1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think about this concerning Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Nov 25, 2013.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ryan Tannehill=leading passer, including a 300 yd gm yesterday

Guess who our leading rusher was?

Ryan Tannehill with 36 yds

This is why I say he pretty much is the offense, everything is going through him so to argue about a hail mary pass that went 64 yds in the air, and was on target, just seems a bit silly to me.

5 Td's away from topping the 20 Td barrier, first time that will have happened since the heady days of Jay Fieldler in 2002...wow.

Tony Romo for all the grief he takes, consistently hits 30 Td's per yr, enjoy Tannehill folks.

2. Dolfan330

Dolfan330 My wein is so chaffed...

Jan 25, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm getting mixed messages here...

Nappy Roots likes this.
  3. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    To make the OP's matter worse: this offense generates like zero RAC. It's pathetic. Tannehill has to work his *** off for every yard because his receivers aren't doing anything with the ball in their hands. I look at Cincy or even Pats games and see high-percentage pitch-and-catch throws set up well with good timing and leading ball placement...and that mix of things sets up a big run after the catch.

And yea, I'm crossing my fingers that Gillislee somehow comes out and explodes. The RBs we have just aren't passable or acceptable in this league.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    hmm, shouldn't be, he is doing everything but driving the team bus to games.

Do I see flaws in his game?

Absolutely, spotty deep ball accuracy and sometimes spotty accuracy on short passes.

Consider he is doing all of these things behind a OL and scheme that has gotten him sacked 44 times, who knows how many hits he has absorbed

My goodness, what else can he do kick FG's?

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, we know he can run receiver routes. :shifty:

SICK likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't believe the Wr corps, or Clay is a problem, to me it's a great group.

Think about this, we all know BLine runs sideline routes, Db's know this, the out and up will be there..BUT...can't call that play BC the offensive line is so leaky he won't have time to let that play develop

7. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I think we need to step back for second and look at all these young QBs. Save for Wilson, they're all struggling to a certain degree. Luck is an under 60% passer who's prone to overshooting his receivers. RG3...I really don't know what I can say but that I'm concerned that this season might ruin him. C-Kaep...today was only his 3rd game over 200 yards passing and he's nearly always locked onto his primary read.

On the point of Wilson, I just noted that he has only made 275 attempts to Tannehill's 408. And due to the running game gobbling up the bulk of those offensive plays, you know the majority of those passes are high percentage passes.

Just food for thought.

8. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I think our receivers are all competent NFL players and I'm fine with that. I cannot accept that we have, as some league execs have stated, an expansion level offensive line.

From Philbin's post game presser yesterday, I caught the sense that he is disgusted with the state of the offensive line.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My goodness, Tannehill was taking TKO type hits, per PFF no offensive lineman had a good game or positive grade.

10. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Tannehill's fault.

11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    This man gets it.

All Tannehill's fault.

maybe if he wasn't so inexperienced, his lineman would be all pros. How comes no one thinks of these things?

phintasmic likes this.
  12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Look, I'm not sure how this board became so pro-Tannehill but the kid is what he is. Ryan has a strong arm and fantastic pre-snap reads, which is why our management wanted him so badly. The part you guys are missing here is that they're still running his college offense because he's learning as he goes...you have to remember that in QB years Tannehill is still only a senior. Luck, RG3, Wilson and others all have at least 2 years of experience on him.

The offensive line is a major problem, but it's certainly not the only issue at play here. The average pass in the NFL is delivered in 2.8 seconds, and Tannehill's throws are consistent with that number. He's not getting good protection, no, but he's also freezing in the pocket when his primary read is not open and he's leaving a lot of plays on the field. Yesterday he took off running 2-3 times and you have to ask, "Why did it take 27 weeks (+16 games last season) for the coaching staff to teach him this?" The answer is that they've asked him to do that all along, he's just not seeing it in time and reacting accordingly.

In terms of completions, Tannehill is still throwing off target on a lot of plays. While his out routes and slants are fairly precise at times, he's not anticipating his throws across the middle of the field. Look at other stud QB's in this league, placement is everything, yet Ryan consistently places the ball where receivers are adjusting their routes to make the catch. Part of that is his lack of experience, but that excuse only flies for so long in the NFL. In the very near future, he's going to have to figure out that part of the game or we will be looking for other options in 2014.

I'm not against Tannehill by any stretch of the imagination and I root for the kid every Sunday, but he's just not there yet. Like I said in another post, he's targeted Wallace almost 100 times this season and has not hit him once in stride...that's a huge, glaring signal that only someone wearing aqua-colored glasses won't be able to see. Like someone else here said, right now Tannehill is the majority of our offense...yes...but only because he does not create opportunities for his receivers to make plays. That and a fantastic defense are why we're a 5-6 team but make no mistake, without our D showing up every Sunday, Tannehill has us at 0-9.

The question eventually has to be asked when Matt Moore will come off the bench, because at this point it's almost inevitable. Tannehill easily leaves 20 points per game on the field with bad decision-making and poorly placed throws, almost all of which is not the kid's fault. I often wonder how much different he'd be if they sat him for a year behind Moore and then set him loose, because he has a heart of gold and fantastic determination. The kid's definitely a leader and someone you want under center, he's just not there yet by any stretch of the imagination.

gafinfan likes this.
  13. CRAZYFACE

CRAZYFACE Active Member

Sep 13, 2011
    England
    Kid? 25! Kid?!!!!!!

14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    In other words, you'd rather praise the mediocre play of a QB because his stats are better than the other team's...even though we lost? If his passes were on target last Sunday, we win that ballgame by 20+ points easy. There's nothing to celebrate here.

gafinfan likes this.
  15. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Stop clouding the hate with facts.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    sacked 3 times for -30 yds, hit how many times.

Anyhow, not going to quote the long post, however THill has 2.3 seconds on avg to throw, Ck did a huge study on it.

17. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013
    [h=2]This message is hidden because keith075 is on your ignore list.[/h]View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

Anybody who thinks we should start Moore should be banished to Finheaven forever. That's just a stupid comment. I will never read it again.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah, to me he is not completely wrong, THill does miss throws, what he is not considering is the lack of running game also means THill has to be more "perfect" then he really ought to be.

Qb's will miss throws, especially deep down the field throws, a simple look at the box score and 32 yd fg and a 23 yd Fg, that at least one should have been a Td, and we see the more reachable fruit.

Add in as Stitches points out:

THill has also rushed for almost a Qtr of our rushing first downs as well, he's pretty much carrying the offense, those two Fg's above, the lack of a running game was huge in that happening.

19. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I'd agree. The fact that this offense is even averaging as much as we are with that offensive line and RB's that can't create when there's little blocking is a testament to Ryan.

I also think the inaccuracy is overstated somewhat. He needs to get better, no doubt about it. But even the elite QB's in this league usually misfire a few times a game.

20. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    If Doug Flutie could why can't Ryan?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  21. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    while your avatar rocks, your suggestion of bringing Matt Moore off the bench is insanely stupid. We wouldn't even be getting FGs with Matt Moore behind this Oline.

phintasmic likes this.
  22. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    I'd much rather have posters who express their "stupid" opinions in a thoughtful and mature manner, than posters who insult others because they believe their opinion is the only opinion.

gafinfan likes this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is the one thing that worries me about Tannehill, not sure accuracy like that can be taught.

Stats wise he is accurate enough, out on the field it's a different case

24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Anyone ever think about this concerning factor, Ryan Tannehill came into the pros with his same coach, same offense, and same lingo, and he's not out playing other QBs.

I mean, Luck basically had the same thing, but this is a monster advantage, yet his rookie season and so far this season he was outplayed by so many other QBs.

I mean, I never played QB, but I would just assume that would be a gigantic advantage for him.

25. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Your post reeks of extremism and bias.

Two Tacos and phintasmic like this.
  26. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013

If you want to play with the trolls, go right ahead. I have better things to do.

27. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Its an advantage earlier on but as the other rookie QBs became comfortable with their respective offenses the advantage diminishes, particularly when you are talking about QBs like Luck, Wilson and RGIII who are all smart guys.

Plus just because Tannehill was comfortable with the offense going into last year, it doesn't mean the rest of the players were. Last year was the first year we ran the WCO and even if we had an established QB there was going to be a learning curve for the rest of the team.

28. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    That fantastic defense has choked away games versus the Bills, Pats, Bucs, and now Panthers.

phintasmic likes this.
  29. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    This post is very ironic.

And it's my case/point.

30. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

But..its a college system. I think in alot of ways...Sherman is holding Tannehill back. He has to get out of his safe zone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2