1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting story

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Wow. Hit in the eye with a sock full of coins?

Worse than the sock party in Full Metal Jacket.

2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

And....now Mike Ditka must be as horrible as Jeff Ireland is...right?

Didnt he say he should have "Popped those guys in the mouth?"

Mcduffie81, Bpk and sports24/7 like this.
  3. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    "Kicks and punches were one thing, but one teammate (linebacker Andre Royal) hit him in the face with a sock full of coins, crushing his eye socket and nearly costing him his eye".
    WTH!!! I'm lost for words.

4. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    It's one thing to not see the MArtin issue as bullying/hazing, but you can't seriously be defending what the Saints did in that story, are you?

And Ditka is worse than Jeff Ireland, telling the guy to punch them after he nearly loses an eye.

5. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    But somehow this type of behavior is considered normal in the NFL, and if the guy hadn't been hit in the eye everyone would probably be saying the same thing: "Just toughen up, its the NFL!"

It's like fans still expect these guys to be expendable gladiators instead of paid athletes.

Bpk and MikeHoncho like this.
  6. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    That's pretty awful

7. vt_dolfan

sports24/7 and Dolfan330 like this.
  8. vt_dolfan

Of couse Im not defending that kind of behavior.

Look...Im not defending bullying of any kind. If Jonathan Martin had told them to stop...and this continued. They deserve all they get. If he went to the coaches and told them....Im being treated like this..."LIKE CAM CLEELAND DID"....and they did nothing they should all go.

What I take issue with is....NOBODY KNEW ANYTHING THAT JONATHAN MARTIN FELT THIS WAY. NOT ONE PERSON.

What is bullying to one person...is not bullying with another. If you listen to the other lineman speak...everyone got part of it. Hell what did Hicks say...

"Did it wear on a quiet player? No one saw him express that. Samuda was another matter. He openly disliked these rituals. So veterans shaved the shape of a ***** in his haircut. Hicks pulled Samuda aside and saying, "Look, it's not about breakfast sandwiches. Every veteran in here could pay for them. We want you to do it. You have to earn your seat in this room. Shut your mouth. Earn your place and your respect."

Funny I dont hear Samuda say he was being bullied.

9. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

but football culture bro let boys be boys!

10. vt_dolfan

Thats right. And ...nobody is telling someone who doesnt like it....to go play in the NFL Its not for everyone. And when the over all majority of the players are fine with the normal kind of hazing...teasing...bullying that is going on...then, I find it hard for someone who doesnt play football to tell them its not.

11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Thats gross.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Who said that this story is normal behavior?

I think, if anything, we've seen what real bullying in the NFL looks like after this story and the stuff that happened with Martin and Cogs is literally nothing.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I wish we could get a clip of Rex Ryan on hard knocks telling his players to fight Vernon goldston...

Bpk likes this.
  14. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You assume that no one knew. The fact is, we really don't know one way or another. I will wait for the official report before I make any conclusions.

Also, Artis Hicks statement shows how ridiculously stupid this "culture" that they're protecting is. So, Samuda has to buy breakfast to earn his seat in the room. Doesn't he do that by being a good football player? How the hell does buying breakfast assist in that matter?

And yes, I understand that this kind of stuff goes on in most locker rooms. That doesn't make it right, and the fact that people who are criticizing the culture have never been a part of it doesn't make the criticism invalid. I've never been part of Islamic culture, but I have no problem saying that it's wrong to deny women an education and make the go outside covered head to toe in a burka.

I just take the old maxim to ehart; if you are doing something that you wouldn't do in public or that you don't want people to know about, odds are you're doing something wrong

Vegas_Phin and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  15. vt_dolfan

And by the way...

Hitting someone in the eye with a sock full of coins...is assault with a deadly weapon in my opinion. Thats not bullying, thats a criminal act, and that dude should have been thrown in jail.

16. vt_dolfan

AGAIN SCHMO....

The over all majority of players in the NFL are fine with this behavior. Its the people OUTSIDE of the locker room that have an issue with it. So now..your going to stand on your righteous bully pulpit ( hee hee..see what I did there)....and equate the locker room behavior in the NFL to how Islamic women are treated. Really?

And yeh..I have a damn good idea that nobody knew, when his own agent, the one person responsible for his financial well being, taking care of his career, OBVIOUSLY DIDNT KNOW. And how do we know he didnt know? He never called Jeff Ireland about this..until AFTER Martin left on the 28th of October.

17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A) there is -0- chance I shall ever click on a link to a PFT column

B) Agreed, giving a teammate **** is a part of a locker room, actually hitting someone with a sock full of coins is assault to injure or commit serious bodily injury.

To me, say whatever you want, it really does not matter, once you start actually hitting people with objects a bright line has been crossed.

If a player had been instructed to pull of Martin's helmet and beat him with it, that is ADW plain and simple.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Absurd.

You are arguing for a one size fits all behavior that works in every scenario. That doesn't and never has existed.

19. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So what?

There have been many times through history that the overwhelming majority of people have been in favor of something that was ultimately proven to be wrong.

The overwhelming majority of players were fine with putting bounties on other players. Yet the league decided that such behavior was wrong and put a stop to the practice.

The NFL is a business. The NFL's only goal is expanding that business to make as much money as possible. And the more money the NFL makes, the more money the players make. This makes the NFL and its players look real bad.

Think about it, at best, even if everyone ultimately agrees that Martin was not really bothered by everything that went on, the Dolphins will still have been revealed to be a team full of vile, disgusting people who put the most vile and most disgusting person on their leadership council. And this is the best case scenario.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The bold was not true.

21. The Funk Phinomenon

The Funk Phinomenon New Member

Apr 1, 2013
  22. vt_dolfan

And if thats not opinion I dont know what is. Because I dont see it that way. You just completely showed your hand in that one argument. Who else on this team is vile and disgusting? And everything you have seen Martin under go....is part of most every locker room in football, pro and college. So..are they are vile and disgusting to?

23. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

Clearly Ireland was afraid someone would pick up and Martin wold have to line up across from Wake. Lol

24. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    If you have never been there, it absolutely makes the criticism invalid. You are talking about a work place where everyone in it are Alpha Males who were men among boys in high school, among the best players in the country in college, and are an elite 1% of the population that can actually handle this game physically and mentally at the professional level. You cannot compare this workplace environment with the workplace environment at the local Joseph A Bank clothiers.

cuchulainn, Bpk, darefugee and 3 others like this.
  25. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Anybody who thinks that this is a good look for the dolphins or the NFL in general is out of their minds.

The Dolphins players uniformly defended a man, who they also palced on their leadership council, who's actions are completely anathema to 99% of the population at large. Even plenty of other football players hate him.

So when the players go out there and talk about how he's a great guy, that it's ok for him to use the n-word, etc., it's a bad look. Because if that's who you're going to bat for, then it's a tacit agreement with his behavior. And if you agree with the behavior, then people are going to assume (probably correctly) that you engage in the behavior.

26. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Well, an NFL locker room is a vile and disgusting place. Heck, a high school locker room is a vile and disgusting place. We had to run the gaunlet at my high school when we were freshmen, so that's nothing new. You are not going to change that culture. Jim Harbaugh can talk all he wants about he doesn't allow hazing, but I can pretty much guarantee you that hazing goes on in that locker room.

Bpk likes this.
  27. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I recall the vast majority of players saying how all teams had performance bounties and that the situation was overblown.

In fact, it was a similar reaction to the way most players view this controversy.

28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This is like saying that because I support gay marriage, then I want to marry another man? The reality is that Incognito is a jackass. Everyone is friends with a jackass. You can be a jackass and still be a great teammate.

cuchulainn likes this.
  29. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Well the NFL is sure going to try to, and the Dolphins are going to be made an example of.

This is a business. All this stuff that is coming out is bad for business regardless of whether anybody cared about it before.

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    99% of the population doesn't hit other men for a living either. 99% percent of don't have hit that 300ld man has hard as we can in our job descriptions. I guess we should stop football.

31. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Actually, I don't think this true.

32. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    If I remember correctly, I think the issue the players had were not with performance bounties, but with the specific areas of a player's body that Gregg Williams were telling his players to aim for. He had noted Kyle Williams' ACL and told his players to snap him like a twig? Admittedly, I could be remembering wrong.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're 100% wrong on both accounts.Most players were pissed about the bounties and most players are defending Cogs. I'm not even sure where you get your info anymore.

34. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Who is suggesting to stop football?

It's not all that much to ask that professional football players treat their own co-workers with a bare minimum level of respect and not be complete imbeciles or criminals off the field. You can still be a tough SOB on the field. Just be a normal human being off it

35. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, talking trash in locker rooms isn't going to extinct the NFL like brain trauma might. They aren't analogous IMO.

36. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    All they have to do is ask? Almost every college has an anti-hazing policy, that doesn't mean the policy works.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Even Cogs had a jackass as friend. There was this guy that would play pranks on his teammates, but the second they played on him and got angry enough to quit. Then he took jokes that were made in good faith and pretended they were malicious. Then he got Cogs suspended costing him way more than the $15K for the Vegas Trip he backed out of. On top of all that, he lied to everyone he was around of r the past 1 1/2. Talk about a jackass.

38. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Suffice it to say, there was a large divide between players and coaches in the bounty situation. The overall shock was that the targeting was being ordered from a defensive coordinator, I believe. If it were only the players behind the scenes ordering and organizing bounties, then that gives you even more of a picture of the nature of that environment.

Bounty gate feels like decades ago.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You are asking for it. Its your rule about the 99%, not mine. If you don't want to consistently enforce and instead pick and choose where it should apply, that's your business.