconsistent blocking from both the backs and the TE's (although Egnew has been a surprise in this regard). This team is just not equipped to score a lot of points right now, and most of it isn't Tannehill's fault. Because of this, the defense has needed to be better and be more like the defense many of us were expecting. They've shown glimpses of that, but have been nowhere near consistent in that regard.

That's why I'm more angry with Coyle and the defense than I am with Sherman and the offense, but more angry with Ireland for a good deal of this mess.

RoninFin4, cuchulainn and maynard like this.
  37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Think about this, the pieces around Tannehill, the only difference..mike Wallace..with a much worse oline.

38. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The coaching staff is most certainly making the blocking issues worse than they should be. This is not a historically bad offensive line, it's not really even that awful in the context of other lines playing right now.

They've decided to keep their quarterback in the pocket and then run 5 and 6-man protection schemes(generally with a mediocre pass blocking back), even in the face of it not really working.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right, but the problems aren't mutually exclusive of each other.

Not scoring 20 pts a game is bad. Allowing 80+ yard drives late in the game to lose the lead is equally as bad. Both need to be fixed. To be honest, I think the offense is the easier of the problems to fix (by easier I mean its easy to diagnose the problem, the oline, and set a course of action to fixing it) then it is the defense.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the defense is missing another very good corner and a middle linebacker with an attitude and leadership.

I think the offense needs a lot Fin..running back..receiver..tight end..scat back..returner..3 Olineman.