1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is all this talk about Jason taylor as the Fins new GM?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PlanB, Nov 13, 2013.

1. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Really? Great player , great character, love him like anyone else.........but REALLY? What has he done to show he knows anything about scouting and picking talent? This reeks of Ross's "celebrity owner mentality". We need so much more then a pretty face in that chair. We deserve So much more in that chair. Is he going to ask his agent about Tips on contracts? Sickening. Hope its just a false rumor. BUT......if it does happen Zack Thomas better be on the staff as well!!

Mainge and TooGoodForDez like this.
  2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i...dont think GM was ever discussed?

NJFINSFAN1, PhinGeneral and Fin D like this.
  3. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    John Elway Says "Hi"

Boomer, PapaC, first&goal and 4 others like this.
  4. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Omar has brought it up several times and now confirmed it as his leading pick for the Job on his X's and OMAR show..........

5. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    An ex-Jet? Never!

mroz, Tone_E, PlanB and 1 other person like this.
  6. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    John Elway didn't walk into the job 2 yrs out of retirement. He earned it and is doing a pretty damn fine job for a horse toothed jack ***.

7. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I agree with the OP, but would prefer JT over Ireland.

muscle979 and Da 'Fins like this.
  8. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Yeah but Elway was co owner of an AFL team and was on the executice commitee of the AFL, so he had some experiance going into the Broncos job. JTs inexperiance would concern me greatly.

PlanB likes this.
  9. Ouch that one stung a little

fins1 likes this.
  10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    yes!!

[​IMG]

Da 'Fins likes this.
  11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Elway's resume has two words on it.

"Manning" and "Peyton".

RedPitSea and Hiruma78 like this.
  12. Playing devils advocate more than endorsing this but,

Dawn is there managing the cap so he would not have to structure contracts alone. He showed a certain amount of business savy in how he negotiated his own career, so theres that from the financial aspect of it.

1. He certainly may be a good talent scout as far as evaluating guys goes.
    2. He has broken down enough game film throughout his career to be able to understand what type of players a coach is looking for.
    3. He is a future HOFer so he at least understands the mental determination and work ethic that goes into working toward that achievement.
    4. The guy is charismatic and his smooth personality along with his prestigious credentials may be an asset for luring talent to Miami.

Ireland has been involved with the NFL since he was 8yrs old and with all his experience he does not appear to be anything special. JT may have that "it" factor that some got and some don't.

I do agree that if it happens it does appear on the surface as being a text book Ross move. Trying to mask defiances with flash and glitz.

Steve-Mo and finfansince72 like this.
  13. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Ian P.......mash potatos!!

Paul 13 likes this.
  14. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Um, what exactly did John Elway do to earn it? Elway had not worked in the NFL since his retirement. He had no experience in the personnel department, scouting, or player contracts prior to becoming the Denver Broncos.

15. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    JT would be an asset to the front office of this team IMO. Now as GM in charge of drafting, signing players? I dont know but honestly its a move that could work out. I'd like to see him involved with the franchise on some level for sure, not sure about GM.

16. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    While he did that, he still had no experience with player evaluation or player contracts prior to joining the Broncos. Plus, I'll be honest with you. Even though John Elway is a Stanford grad, Jason Taylor strikes me as being more cerebral than John Elway. He strikes me as being more cerebral than Dan Marino. Whatever he would have to learn on the job wouldn't take him long to do. Plus, the majority of the scouting work that is done is done by the scouting staff.

17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Also, I haven't seen anything that suggests that this is a rumor.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  18. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

He also owned multiple successful car dealerships , so he had a solid business background , but that isn't to say 99 would not have the ability to succeed as well. Surrounding yourself with people that are really great at what you need them to do works wonders , as long as you understand the big picture. Don't doubt JT on that.

KB21 likes this.
  19. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    JT is one of the smartest and most well spoken players I've come across.

20. dolfan22

He also really fits what works as the face of a franchise. Not to get to into it , but for a lot of reasons JT works .

21. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I read you. The look on his face the other night was telling.

Considering the black eyes this organization has suffered under Ireland's lack of leadership that have also given the NFL a black eye, the league would probably welcome the Dolphins bringing in Former NFL Man of the Year Award winner as the face of the franchise.

dolfan22 likes this.
  22. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Where else has this been mentioned?

maynard likes this.
  23. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Just for clarification purposes, Omar was talking about Jason Taylor more in a John Elway type role rather than the GM position. I think people forget that John Elway worked two years with Brian Xanders before he assumed control of the personnel this past season, and even now, he has Tom Heckert Jr. as his personnel head.

Paul 13, PhinGeneral and dolfan22 like this.
  24. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    What about "T" BOW " ? :wink2:

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He got rid of him.

That is a plus!

26. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Great for PR and TV.........Bad for wins , playoffs , and championships.

27. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    You want Jason Taylor to dump Tannehill? And he is probably jealous of Dion Jordon. Stole his look.........

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    No, I want him to sign Tebow and then cut him. Then sign him again, saying, "Just kidding." Then cut him again.

MrClean likes this.
  29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

John Elway or Gary Busey, and how do you know for sure which is which?

Finfangirl, MikeHoncho and djphinfan like this.
  30. dolfan22

We don't know that , and even if the second part was accurate it wouldn't be any worse than what we have been experiencing.

31. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That draft pick wasn't Elway's doing.

32. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Then what exactly does Elway do that is better, or exactly how is he more suited for this kind of role than Jason Taylor? I love it when people make blanket statements like that and can't back it up with any facts.

Boomer and cuchulainn like this.
  33. dolfan22

This isn't or shouldn't be a major reason but let's be upfront here , you could hardly select a more fan friendly , racially acceptable , cross generational person to be the "new" face of this team . This isn't to say he doesn't have the requisite skills and talents but the other aspect sure would not hurt.

Wonder how much fire he may have for doing this , the look last game was a positive for me . Genuinely pissed off.

Paul 13 likes this.
  34. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Not only that, but you would have a hard time finding a player who doesn't have any black marks on his record. Think about it. Jason Taylor, as far as I know, has never been involved in any scandal. He was never suspended due to use of drugs or PEDs. He has never been arrested for off the field behavior or hurt his team with off the field behavior. No DUI's on his record as far as I know. He was a locker room leader and never a cancer in the locker room. If you think about it, he embodies everything this team wants to set as far as the culture in their locker room.

Phinfanjt likes this.
  35. dolfan22

Somewhat related , the Buffalo Sabres just fired their GM and coach and appointed Pat Lafontaine President of Hockey Operations and he was a former player .

The Sabres have been awful , and the fan base is enraged , for a lot of legitimate reasons , a lot of parallels that I see.

36. dolfan22

That he was at the game is a positive , that he looked disgusted and pissed off after the loss is even more a positive. I hope he has the fire and passion and actually approaches Ross with himself as part of the answer.

37. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    And I'd own a jersey of the new GM!

Dol-Fan Dupree and dolfan22 like this.
  38. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

LMAO.

Teeeeeeeeebow. Whoooooaaah.

They won the friggin division with that dude at QB. Kinda tells you how bad the other teams in the AFCW are.

39. dolfan22

Were.

40. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    In baseball, we have seen players go from no coaching experience to being managers and doing well. Mike Matheny is a good example. Robin Ventura. Mike Redmond.