1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge game this Sunday...Pre game discussion.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Nov 19, 2013.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

This is a huge game against Carolina. Right now they are possibly the hottest team in the NFL. Man Id love to have Luke Joekel on our team. Love watching him play LB. Reminds me of Zach alot...

So..how do you all think we will approach this game? Even though we havent...lately..I still think we can shut down their run game. The rest...boy I dont know.

I think its critical for us to somehow run the ball against them. But I have a feeling they will stack 8 in the box..and come at us on almost every play. Their D scares me. Lauren probably wont get much sleep this week.

Gonna wait a few days on predictions...see what the injury report looks like.

By the way..Cam sure is a smug cocky SOB. Hes due to get a smack down..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

HULKFish and djphinfan like this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Best tackle/linebacker combo in the league IMO.

3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't have any idea how we win this game unless the Panthers' coordinators get incredibly stupid and throw the ball 50 times and Cam Newton turns it over 3-4 times. We sure aren't going to score many offensive TDs against them.

4. rookie

rookie New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Our coaches need to really develop a strong game plan to have any chance vs the Panthers, as you said they are hot at the moment. if we win, its def. a big upset.

I think our passing game can have success, but it all depends on if RT will have any time to throw the ball.

5. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Roll outs / screens/ quick slants/ throw in a few reverses....and Pray.

6. vt_dolfan

Come on Rick..dont bring it weak sauce. We can beat them. Remember how everyone cried Cincis defense was gonna kill us?

Id really like to hear your opinions on how we could...

HULKFish likes this.
  7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    While it's always good to beat a strong team.......in the scheme of things it's also the least important of the remaining games. After Carolina it's all division games and a conference game which means more in tiebreakers.

8. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    None of our games are ever a given, so this game is important.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Basically what we have been doing on offense only keep the hat on hat blocking scheme

Our DL has to win the los and ST has to make something happen, they have been quite this year and they have guys who can make plays they just have not been making them for us.

Basically shut down their running game, make Newton beat us throwing the ball

10. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I smell an opportunity for us here.

Carolina is coming off back-to-back wins in SF and last night against the Patriots. There has to be some sort of emotional letdown, I believe, especially also going the road on a short week.

IMO there's a good chance they may come out pretty flat, but we have to be sharp and ready to take advantage.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  11. vt_dolfan

I think the key is our OL. I just have a feeling that..losing both Incognito and Martin just may have been addition by subtraction.

Heres why. For the line to play as well as they did last week..they had to be able to communicate. Which means they really had to put the time in..and work together as a unit. They did that...new parts and all. I think the gained alot of confidence from that game.

Its not suprising our line played so bad early on...I think more then any other place on the team..the line has to be a cohesive unit.

We are 2-1 since losing both Martin and Cogs. If the line continues to get better as it has...it will be a very interesting final of the season.

If we could manage to sweep the Jets and beat Buffalo..we would need only one win against either Carolina, Pitt, or NE to most likely get a WC.

Which most likely puts us against the Colts or Cinci..both teams we have beaten.

MAFishFan, HULKFish and GMJohnson like this.
  12. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    With a 9-7 record the best scenario would be winning out our 4 division games as they help the most in tie-breakers. Next best scenario...especially if a certain team keeps winning is to swap Buffalo for Pittsburgh. Carolina would be the least important game to win in a 9-7 scenario.

13. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

This game is definitely just as important IMO

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  14. vt_dolfan

Omar has a article this week showing how Miami actually sits in a very good spot. If 9-7 gets you in...every team besides Miami and Jets has to win out. Our biggest threat would be Ravens if they did.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  15. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Well, the only way we can beat them IMHO is to shut down their running game, and that includes Cam running the ball. That's going to require some disciplined play from the LBs (which is why I don't hold out much hope: our LBs suck). IF we can force them to throw the ball, Cam is prone to INTs and that could be our opportunity. On the other side of the ball...well, Tannehill is going to get killed unless they roll him out. I'd let him take off and run it rather than take a sack. If I were the O-coord, I'd say "Count to three and if you haven't thrown the ball already, run."
    I'd also have some planned QB runs and some option plays.

PhinFan1968 and vt_dolfan like this.
  16. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Personally, I think we get rolled. This could be New Orleans ugly but at home.

17. vt_dolfan

Muchos gracias man....liked reading that!

18. vt_dolfan

Ok...but why? Im not saying your wrong...but what about this game has you thinking this could be the case?

Our lineplay has improved. I believe our defense CAN stop the run, if they tackle. The key is containing Cam Newton. Now..he has improved, but he is still not a great pocket QB. This is how we beat them...I think, we need to stop the run, and force him into being a pocket QB.

This was earlier in the season granted....but....when you look at how Arizona and Buffalo beat the Panthers, it was to blitz Cam. Both teams got to him 6 times.

"On Sunday, the Panthers fell to 1-3 after a 22-6 loss to the Arizona Cardinals. It was the second time this season that Carolina has allowed 6+ sacks in a game (the other instance being at Buffalo). Additionally, the offensive line allowed 21 pressures on Cam Newton.

Not surprisingly, Cam had his worst game this season and one of his worst ever, throwing three interceptions and losing a fumble. The biggest issues arose when Arizona blitzed. All three interceptions and all seven sacks came on blitzes. When the Cardinals didn’t blitz, Newton had a passer rating of 79.9, which is relatively average. Conversely, when they did bring extra rushers, his passer rating was cut nearly in half to 40.3."

http://cover32.com/panthers/2013/10/13/cam-and-panthers-struggle-agains-the-blitz/

The Niners sacked him three times....and held him to 169 yards passing, and one Int.

I dont think you can just rush four and hope that takes care of things. I think Miami has to blitz..and has to be creative with it.

19. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Carolina's defense really underwhelmed me last night. They're good, but not that good. Pats moved the ball at will and would've put up almost 30 if not for Ridley dropping the ball at the 10 and some dumba$$ penalties in scoring range on other drives. They also benefit from a rushing offense that dominates possession.

I know Carolina is statistically a good D, but look at their opponents: SEA, BUF, NYG, ARZ, MIN, STL, TB, ATL, SF. Going against these weak offenses padded their stats, imo. They can be had.

HULKFish likes this.
  20. vt_dolfan

I do think our offense has the potential to be difficult to defend....IF the line play improves.

If our line can play the way they have the last three games...and Sherman mixes things up, I really think we can put some points on the board.

21. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    If Wallace could manage to catch the ball more than he drops it and the D contains the run game we could have a good game against them. Panthers Defensive ends and D-line will be after Tannehill so he must move and get rid of the ball when under pressure.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think we have a chance and it's going to come back to the OL.

The San Diego Chargers did not have the horses to challenge our expansion level line. As bad as our line is, all they had to throw at us was Corey Liuget, Kendall Reyes, Cam Thomas, Lawrence Guy, Sean Lissemore, Tourek Williams, Jarret Johnson and Thomas Keiser. That's awful. Corey Liuget was good in 2012 but he's been struggling all year and Cam Thomas is probably their best DL. He only played 22 snaps. Jarret Johnson is not a pass rusher, never really has been. He's a stout run defender that has a talent for erasing tight ends at the line of scrimmage. But he only played 16 snaps.

The Panthers are going to throw Greg Hardy, Star Lotulelei, Kawann Short and Charles Johnson (pending injury) at our offensive line. That is so much ridiculously better than the San Diego defensive front, that the Dolphins aren't going to know what hit them. I know it seems counter-intuitive that Pouncey coming back could actually hurt us, but it's well to remember that the last time our line took the field in THIS form with Garner at LG, they were embarrassed by the Tampa front...especially Gerald McCoy. Now they're going to face Gerald McCoy caliber front line players in Lotulelei and Short.

I understand people thinking that the Dolphins counter-intuitively seem to do well against good opponents this year, but when a defensive front should have the ability to manhandle your offensive front, that anchors the result back to reality. The better team is very likely to win this game, IMO.

23. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Quit ruining my Tuesday :cry:

Starry31 likes this.
  24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm more concerned about our defensive front v the Panthers running game

Though, per PFF, Soliai has come back to life in run defense.

Way I see it, we throw short passes, it's our offense, THill has been pressured all yr so it is nothing new, the real question then becomes can our receivers make things happen in the RAC and YAC area b/c the Panthers are an excellent tackling team.

There is not likely to be a Clay 3 broken tackle 50 yd td catch and run v Carolina

Curious to see if Pouncey plays in this one, to me Garner is doing fine at Center so no need to rush him back

CWBIII likes this.
  25. vt_dolfan

I dont think anyone is under the impression that Carolina odds wont will win. But...to say we dont have a chance isnt realistic either.

If we do win...Ill be ready to hear how we were either lucky....Carolina beat themselves...or some reason as to why the win isnt indicative of our team.

How much better is Carolina's front seven vs. Cincinati's

GMJohnson likes this.
  26. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i agree it will be a tough game to win, but i will ride the "on any given sunday" phrase and hope the panthers take us lightly

27. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I know its a stretch but we may just catch them overlooking us and thinking about their next opponent just like the Bengals did.

28. vt_dolfan

I do believe, like every game this season..its gonna be close. If we can get better Oline play....really there isnt a team I would be scared to face outside of the Broncos.

A win against Carolina would give this team some hardcore confidence no doubt. I also think our defense is geeked to out play Carolina's defense. If we can get a good loud crowd on Sunday....could be a fun game.

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I wanna beat that *** too VT, like real bad, don't like that guy, make no bones about it, I mentioned in the thread last nite that we should play any and all defenses that constrict him to the pocket, where he is a pedestrian innaccurate Qb, I know that not easy considering his scrambling skills, but I think if you can contain his punk *** to the pocket, our corners can jump some routes..

This game is our season in terms of winning back the fanbase, if the coach can use that angle and we get a pissed off hyped crowd, and Sherman pulls out all the stops in terms of a moving pocket I think we have a good chance of winning this game.

It's time for our defense to play the run like their capable of, I think what's happening is Starks, Odrick and Solai are trying to penetrate too much instead of holding up blockers and letting the backers make plays..

I really believe this and I would absolutely do this if I was Coyle, but cam newton would be Dion Jordan's ***** puppet for the day..simple gameplan for the kid..protect the middle of the field, line him up there as much as possible, let him read crossing routes, screens, draws, and if that punk leaves the pocket, have him go get his *** as fast as you can..

30. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    That's another way we could win this game, help from the fans, we need them to show up and be loud and make it hard for Cam Newton.

ElNino and DolfanTom like this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Man how nice would it be for these players to see a full house..hell, they might even elevate their play at home..

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Wish it was a four o'clock game

33. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I was at Sunday's Chargers game (with a big group that came into town), and even with that paltry crowd, the place was as rockin' as could be on big third downs, and on that last drive. In fact, I gotta say I was quite impressed by the energy in the place on that last drive! Now, I would think based on this that that place full could actually provide a decent home field advantage. My cousin who lives down there and has been there in the past for sold-out games tells me as much.

And while it will never be the Orange Bowl, if we could ever fill that place, it would be a great thing for the home team, and damaging to the visitor.

This doesn't change the fact that the overall stadium needs to be improved to make the fan experience better, and allow for a more imposing home crowd .... but in the meantime, simply filling the place would be a great thing!

If you live down there, and can afford to go, even in the most inexpensive seat, I highly suggest you do so and give Cam Newton an earful!

JShady and padre31 like this.
  34. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    this isn't a 'must' win game ... it is not in either the DIV or CONF ...

of course a win is needed, as in order to make the playoffs - likely can't have more than '7' losses ....

but this game won't factor into the tie breakers for the most part .... we MUST win 4/5 AFC games left on the schedule -- THAT is the must! Do that and we are almost guaranteed to earn the 6th spot!

35. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Any word on what's going on with Pouncy ??

36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Per Chris Perkins it is day to day, he was on Joe Rose's show this am

37. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Do you mean Luke Joekel or Luke Kuechly?

38. vt_dolfan

I agree from purely a record viewpoint. But I believe it is a critical game from a team confidence viewpoint. I win against another quality opponent would be huge.

Look at our Wins this season:

Cleveland, Indy, Atlanta, Cincinnati, San Diego.

Atlanta had a much more complete team when we played them. Non of those are gimme wins. A win against Carolina would be huge.

39. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think there's a strong possibility that the Dolphins lose this game by multiple touchdowns. Very strong possibility. Their defensive line matches up too favorably against our offensive line. Their offensive line matches well against our defensive line.

Right tackle Byron Bell has had trouble in pass pro only one time this year and that was against Mario Williams, who presents a unique size/strength aspect to go along with his athletic ability. Other than that game, Bell has been fine. Cameron Wake is a different type from Mario. I'm not saying Byron is going to erase Wake but he is going to play passably against him and right now WHEN the Dolphins are winning lately it's been because Cameron Wake has come through consistently and in key moments. Travelle Wharton at LG has been playing real well too, as has Ryan Kalil. This should help prevent our defensive front from dominating the same way that their defensive front has the potential to dominate our line.

Miami's defense has yet to face a really mobile quarterback this year. The last time they faced a quarterback that can hurt the defense the way Cam Newton is able to hurt the defense was in 2012 against San Francisco late in the year. Kaepernick ran 3 times for 57 yards with a game-sealing 50-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Miami has faced some other quarterbacks who are capable of hurting defenses with their legs, but not quite the caliber of a Colin Kaepernick or Cam Newton who can create BIG plays that way, and/or touchdowns.

But even those other mobile, elusive types have hurt them. Andrew Luck has scrambeld 5 times for 43 yards against Miami. Russell Wilson 4 times for 40 yards. Jake Locker 4 times for 36 yards. Ryan Fitzpatrick 4 times for 27 yards.

The only mobile guy they kept relatively in check was Thaddeus Lewis and if you recall he came into that game with an ankle that threatened to force him to sit in favor of Jeff Tuel. I don't believe we even found out Lewis was going to play until that day.

What makes the issue so scary is Miami's open field tackling. Miami has a few times this year gotten into situations facing ball carriers with direction change ability and open field elusiveness that approaches guys like Russell Wilson and Cam Newton, and they've mostly piled up the missed tackle sky high against those players. They missed 6 tackles on Jacquizz Rodgers and 8 tackles on Giovani Bernard. Cam Newton has the ability to make people miss in the backfield and in the open field a lot like those two even though he's so much bigger than them.

I just think in general our strength as a team is going to be curbed by what is actually a good OL unit, whereas they have two strengths that will run full-force into areas of our team that are weaknesses.

The Panthers are a team that beat the Giants 38-0, beat the Falcons 34-10, the Buccaneers 31-13, the Rams 30-15 and the Vikings 35-10. I think the game against Miami is going to fit right in with that group. Just being honest.

ssmiami likes this.
  40. vt_dolfan

Sorry Kuechly....not sure why I has Joekel on my brain...