1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does a 340 pound man (J. Martin) get bullied?

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by PlanB, Nov 5, 2013.

1. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    When they grow up believing they are a victim from birth;
    No way they were not going to the media with this and turn this whole thing into something its not. Incognito is screwed blue and Tattooed. He messed with the wrong ****er to coin a phrase. (I hate that word as much as anyone) . But this is a grown 340 pound man running home to mama and papa. A Professional NFL player! God I hate the media for becoming a tool to help feed this victimization mentality. Ritchie is an *******. We all know that. But I truly believe all texts ,emails were taken out of context. Ritchie will be served on a platter to feed this B.S. and J. Martin, a boy among men will get a hefty settlement for being a victim. Something he was taught to be from birth.

JShady and P h i N s A N i T y like this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    340 ponds isn't that big!

3. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The bigger question is... why start yet another thread about this?

I'd think any one of the previous dozen or so discussing this matter would suffice.

gilv13, Mainge and PhinsRock like this.
  4. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So, let me get this straight, the sons of really smart people that attend Harvard are taught to be victims from birth?

unluckyluciano, Mainge and PhinsRock like this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    With as little respect as I can muster, the bold and underlined is effing stupid.

If the man suffers from depression it is as real as your ignorance of this topic.

cuchulainn likes this.
  6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's possible that Jonathan Martin suffers from mental illness. In that case he would be no more equipped to handle psychological or even physical intimidation from a supposed "friend" than a child would. That appears to be the leader in the clubhouse as far as what happened here.

If he were a normal adult, fully healthy from a psychological standpoint, a professional football player who is himself paid to be a bully on the football field, to target smaller and weaker players and dominate and bully them around the field...then I would say that this is purely a money grab, Martin and his representation trying to take advantage of a situation to maintain his eligibility to receive salary from the Dolphins and possibly to even receive punitive damages.

However, if he's got a mental illness then it explains the thin skin.

Bumrush likes this.
  7. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    You can be bullied by someone smaller than you...

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Vote this thread worst assumptions made without any reasonably intelligent support for premise, in a long time on this site.

Not one single piece of evidence has been put forth to support the theory set forth herein.

9. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Just because you are a football player doesn;t mean that you enjoy getting into fights or other violence off the field. So the notion that Martin should have physically confrotned Incognito is kind of silly. Maybe he's just not that kind of person, which should be applauded actually.

unluckyluciano, Mainge and PhinsRock like this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    1. Who said anything about enjoying getting into fights?
    2. There doesn't need to be a physical confrontation at all.
    3. Someone who is not "that kind of person" probably does not survive in professional football. Which is OK.

11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    With all due respect, you don't know anything about his family other than where they went to school and where they work. We have no idea what kinds of morals, values, mentality, etc. they instilled in him.

You could be right. But you have no way of knowing at this point.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  12. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    That's what many people have been saying, not you specifically.

13. 5ringshowboutU

5ringshowboutU Banned

Jul 25, 2013
    If I suffer from depression and one of my patients yells at me, I can't sue the facility because the patient was super mean to me during therapy.

Also if I slammed my pen/chart and walked off the job without notifying a superior I would be let go.

Lmao!!! They old people bullied me. They called me boy. I quit and the old person is a bigot!!!!

Man now that I think of it I need to get a lawyer. Might have me a case.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Though your bedside manner needs work, you bring up an excellent point which is that the job description dictates the level of sensitivity applicable to this kind of thing. A prison guard can't sue because the inmates wouldn't stop insulting him. At some point, thick skin and a certain amount of what we commonly refer to as toughness becomes a job requisite.

cuchulainn and rafael like this.
  15. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Very easy, if you are an introvert who just wants to do his job and be left alone and there is an alpha (that is 8 years older than you and is popular among the locker room) likes to use you as a whipping boy.

unluckyluciano and FinNasty like this.
  16. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    One very obvious outcome of this situation is that a great deal of NFL fans have a very archaic world view reminiscent of more ignorant generations past.

It permeates football like a bad dream.

unluckyluciano and PhinsRDbest like this.
  17. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Very true. Although the prison still has to provide a safe environment for its employees. If the warden knows that there have been numerous riots and other threats of violence against staff and does nothing, and somebody gets hurt, the warden has a problem.

18. 5ringshowboutU

5ringshowboutU Banned

Jul 25, 2013
    Sorry I'm not a professional blogger. Can you send me your perez hilton self help movies? ;)

19. 5ringshowboutU

5ringshowboutU Banned

Jul 25, 2013
    Nobody had gotten hurt. If richie had, infact, slapped his real mother then it would be on the warden. If the inmates threaten and nothing happens isn't it a safe enviorment?

20. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    well thats what your saying for some odd reason.... he was obviously referring to lawyers in general.... i guess your lucky enough to know nothing about them ! Thats a good thing.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Agreed. People kept bringing up office examples which I felt were really off the mark. Reality is that the job requires a certain personality. That doesn't mean you can't be an intellectual or an introvert, but it does mean that you have to be able to respond to physical or verbal threats. And that response has to be a a little more direct than running to the coach or your parents.

22. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Although it seems light years from happening, and it may never happen, I really would like to hear Jonathan Martin, in his own words, tell his side of the story.

23. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Anyone else find it humorous that Martin's weight keeps going up? First it was 310, then 320, and now its 340. The poor guy will over 400 by the end of the week

ckparrothead and PhinsRDbest like this.
  24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Thankfully Jonathan Martin never suffered from a prison riot under the Dolphins watch.

25. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I am one, and proud of it.

Let's hope you never need one. If you do I imagine your tune will change

26. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    He weighs more than John Jerry, didn't you know lol

27. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    That will be comfort eating then. Last thing Martin needs is an eating disorder. ;)

28. 5ringshowboutU

5ringshowboutU Banned

Jul 25, 2013
    His tune might change. But that 33 1/3 bull**** won't ever change.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Running to his coach would have been a step up from what happened. He didn't even do that. I would accept that, especially in light of Incognito's texts and voicemails which really were inappropriate. He refused to seek aid from the team about it, right to the very end when his representation took control of the situation and presented the evidence and allegations to the Dolphins after a week of Martin talking to the coach and not saying a word, even talking to the players and explicitly telling them he doesn't put any of it on them.

bakedmatt likes this.
  30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I was thinking of when he spoke to Philbin in April, but you're right since he apparently didn't really tell Philbin much. My impression is that the conversation may have been primarily about him thinking about quitting. Even that seems to have been more about his own desires rather than a complaint about being bullied.

31. Kingleo702

Kingleo702 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Someone show me where emotionally abusing someone will make them tougher than I will emphasize with Incognito.

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    What are they victims from birth of though? I must have missed something....

33. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Ck...I guess Hyde mentioned something about all this seeming like Kindergarden if all the details become public. This according to a source...any ideas on what hes referring to?

In your opinion...have we seen the tip of the ice berg yet?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

34. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Do you find it feasible that he was scared to rat Richie and the players out (both from retaliation from the players and/or how it would effect his career)? And only did after persistent suggestion from his parents and/or "representation" that it was something he needed to do?

35. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Shot in the dark, maybe he overthought the coaches reactions. Turner or Sherman don't seem the understanding type. Philbin is a little harder to gauge.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Philbin flatly denied that Martin came to him in the spring, I believe.

And Adam Schefter is now saying that what happened in the spring was merely that Jonathan Martin was a no-show for two days of one of the OTAs, and that the team understood it was because he was going through something mentally/emotionally, but that they did not know what. This happened right around when Incognito sent that voicemail.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe it will get uglier, yes. I think the next shoe to drop will be what, if anything, Jim Turner knew about any efforts that Incognito and Pouncey made to specifically try and "toughen up" Martin. I don't have the link anymore but I remember an exact quote from Incognito proudly proclaiming that Pouncey and he made a concerted effort this year to toughen him up. If Jim Turner was complicit in that effort (even if he didn't know how far Richie would take it) then that would set off a pretty big bomb.

Also if it's discovered that Jonathan Martin has a history of mental health issues and that the Dolphins knew about that, another bomb.

And then there are the drug allegations...

ssmiami likes this.
  38. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Hey, you leave FinD's lady out of this!

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Feasible in a mature, psychologically healthy adult? No. What I find feasible for a mature, psychologically healthy adult would be to:

A) Confront the person who was treating you in a manner you don't want to be treated, in an effort to find an easy solution to the problem,
    B) If that fails, seek involvement from other veterans on the roster, the "leadership council" which exists explicitly for this purpose,
    C) If that fails, seek intervention from coaches, explaining to them the situation and asking that they be delicate in their handling if possible,
    D) If that fails, seek intervention by your players union, who are duty-bound to investigate and do their best to provide a safe work environment,
    E) As a final resort, seek the aid of the NFL front office who would almost surely investigate any claims of an unsafe work environment.

As an adult faced with this situation, failing to take these steps is some combination of emotional immaturity, mental illness, and/or laziness. Or perhaps lack of awareness of the tools at your disposal for handling these situations, which is kind of an extension of the laziness angle.

We need to stop treating 24 year old adults as if they are children. It is an insult to the children who face these dilemmas and really ARE ill equipped to handle them.

40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I assume you meant to say empathize.

While I don't condone RI's tactics or even agree that such tactics are effective, I don't think it's necessarily as mean-spirited or ill-intented as is being portrayed. My guess is that at least part of RI's intent was to toughen up Martin. It was probably how his dad or previous team mates tried to toughen him up. I don't think it's an effective method, but there's no doubt that it's the way that many were taught. So while I may don't agree with what he did, I can emphasize with his probable intent.