1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Florio on the Lydon Murtha article

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lied-and-that-coaches-knew-what-was-going-on/

This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier today when everyone was quoting the Murtha article as gospel. http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie...-lydon-murtha/

My response earlier

This whole article has smelled like bull**** since the moment I started reading it.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He could have first hand knowledge of the Vegas trip

3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Just gunna come out and say Murthas article weighs more (to me) than anything florio is even associated with. He was there. Even partially. Nit pick at the time frame all you want. Won't change the fact that Martin is coming out looking like he's the bad guy. The entire team backing cogs and not knowing WTF martin is talking about speaks more volumes than any article

4. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Oh for pete's sake, who knows what to think with all the conflicting reports and articles surrounding this fiasco...Tampa Bay, a team that was leading Seatle by 14 points at half, is on the horizon and we are still talking about this BS. I wish this would just blow over but it looks like the media will not let this one die so easy.

The losing streak, the walk-off OT safety, none of that matters anymore...we are too busy consumed by a he-said/she-said double-character assassination surrounding two average at best, poor at worst O-linemen who are largely responsible for this 4-4 record...Am I the only one who doesn't give 1 crap at this point?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    He was there for martins first preseason. Not exactly a guy who he had known for years

6. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    You probably are.

7. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    So..... what? He had key points in his article irregardless of his time frame. .

8. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Key points he claims to have first hand knowledge of that he doesn't which invalidates any points he trys to make whether they bear out to be true or not

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Look, if the whole locker room and FO is going to back Incognito and themselves (with a lot of evidence so far), then Martin and especially the media, are up ****'s creek at this point.

No way Martin can make a convincing case and not look like he's had an agenda for quite a while with a lot of his decisions.

The media looks far worse than Martin for how they tried to crucify us and failed miserably. Barring some miraculous evidence for Martin that nobody knows about, the worst we're guilty of is Incog being insensitive to some people's sensibilities by joking with his friend Mike Pouncey.

E!-SPN and Mike Gloryhole eat a fat one.

cuchulainn, xphinfanx and bran like this.
  10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Lol...anyone who wants to stake their opinions on something Mike Florio writes...by all means...be my guest. Cause we allll know he doesnt have a horse in the race, right?
    :wink2:

11. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Since when has any media outlet been held accountable for false reports and the tarnishing of reputations?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Never. That's what makes them E!-SPN. Credibility doesn't matter bc you win on the gossip appeal either way for people who enjoy that kind of thing.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  13. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    "That he doesnt". You dont know that. It doesnt invalidate anything. HE WAS THERE. Even if he WAS fed this info. Which he wasn't. Theres no way its all a 100% bs spin just to help cogs. Although you want to believe that.

14. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Its quite obvious, now that this whole mess is escalating, that whatever someone says regarding this issue, there will be those who must debate it for the sole purpose of keeping the controversial ball rolling.

MikeHoncho, Steve-Mo and bran like this.
  15. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I guess its Martins word or its false, apparently. Since we cant trust anything the players say. Former or not.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
  17. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The important take away from that article is the Vegas trip, and his thoughts on Philbin.

The Vegas trip is important because Martin ascertained that he was bullied and forced to pay for that trip and thats not the case. The case is that he tried to leave the vets responsible for his portion after he said he would go. Its that cut and dry. He said he was going to go, rengged, the reservations had been made, and he didnt want to pay up. Thats called *****ing out. Not being bullied, not being forced to pay up for other peoples trip. He could have gone. The least he could have done was say to the people planning it that he didnt want to go or something came up. Whatever. He did none of that.

Regarding Philbin, he may not have had first hand accounts of the voicemail but he did go to camp with the team and play through camp with the team and staff. He has an idea of what they are like. If they meticulous hands on types or not. If they are the type of coaches who have "the pulse of a team" or not. Some coaches are a little more liberal, hes saying Philbin isnt that way. Its pretty damning even if its not conclusive. Its not like Murtha has no credibility here, he played for the coach and he played with those guys through practice and 2 a days for 4-5 months.

Lastly the idea that Murtha going to school with Incognito does not mean they were buddies, doesnt mean they hung out, it doesnt even mean they like each other. There was a story floated that when Incognito was at Nebraska he kinda got in to it with a lineman and pushed him around a bit and until the guy quit the team. Murtha could have seen that and thought "Man, this dudes a real ***". It does not destroy his credibility, it enhances it. Murtha saw Incognito when he was an alcohol soaked, pot smoking wild man with severe anger issues and no clue how to control them at Nebraska. Murtha saw Incognito when he was in Miami and relatively clean and sober. If anyone has a first hand account of just how far Richie had come, its Murtha. And none of that has to mean they were friends at Nebraska. It simply means he was around Incognito longer as a teammate.

18. chadisawesome

chadisawesome New Member

Mar 19, 2013
    people coming to the defense of martin: "sources"
    people coming to the defense of incognito: Tannehill, Clabo, Hartline, Wake, Murtha, Wallace, Jerry, Brandon Marshall, Tory Holt, etc.

It seems a lot of people are willing to put their name on the line for one side of the story, and a lot of people are trying to hide their identity when siding with the other

19. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Says you who knows 0 more than any one else and are no more qualified to say what he does or does not know. murtha certainly doesn't need nor care about your validation.

20. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    ESPN hosts siding with Richie: *crickets*
    ESPN hosts interested in that side of the story: 0

21. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

IIRC you can find this in FL law under section 11 title 2045 00a6.

Colorado Dolfan and Boik14 like this.
  22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The same Mike Florio that wrote like a day ago "NFL needs to make it clear to all players, coaches, broadcasters, and anyone else connected to the game that there can be no reasonable debate on this topic. Martin did the right thing."

...now is penning an update about how we all need to approach the Incognito-Martin case with an open mind.

cuchulainn and vizi0n like this.
  23. chadisawesome

chadisawesome New Member

Mar 19, 2013
    I'm actually interested in the lack of "media" former players coming to incognitos side. Their take: he said the N word, and that's inexcusable.

but tory holt was on NFL radio on xm yesterday and he was siding with incognito even when rich gannon was trying his best to bait him into saying something negative.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  24. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    last night he posted saying the dolphins hit rock bottom and were still digging. the guy is a tool. now that even the comments section of his site are turning on him, he has to try and save face.

25. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Mike Florio trying to keep this alive. Not interested.

26. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    AKA the time players endure their GREATEST amount of hazing. So I'd say that counts for something.

27. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think Philbin should reinstate Richie Tuesday morning. That'll f*** all the media guys.

28. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    100%. Not a single teammate has come out and supported Martin passed the obligatory (and politically correct) "He's our teammate and we support him in his recovery". everything else has been all love for Cogs.

29. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    that and he's only a 2 year player? well, 1 and 1/2 actually..Murtha was hear for almost martins entire career.

30. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wait, wait, wait… if that happened in Nebraska, that enhances the Martin side's case.

31. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    To me it actually sounded like Murtha wrote a pretty straightforward and fair article. As to that Florio quote, Murtha clearly addressed that in the first paragraph of his article:

"I went to college at Nebraska with Richie Incognito, and I consider myself friends with him and Jonathan Martin, but I don’t speak with them regularly and I’m not taking sides. I’m only interested in the truth, which is what I’m going to share, from my own experiences and from conversations with friends still on the team."

If anything, I'd question Mike Florio's take on the Murtha piece and why he would claim that the article is characterized by Murtha as a first hand account, as he states below:

"Former Dolphins tackle Lydon Murtha has written a column for TheMMQB.com regarding the things he witnessed and the things he believed regarding the relationship between Dolphins guard Richie Incognito and Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin. Characterized as a first-person account, it’s clear there are several key aspects on which Murtha wouldn’t have had first-hand information."

The MMQB article is not characterized as a purely first person account and Murtha clearly addressed that- the article is based on his personal experiences with the Dolphins and his conversations with friends who are still on the team. That doesn't equal a purely first hand account- if anyone is misrepresenting information here I'd say that it's Mike Florio. Personally, I think that Murtha wrote a pretty good article.

invid, MrClean, MikeHoncho and 2 others like this.
  32. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    How many people clicked on the link to PFT to "see for yourself".

MikeHoncho likes this.
  33. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    No it doesnt. Richie was a pot smoking alcoholic with anger issues then. Now hes just a nut with anger issues. That happened 10 years ago. The two situations are entirely different. One was done with a coachs blessing (Martin), the other was done on his own (Nebraska)

34. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    This assumes that these people even exist.

35. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Didn't Mike Florio trash Jeff Ireland last night and then issue a barely seen retraction today? He has zero credibility.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  36. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

What did Torry Holt say? I missed it.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!
    Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!