1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Philbin will lose his job this season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CitizenSnips, Nov 13, 2013.

1. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I was a strong supporter of Philbin before the season began. I felt he was the tough but fair coach we were looking for. Throughout the season though, his stubbornness on several issues has now led to struggles that could have been avoided.

1. Sherman. Mike Shermans playcalling has been either alright or awful. The stretch play against the saints on the opening drive? The stretch play that just got us a safety against the bucs? Lack of running game? Can't get wallace the ball? Whatever you specifically hate Sherman for, it doesn't matter. What matters is that Philbin has not taken control of the situation. No he doesn't need to call the plays himself, but he could put Sherman on a leash. I remember when Saban forced Linehan to start calling the plays from the sidelines and then Linehans offense started taking off. THAT's what we need. (needed, i should say, the damage is done IMO).

2. Coyle. Our first 3 draft picks were defensive players. Dion Jordan, Jamar Taylor, and Will Davis. Coyle, however, still plays Trusnik and Vernon over Jordan 90% of the time. Jordan has showed flashes in his very little playing time. So much so that it's downright baffling. As a fan, I simply cannot understand the logic. And this week Coyle going to the media and saying "Dion's game is not against the run." Are you ****ing kidding me guy? Your defense just gave up 170+ yards to a 3rd and 4th rb. How bad could Dion be against the run? And why oh why am I still seeign RJ Stanford when we drafted Jamar Taylor and Will Davis??? You mean to tell me that these two aren't good enough to be the god damn 4th CB on the field?! I simply don't believe that. It's one thing to be set in your ways IF YOUR WAYS ARE WORKING. They aren't. This goes for both Sherman and Coyle. They both do things their way, they don't adapt or try new things, and it leads to failure every time. And that, ultimately, is Philbins fault. He's not changing things. Hes not yelling at them or forcing them to change. He's letting them do things their way and it's hurting the team now. Maybe that's how he liked it when he was OC in Green Bay, but again, if it isn't working then you have problems...

3. The oline. This is oline is terrible and the talent portion of that is entirely on Ireland. That said, our lack of creativity in fixing the problem has been just as bad. It took two colossally bad performances by Clabo for a changeup to happen and had it not been for Ross basically telling Ireland to trade for mckinnie, who knows if this oline would have changed at all? Yeatman, Dallas Thomas (hey look, another rookie who never plays), Watkins? I know these guys are probably terrible too, but TRY. TRY, PHILBIN, TRY! Try Jerry at Tackle, try thomas at guard, try watkins, try yeatman, ****ing try! If you're going to striek out, at least strike out swinging geez

It's like the entire coaching staff made a pact before the season saying "We're going to win this way, or lose our jobs trying" and they all shook on it and refused to change. I'm highly frustrated and deeply disappointed. I wish we were terrible, it'd make it easier to just scoff and say "eh, we're a terrible team and we weren't meant to win much." But it's not true. We're a talented team. We have a young QB whose, IMO, holding his own quite well. Defense has a lot of good players on it. I'm beginning to see the problem is entirely coaching. im tired of being outcoached.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How about the fact that Ross hired a committee to do his job.

3. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    That is a HUGE indictment right there alone.

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He should lose his job, but I think it's hard to be convinced at this point. I'm hoping that the Bucs game was a pretty big shovelful of dirt.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I have no faith that anything changes. I really think this coaching staff is willing to go down with the ship as far as their line of thinking is concerned.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'll be sure to bump this thread during the offseason. It'll be good for a laugh.

smahtaz likes this.
  7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Should all of the 4-5 head coaches be fired? How about 5-5, where's the cut off?

8. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    They are failing. They continue to fail rather than try new things. That's the Wannstedt mentality. We don't need Wannstedt II. At least you could sympathize with Cameron, although he had no clue. There's a reason why Saban took a good look at how this franchise was set up and fled.

9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Are you okay with what your seeing? Surely the lack of flexibility concerns you? Shermans been pulling the same stuff all season and nothings changing. Maybe this loss to the bucs was the wake up call, I don't know, but Philbin seems strangely okay with what hes seeing.

joenhre likes this.
  10. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Not all 4-5 coaches are 1-5 in their last 6 games and in the middle of an embarrassing and low point in there franchises history...under his watch.

joenhre, Bpk and Serpico Jones like this.
  11. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Forgot to add Wallace and Tannehill?

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There's evidence of virtually every single aspect of coaching being done poorly in this team. They frequently look unprepared, unmotivated, are unable to handle adversary, have consistently make huge mistakes and fold in key situations, have a poisonous locker-room, and they have underachieved relative to their talents.

There's literally nothing to recommend Philbin and Co. on at this point.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends on the outcome of the next 3-4 games.

Typical Dolphins: we win one of the next 4, probably against the Jest

Hopeful Dolphins: we win 3 of the next 4 and December football matters

Suspect Philbin is by nature a Coach who delegates, he trusts his unit coaches and so on, if they fail him it then falls back on him as HE choose them to lead their squads.

This is why I think the Fireland Banner is hogwash, we are still in the hunt for the playoffs, the 2013 season is still ongoing.

14. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    But other than that..you gotta agree..he's been great...

Bpk likes this.
  15. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    guys..how long have you been Dolphin Fans?

You know what's coming. They are gonna win 3 in a row.

Then get ready for an epic collapse.

it's WHAT WE DO.

16. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I think Ross hired a committee because things are going to get ugly. I'm thinking blackmail.

17. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Nick had total control of how the organization worked. That is not the reason he left.

PhinGeneral likes this.
  18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I don't disagree with any of that.

But I do try to have some perspective, especially when it comes to long term decision making. They're in year 2 and it's been ugly as of late but it's not time to hit the panic button IMO.

19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    You're missing the point. The best coaches are always the ones who just left and the ones who are coming in next.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sect, u know better, first they have to be eliminated from any serious playoff contention THEN we win 3 gms that **** our draft position..voila!

We pick 16th in the draft again.

8-8/7-9

Typical Dolphins..not good enough to win consistently, just good enough to not draft with high picks to build a better roster.

Oh consider the irony, we let Long walk, pass on taking a LT at #3..then draft a guy who plays 9 snaps in a loss to an 0-8 team..to quote Lombardi..."what the hell is going on out there!!!"

RoninFin4 likes this.
  21. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I don't think hiring a head coach with the mindset to give him 1-2 years to accomplish his goals of producing a winning team is reasonable. What coach would come work for you if he knew the first year he started to put things together with new players and staff then in year 2 at the midway point if he wasn't above .500 there would be conversation of him being replaced? It's a bad plan.

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

According to 90% of the forum Philbin was a helluva coach 4-5 weeks ago. Now all of a sudden he sucks?

That's called playing the result.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    B/c all that matters in the NFL IS results.

24. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    The problem this coaching staff (and Ireland) are facing that this was the year the problems were supposed to be tweaked and things working--money was spent, winning tweaks made. They failed at that, they have already failed, Ireland for the second and third time. Once you fail, the trust is structurally shaken. You fail 3 times like Ireland, it's gone.

dolfan22 likes this.
  25. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

RIP ... JUST WIN BABY ... like him or loathe him , Al Davis had this right.

padre31 likes this.
  26. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Exactamundo, this is some Twilight-Zone stuff people are talking.

27. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Coughlin won 2 super bowls and theres talks of firing him. Nature of the biz. What have you done for me lately...

I should preface by saying i don't think the rest of the season is gonna go well. Personally i see us losing a lot more games. Happy to be wrong, of course.

28. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    The cut off is if the new GM decides to turf him, that's the only opinion that matters.

I don't mind Philbin, I think his staff is garbage and I don't think he has the fortitude to fire the people who should be fired.

CitizenSnips likes this.
  29. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I thought you were going to say because fans have the luxury of calling for people's heads w/o any fear of the repercussions.

30. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Wait, who's the new GM?

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Salary Cap killed him tho, the era of instant results is not really possible any more.

Consider the reason why divisional winners and playoff teams have such a huge turnover yr to yr, b/c good teams remain good, the teams that took advantage of weak schedules then play those consistently good teams the next yr and get their butts kicked.

Hitting on draft picks, developing a Qb, are the new keys to long term consistent winning.

In the meantime though, you simply must have guys with their heads in the gm, this is where Philbin is failing...to many plays that can't happen are happening.

THAT is coaching

Wally Buono GOT that to a "T", he would move guys out in a moment, coaches, whomever, you perform or you are sat down or cut ASAP

32. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    my thoughts exactly. It's not Philbin, but its his fault all the same.

Bpk likes this.
  33. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Of course we are playing the result, sports is a results business.

IF he gets credit for the team playing well, he gets the blame if they are playing poorly.

34. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I forgot, you don't think Jeff Ireland should be fired.

35. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I don't think Jeff Ireland WILL be fired. Very different.

36. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Don't disagree with your points that you listed , but that still points to just win baby . How you arrive at that changes as the game and rules change , but as you stated earlier it's all about winning. MIAMI hasn't done that enough , bottom line , add to that the mess we keep developing for ourselves , sayonara baby .

37. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Then Steve Ross best be ready for 30,000+ empty seat, every game. This has now reached an economic level. Ross, in the end is about money. He had surrounded himself with people now (Taylor, Shula, Dungy, Marino etc) who don't have a dog in the Ireland fight. They will be objective when talking to Ross. The only people in the organization supporting Ireland are his staff (I assume) and, that's about it. Ross has Aponte (who's head should also be on a pike, right beside Ireland's) whispering sweet nothings into Ross' ears, firing Ireland whenever she can.

Unless this team runs off 6 - 7 wins over the balance of this season, pushing into the playoffs, he's a goner.

joenhre likes this.
  38. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    You can beat a dead horse but it's not gonna ever ride again.. Philbin, sure, Ireland sure, sherm, coyle, you name a person on this staff and there's a reason to fire him.. The major problem with this team is we brought in cancer into this locker room.. There is no leadership at all, nobody is on the sideline getting the team ready... This team seems content with jes getting paid... Wallace should be pissed off right now but he seems content... Never bring in a group of player with fat wallets.. There no more drive...Luke kuechly isn't content cuz he's poor.. Elliberby is a fat rat with a ring... Ultimately it's on joe to motivate these guys.. This offseason we need players who are hungry, no one on this team is hungry... Guys playing grab *** in the locker room, coaches refusing to pull a player cuz he's rich... The season isn't over but I hope (as a long time diehard dolphin born and raised in ft pierce fla) we go 6-10....

39. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    He's a goner even if this team win's 7 games over the balance of the season.

40. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think if you look at the results for the team thus far they appear to be playing to the level of their competition. The first half vs New England was probably the best football we've played since Philbin got here. The first half vs Tampa might have been the worst. We beat Cleveland and Indy on the road then lose to Baltimore and Buffalo at home. We beat Cincy on a short week then lose to Tampa after a long break.

That wreaks of players who get up for "big" games while taking lesser opponents lightly and not coming ready to play. Some people will put that on coaching but that's not really a coaching issue IMO b/c coaches stress the importance of EVERY opponent. You definitely can't put it on the talent level (GM) b/c we're beating good teams and losing to bad ones.

At some point you have to blame the guys who are actually on the field.

dullfandan likes this.