1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think we'd win more with a new coaching staff?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Choose:

A) We could win more even with an interim head coach and new co ordinators if we ditched Philbin, Sherman and possibly Coyle mid season

B) We will win more games next year with new coaches, but need to wait until the offseason

C) Coaching staff is fine. Keep them.

D) I would only replace ___________. The other coaches are fine.

If we lose next week I go with A. If we win, I probably go with B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

unifiedtheory likes this.
  2. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    B.

Ride them out, cleaning house now does nothing. The day the season ends Ireland should be fired, let him twist in the wind for a bit. Have candidates in mind and start interviews IMMEDIATELY. Get a front office structure in place quickly, let them decide on the staff.

Personally, I'd fire everyone the day the season ends, right down to the secretaries. Have a haz-mat team go into the offices and clean it within an inch of it's life, get the stink out. Hire a General Manager and let him rebuild the organization from the ground up. The team has talent, but it's very flawed.

What I am most afraid of is Ross' apparent love affair with Philbin. I'm terrified he is going to give GM candidates the "keep Philbin" ultimatum and that will effect our GM choices. If we get a new GM but Philbin stays then that means the entire staff stays, that would be a disaster. I think Sherman, Coyle, Turner and Taylor should all be fired

Aquafin and LBsFinest like this.
  3. The problem with your question that makes it impossible (at least for me) to answer is that we do not know who we would be replacing them with.

I can not say I would fire anyone over "the mess in Miami" (as the media has an affinity to call it) unless the investigation uncovers that Martin's accusation that he was provoked into quitting and someone from the staff was a contributing participant.

Starting with owner: I have been trying to be patient and reserve my criticisms of him. Homerism and wishful thinking has been clouding my judgment and chalking up his missteps as growing pains by a rookie owner who is going through OTJ. This latest move by him has now soured my opinion of him to the point that I am ready to say that he is not cut out to be a team owner.

He has national attention on him and his team and he feeds them with a bunch of high profile names, tells them after they look at it and make their recommendations, he will make his decision. He basical told everyone that he would get back to us on an answer but while we wait here some flashy names to distract yourselves with.... Color me as being unimpressed. I expected to see more than that from him. He laid out no expectation of what his standards are and what sort of violation would exceed his tolerance. He gave no outline of what his policy is for his employees. He has used up his free passes with me.

Jeff Ireland: I'm not a hater of him nor am I a cheerleader for him. When they fired Sporano I felt they should of replaced the GM too. He did not do a good enough job to justify not starting off with a clean slate. New GM and a new HC. He has done nothing to change that opinion. I would not fire him over Martin cracking under the stress of being in the NFL but I would of not given him an extension and at the very least been quietly shopping ar ound for a better GM. If he gets fired over this IMO it will be the right thing to happen for the wrong reason. Hopefully somebody does their homework and finds a better GM.

Philbin: He does not deserve to lose his job over Martin. I have no problem with replacing him for being a lame HC. I have not been impressed with the product he puts out on the field each week. I would leave his fate up to my new GM

Sherman: I will not lose sleep either way over him. Team has a lot of limitations on offense that hinder his ability but he also has failed to scheme around them to mask those problems. We could do better and we can do worse with somebody else running offense.

Bpk likes this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Definitely a big "NO" to answer A. You're not going to be able to hire anyone mid-season who will be any better than what we have now. Replacement for the sake of replacement is a really bad way to run a business/team. The exception being unless you have a star in the making in your ranks that can step up to the opportunity, which I haven't really seen.

I'd choose either B or D. If we go the inevitable route of firing Ireland, you have to leave open the chance for the new GM to hire his own coach. Maybe he's okay with Philbin. The only major issue I have with Philbin is his personality. He's certainly not someone who's going to light a spark in our team via motivation. I've seen worse than Philbin, but he's definitely lacking in that category.

I'm open to D as well - if you bring in a GM from somewhere like GB, someone who is likely to used to the type of personnel that Philbin will need to succeed.

Bpk and PhinGeneral like this.
  5. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I think Turner and Coyle need to go for sure. Probably Sherman.

I don't think any team can win when your OL is this bad. You don't have to have the best OL but you can't have the worst. It impacts everything. It makes your run game ineffective and essentially a 1 dimensional offense. It also means that your pass pro will fail in that one dimensional offense. Part of that falls on the guy who is directly responsible for coaching these guys(Turner) and the guy bringing in the talent(Ireland).

This Defense is way too talented to be this bad. Maybe the wheeler and Ellerbe moves have hurt this defense on many levels. Our blitzes seem predictable and easy to pick up. Jones is underperforming, could be Jones, could be Coyle. Bottom line is this defense should be a top 10 defense, maybe a top 5 defense.

I'm not sure if I want to blame this offensive mess on Sherman. On one hand, his playcalling is baffling at times. On the other hand, what can you do when your OL can't run block and they can't pass protect?

6. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I agree with Ohio. B and D are the most satisfactory options, IMO.

There's absolutely no way you can replace a head coach and his coordinators mid-season. That's just too much change and would likely result in the season being tanked and a whole lot of ill will amongst the players who would be putting their bodies on the line for basically nothing.

7. Zounds

Zounds New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I'm fine with Philbin staying for another year as long as he dismisses Sherman, which seems unlikely. I also think OL coach Jim Turner needs to hit the road, along with QB coach Zac Taylor, who has no business being in the NFL.

I think Coyle has been ok considering what he has to work with - a bad LB unit and poor safety play, and injuries at the CB position. My biggest issue with him is that his defenses always start slow, but he does adapt and I'm fine with him staying one more year as well.

8. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    First, let me address the question of the thread. Yes, I think this team would win more with a different/better coaching staff. However, those wins would be limited simply because of the talent level on this team and the way this roster is structured. I mean, we are probably talking about 1-2 wins difference simply because I think a different staff may utilize the talent we do have better than this one. However, poor roster management has capped this team's ability to win.

Second, if Ross ends up keeping Joe Philbin, I don't think he will go to GM candidates with an ultimatum. Rather, I think Joe Philbin will actually have a hand in hiring the next GM. That is only if Ross ends up keeping Joe Philbin. I do believe that Stephen Ross has finally surrounded himself with the right people to help him make a decision, and if that group that has Nat Moore and Jason Taylor a part of it suggests that he make sweeping changes, then I think sweeping changes will come.

Bpk likes this.
  9. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    We been out coached a lot this season so yes.

Bpk likes this.
  10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

My issue with keeping this staff the rest of the season is, what is the potential cost to us?

- If Sherman continues calling poor games, refusing to throw to running backs, running plays with little chance of success (see second stuffed run from end zone vs Bucs) then it puts Tannehill behind the eight ball consistently. Does it damage Tannehill to consistently be in 3 and outs, 3rd and longs, and also getting teed off on by Dlinemen because we are in 3rd and long or are predictable. Sherman could literally damage our potential franchise QB mentally and physically

- Will the wrong players get playing time, costing young players a chance to develop. Specifically, will players like Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, Dion Jordan, Jelani Jenkins, Dion Sims, and others see minimal snaps so players like Nolan Carroll, Jason Trusnik, Daniel Thomas, etc can be on the field? If this staff is gone at year's end, why not do it sooner and start developing those players. See what you've got. Heck, has Gillislee even touched the field? Not that he is any better than Daniel Thomas... but the point is, how would we know if he WAS?

11. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think you can make a change, but not 3. These players have learned and have been drilled in specific systems for two years now. Changing horses in mid-stream on such a major level has the potential to cause havoc.

I think you're also overstating the issues with Sherman. I'd certainly love to get rid of him also, but you could bring a Chip Kelly in and the team is still going to be greatly limited behind that offensive line. As for the players not getting playing time, they may not deserve it yet. I don't have a big problem with Philbin's distrust of rookies. It's similar to the system of development they have in places like Green Bay which has worked there. Sure, I'd like to see Jordan get more snaps, but I'm inclined to think his game (and body) still needs work.

12. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I think the Dolphins main issue the last 10 years or so has been coaching.

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    C.

On what planet do 2nd year HCs get fired for being 4-5 and one game out of the playoff hunt?

Philbin is going nowhere.

Ireland's not getting fired, either.

Sorry 2 tell ya.

14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    B.

my concerns for Philbin are his coordinators. Sherman is stubborn as a mule and Coyle seems detached from reality. The bigger problem is Philbin seems okay with it.

Bpk likes this.
  15. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    No doubt.

there would be better Oline play, better scoring, better starters, better rotation, better defensive schemes and coverage, and consequently more wins.

16. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    you better hope to God that these buttwipes get fired the dolphins are a disgrace and if you cant see that then you must be a jets fan.

who in hell wants these horrible coaches and a disgrace of a gm to stay ? I m sick of the bull **** embarrassment that these clowns have brought. we are not winning more then 6 games and Philbin and Sherman both sux the sweat of a dead man's groin . if Ross keeps all of them guys and more crap comes out Ross will be forced to sell the team because he is so out of tune so a house cleaning s a must or the dolphins need to be contracted or disbanded and resouces shifted into the Tampa Bay and Jacksonville clubs.