1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Mark Schlereth comments on Martin situation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Nov 10, 2013.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    “The NFL locker room is the most politically incorrect place on the planet, and knowing the Neanderthal nature of some NFL players, if investigators are using real-world sensibilities, and you know that you did things that crossed the line, atrocious things, or that you didn’t stand up, or say “Alright guys, that’s enough,’’ when others were crossing a line, then you were part of it, and it would be very hard to focus on your job right now.’’

“There are unwritten rules about locker room behavior,’’ he said. “You learn what the lines are. You figure out that certain guys can dish and take it, others can’t. The team leaders and management have to step in if the lines get crossed, and if they don’t, they are either complicit or incompetent. The Dolphins coaches and general manager have a lot of questions to answer.’’

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/...-richie-incognito-jonathan.html#storylink=cpy

----------------------------------

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If the guy in question is purposely hiding what he thinks, by pretending to be 100% ok witht he behavior and even participated in it, then that person is the only one responsible and it would be impossible for the players and coaches to know any different.

People are acting like Martin just sat their and sulked and flinched every time someone approached him. He didn't. He pretended everything was alright. He laughed and joked right along with Cogs.

Da 'Fins, DHPVW, MAFishFan and 10 others like this.
  3. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    How do you know that ? Every article I have read says mostly the opposite , that Martin was aloof and not really part of the crowd .

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He's one of the *******s who drove this story, I do not respect his opinion nor his pov.

xphinfanx likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Because you trust the articles instead of the players. They all said that martin was different (hence the Big Weirdo moniker) but that by all appearances he enjoyed Incognito's friendship. He joined in on pranks, passed around the VMs to laugh at, always hung out with Cogs in and out of the locker room.

Watch the player interviews again, you'll see guys that are hurt by all this because they were genuinely blindsided.

6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    he was part if the pranks (like the one on garner). the dude was in on culture...until one day he suddenly wasnt

mbsinmisc, xphinfanx, joenhre and 2 others like this.
  7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    You mean when they took the job that he was entitled to?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

darefugee likes this.
  8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I honestly think the majority driving this non-sense have either:
    1) never had experience in competitive sports coaching or playing in an adult environment
    2) never served the military or participated in a fraternity or brotherhood
    3) or are simply ingenuous & self-aggrandizing, looking to step up at the expense of others regardless of veracity or consequence

maybe, all of the above? I find it infuriating to hear so many irresponsible, libelous insinuations stated as fact knowing that none of these individuals will ever be held accountable for their words.

*ultimately, the only solution to save the franchise will be to win games.

9. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    [​IMG]

steveincolorado, MikeHoncho and Bpk like this.
  10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Schlereth's statement is another example of what I've said from he start.

The NFL culture and football itself is whats really on trial here, and where the focus will end up.

Phyl and steveincolorado like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think people have a hard time with the concept that no one may be at fault for the "bullying".

- If Cogs acted with no malice in his heart towards Martin then he did nothing wrong.
    - If martin truly felt bullied and was too scared to follow protocols then he did nothing wrong.

What we should do is filter both of those things through the CORRECT information we have.

12. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

To be fair, it's a long way down from their high horse.

GMJohnson likes this.
  13. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007

GMJohnson and LI phinfan like this.
  14. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Guilty as charged but alas nobody has charged Martin as being part of and openly participating in this 'culture'. Yet? Martin to me is a hypocrite if he joined in the very actions his lawyer is speaking out on. Pure joke. Money money money...kerchiiing!

15. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Mark brings up some interesting points.

16. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Even worse. Players, who had previous locker room problems, criticizing the dolphins. All while sitting high and mighty from there studio chairs! Keyshawn? Cris Carter? Killing the phins about a bad locker room? do they think that there past problems are totally forgotten? Ray Lewis? Is he serious? I , by no means give this team a pass, FAR,FAR from it. but these players throwing BOULDERS from their glass skyscrapers...laughable.

Aquafin, cuchulainn and the 23rd like this.
  17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Exactly! When Tannehill was asked why it wasnt stopped....he said

"I didn't know there was something to be stopped! I thought they were friends! If we knew something was wrong, yeah we would've corrected it"

I mean what else is there to say?!?! It's a friggin joke. Martin is attached to the hip with this guy, and they are supposed to investigate, step in, ask questions and dig deep into this relationship?! They are not Oprah! They are adults, professionals, with a high stress job to get done. They can't be Martins mind-reading babysitter.

GMJohnson and Fin D like this.
  18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Its funny if you watch closely, Cris Carter disses the Dolphins and then right before the break, wipes the leftovers of his pre-show 8 ball off his nostril.

Hypocrisy at its most.

19. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    So this will be on Oprah next year?
    Richie vs Jon.....lol

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    "bullying" in the NFL is a non-issue, totally absurd. what honestly got my goat was the open & ugly accusations of racism.

serious things for serious people:
    1) NFL was "officially" unhappy with rape accusations against Roethlisberger.
    2) anger issues & violence? what about Aaron Hernandez or Hall of Famer, Ray Lewis?
    3) Incognito is no racist & neither is Warren Saap.

want a simple, serious & honest perspective on the game?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doIKJl29BSU

Warren has always been known to turn a phrase or two in his day but has always been a favorite of mine. the guy is simply all about football & winning. would be a wonderful world if everyone were a Zach Thomas or Jason Taylor, but the NFL is composed of a variety of characters that play the game. what would it be without the Warren Saaps & Incognitos that play the game?

how many of us would survive under the microscope?
    how easy it is to twist the truth creating a trap for fools...

MikeHoncho and MrClean like this.
  21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    you don't have to continue watching football if it offends your sensibilities or personal morality.

having said that, you don't have the right to disallow other people from enjoying the game or impose your personal standards on others. this is not a jihad or crusade, it is a sport.

every monkey on his limb. I like soccer, boxing, football & ice hockey, but would not impose these sports on anyone. different strokes for different folks.

MrClean likes this.
  22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's not true, at least not the whole truth. There were several reports that Martin participated in the pranks himself. I'm thinking of the standing up from the table prank which was done on everybody including Philbin and by Martin himself.

23. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Not following your train of thought in your comments here... That pic was aimed at Jon Martin and simply states that our fates are by and large in our own hands...

MikeHoncho and MrClean like this.
  24. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

I still don't believe this a case of bullying. when all is said and done I think this is gonna be a case of JM buckling under the pressure and not performing well. he wqas moved and probably thought of it as a demotion. I think he just needed a break so he left. then Mom and Dad got involved...

25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I totally agree. Compared to nasty bastards like Ben Davidson and Conrad Dobler, Richie is a boy scout.

26. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Dude, everyone knows it's in mommy and daddy's hands. :shifty:

27. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    When I was playing high school football my head coach gave me an autographed picture of Conrad Dobler, with a note to me from him. He did that to light a fire under me, to get me to get a mean streak. I will never forget that picture.

28. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I agree wholeheartedly (who's he babe in the photo), Martin was aloof.
    Amen.

29. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    But it doesn't support the lynch mob so it's not a good story line and you can't keep hate and discontent with out it.

SICK likes this.
  30. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Schlereth was asked if he saw hazing/bullying/racists remarks of any sorts in the two locker rooms he was in he said no he had not. Yes mark i am sure Rominoski was a model player. He, as alot of retired players who are ripping Miami seem like they dont wanna admit that they themselves experianced it or participated in it and are no delying any involvment in it, because by admitting that this has been the culture for 100 years is admitting the guilt of carrying it forward to the next generation of players.

31. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

... and then you went out and bit a guy's finger. :shifty:

http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/ESQ1100-NOV_WIL

32. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I agree but I cant help but to think our problems started ever since we hired Ireland and Sparano and this scandal is destroying the morale of the players and fanbase . this is exactly why I want the entire front office fired. we need to go hire a big time coach pure and simple so we can put this fiasco behine us. the media does have a sense of enjoyment in our demise and that is another reason for us to clean house.

the media s so Patriots oriented it makes me sick .

Da 'Fins likes this.
  33. jimmymilani

jimmymilani New Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Long Island
    There is obviously a ton of *****assness going on by both Jonathon Martin and others criticizing about Cogs "bullying". If you can't understand that there is a much different culture in football, than not only have you never played football in your life, but competitive sports. You can't compare things that happen on the field or in the locker room as if they were happening in an office. NFL players aren't normal humans, let alone normal athletes, they can not be given the same rulebook as Johnny in 8th grade picking on the fat kid... How in the world do explain to your kids if your'e Jonathon Martin how you had to retire from the league at 24 years old because other players couldn't trust your ******** to tattle if someone picked on the shoes he was wearing that day.

34. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I do think there is too much PC on this (though I also find Incognito very offensive). But, this also is not acceptable behavior/language in the military and could incur a lawsuit (that would be won). All hazing is outlawed in the military.

That said, it will likely have to be demonstrated that Martin tried to contact management or players about the situation (especially if he were complicit in other areas of hazing/etc.).