1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road to the Playoffs. Welcome to Relevant December Football!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Nov 25, 2013.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Think back at the before the season started. We all wanted December relevant football. It doesn't matter how we got here, if doesn't matter if you think we should or shouldn't be where we are.

The fact is...

If we win next Sunday, we are the sixth seed and in the WC seat. Then we go to Pittsburgh for a huge game.

While yesterday's game sucked, it really wont have a huge impact on our season. It is all sitting out there for us. We don't need any help by another team losing.

Its actually pretty cool, ya'll. 5 Games left. FOUR AGAINST OUR HATED DIVISION RIVALS.
    So, heres a look at our 5 game season. Everything else is behind us.

Game 1) @ NY Jets.

New York is a different team at home. Make it the Dolphins @ home, and throw out the losses the last few weeks. This is a stout defense. This is a team we are not going to beat most likely on the ground. They pretty much stuff the run. But they can definitely be thrown on.

Geno Smith @ home stats:

4-1

84/153 54.9% completion
    1136 yards
    4 TDs/ 6 Int

71.1% Rating

Ryan Tannehill away stats:

2-3
    118/191 61.7% completion
    1261 yards
    7tds/ 7 Int

78 Rating

At a glance, it looks like its going to be very important to jump ahead on the Jets. When they have to play from behind more the 7pts is when Geno gets in trouble. The issue is, we have been unable to hold onto leads.

I wont make any predictions until later in the week, and we see our injury report. Daniel Thomas is out. How the affects our RB rotation from here out is anyones guess. Getting Pouncey and Patterson back would be huge. As well, there is the potential we see Richie Incognito back. (please...refrain from commenting about this from a what you think of him as a person. That's a different discussion)

SICK, ElNino, Rocky Raccoon and 5 others like this.
  2. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    LOL
    Every week it's another thread popping up about how that last loss doesn't matter... win our next one, and we are on our way to the playoffs. Haha. Maybe we make it, I don't know... but if we do make it, we're an early exit.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  3. vt_dolfan

It doesn't matter because it was an NFC team. Please refrain from the ....we suck...we are out in an early exit..blah blah blah.

Contrary to what some want...we can actually make the playoffs. And don't give me the early exit. We have beaten Cinci, and Indy. To very possible first round opponents.

ElNino and mullingan like this.
  4. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Look, I'd love for us to be relevent in the playoffs, I just don't see it. How many more losses before its "win the next two and we get a chance at the wildcard?" Hope springs eternal, I guess.

5. vt_dolfan

Being relevant in the playoffs is premature.

This is a discussion on getting to the playoffs. We don't need any other teams to lose at this point. So, we aren't going, well if we win this and they loose....

We have 5 winnable games...4 against our division rivals. A 5 game season to get to the playoffs.

ElNino likes this.
  6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The two teams we'd likely play (Indianapolis and Cincinnati) in the first round, we beat this year... just saying.

SICK and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  7. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We're goin to have to play our best football of the season in December. Going to have to deal with cold weather games too.

The way I see it. We need to win 4 of the 5. I think 9-7 gets us in. Beating the Jets twice is a must, and so is beating Buffalo. Then we need to steal one of the other two.

It's a tough challenge but it's good to be playing for something post-Thanksgiving.

Starry31 and mullingan like this.
  8. vt_dolfan

Every team left for that spot is in the same boat..or worse then us. Jslust how it is..but I know I'm not complaining.

9. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Not a knock but can you tell me how you reached this conclusion? We were 3-0 , now we are 5-6..losers of 6 out of our last 8..cant hold a lead to save our asses. Just asking how our last 5 are considered "winnable".

10. vt_dolfan

Well..which of them looks unwinnable?

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Good thread VT..

Travis, that is the million dollar question, and it's something I've been talking about for a year now, without ever getting legitimate discussion as to why or why not, but if this coaching staff agreed to instruct their Qb to not use his entire skillset to win a game and point blank game planned without calling plays that took advantage of his entire skillset, then I simply cannot trust their philosophies..that's ridiculous considering the oline they knew they had.

We saw the moving pocket that we all Have Been clamoring for and what happened??.. Exactly..

Ryan needs to play with a more sense of urgency from the first play, he needs to train his own mindset to think fourth down on every play, someone needs to instruct this into his head..

He's not deft I believe in the art of escapability, but he can do it on occasion and if he wants to be the best Qb he can be, he better start being more aware of down and distance and what gives him the better chance of getting a first down, him escaping the rush and finding an outlet and running for a first down, or throwing a two yard out pattern on third and three on a guy with no separation.

It's a MUST win for this staff, you simply cannot lose to a rebuilding jet team with that rookie Qb, not in your 2nd year, it would show regression..

As mad as I was yesterday at the offense not being able to pick up critical first downs and score any freakin points relative to oppurtunities, there was some encouraging signs of improvement as a whole..the deep ball was in play, the coordinator getting his head out of his *** and start using the entire skillset you drafted, and Ryan actually escaping the pocket at first sign of trouble instead of waiting to long..

Also our defense played HUNGRY...they played with fire, and the fans joined them on their feet...I'm so sorry those fans weren't rewarded..a lot of them looked like they were really trying to make a difference...I hadn't seen that in a long time..

Some folks like the dude above says how can we just forget the last game all the time, to that I say well, we have put ourselves into this position to be relevant, the goal of this season is to improve upon last year, with the Qb, and the team, both in their 2nd year..they have that chance to do so, and if they can get some playoff experience in the process, then that's the bonus..

mullingan likes this.
  12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We could get in at 8-8 too, but I'm going with the safer bet.

13. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Steelers could, they are getting hot at the right time, schedule isn't easy (Fins, Ravens, Packers, Bengals), but I could see them running the table.

Tenn has Houston, Jags, Cards at home, Bronco's and Colts. They could win 4 out of 5

14. vt_dolfan

We limited the Panthers to one sack..with a paltry rebuilt offensive line.

We arent playing bad and at times we are playing great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

15. vt_dolfan

Cant see them beating Colts and Broncos..and Cards are playing very well

16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I could honestly see the Steelers winning four of their last five games.

I wrote this on Twitter yesterday morning too because I saw the line on the PIT-CLE game favored CLE by 1 point and I asked everyone, what am I missing here? Are there some injuries or big factors I'm missing? The response I got was just weak stuff like "the Steelers suck" or "Cleveland is at home" etc. That told me I needed to go big on the Steelers. They'd won 4 of their last 6 games while the Browns had dropped 4 of their last 5 games.

This is another instance where how a team started out the season just immediately colored everyone's opinion of the team and then they just fail to update that opinion with newer and more relevant information.

Steelers have now won 5 of their last 7. Yeah they got Brady'd but that's a unique opponent, IMO. They won't play another team that strong again. A 93-yard touchdown run by a QUARTERBACK lost them the Raiders game.

Otherwise that's a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback and a Super Bowl winning head coach, surrounded by a young team that just had to learn to play some better football as the season went on. They're going to benefit from some further upside when Lamarr Woodley and Brett Keisel get back healthy.

I think they're really a team to watch.

ssmiami likes this.
  17. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Well, this week is possibly losable (kills me to admit it ). Up in Buffalo ? Tough game, possibly a loss. Home against the Patriots ? Very tough game especially if they need it for seeding purposes. At Pittsburgh ? VERY tough game especially the way they`ve been playing. Home against the Jets? OK, winnable.

18. vt_dolfan

Oh I agree completly. Taking off my Phins hat...Id lay wagers the Steelers get in. I can see very easy the Steelers getting the 3rd seed and Cinci being in the mix for 6.

Tomlin is a heck of a coach.

19. vt_dolfan

Tough isnt un winnable. Every game is going to be tough. Unwinnable would be Monday night game in NOLA.

20. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    They're all winnable. Problem is they aren't all (or most) games we should win. And that's the real problem.

RGF likes this.
  21. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I`m not saying they`re guarenteed losses, but I wouldnt lable a very tough game "winnable". A very tough game is more losable than winnable. Having said that, lets go 5-0 and shut me up. Would love it.

22. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Great freakin thread. Needed the positive laid out for me to get out of this post-crushing-loss funk. We did see some positives yesterday.

I wanna see Egnew used more in the passing game dammit. He's tall, he's caught a few passes already on big drives. Plus we've been using him as a blocker for awhile so some play-action should work well. NE has killed teams with two tight ends catching passes in the past. how about on first play of the game, we try some play action to Egnew instead of a run up the gut by Lamar Miller??? that's all i'm asking here....end rant. i'm not as x and o as many of you here, but does this seem so outlandish???

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  23. vt_dolfan

I think we are sitting in a pretty good spot relative to where we thought wed be.

This gives us a chance to put all that crap behind us.

Team knows this. Our road to the playoffs goes through NY, Buffalo, and NE.

24. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I see us beating jets and then losing to steelers.

25. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    We sit with the fewest (3) CONF losses for all AFC teams tied at 5-6. We certainly control our destiny which will be greatly improved with WIN vs. JETS...then and only then will I look at the PIT game.

padre31 likes this.
  26. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, we are still quite alive and basically have our fate in our hands...still

Basically, imo, if we cannot at least beat the Patsies once we probably don't belong in the playoffs

27. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Sad, only team in this crappy league that has not scored at least 27 pts in a game.

28. vt_dolfan

Only team in league to have only given up 1 td to a WR.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And that has been the real difference this season, in the past when we were mediocre, we'd have 5-6 AFC losses that doomed us from the wildcard

This yr, our fate is in our hands, AFC games the rest of the way, including 2 v the Jests.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd go further and say even a loss to the patsies won't doom our chances, even a split with the Jest would work fine except for we would not also control our own fate at that point

Bills game is going to be tough, have to win it.

31. NY Finatic

NY Finatic New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Queens, New York
    We couldn't gain 20 yds rushing this past Sunday, what makes you think we can run against the Jets front 4? Our ground game is non existant, no team respects it, play action does not work because of it.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I hope that cognito and pouncey had a little bit of class in their soul, we could use them for this run.