1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A worrisome financial exchange in graduate school

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by Jaj, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys, you've helped me in the past, I'm hoping you can do it again.

A couple weeks ago our business school had a lottery for the first year students regarding trip destination locations (end of the year we're split into six groups that go to six different destinations). I entered the lottery without caring too much but my lottery top choice (we had three) was the most popular amongst the class and there were rumors that in fact people would pay for a destination exchange. I won the lottery.

A friend of mine in the school, asked me to switch trips. I liked my destination better than his location that he was assigned. However, the next day he offered me $1000 in cash to switch trips. It turns out he was going to take a trip to a neighboring country later on in the year and he'd save close to $1200 by making the switch and making it one trip. We agreed not to talk about it much, just for the sake of not really bringing up something you don't need to bring up. The school's policy on the issue of how trades for locations are made is that it's between us. He had sent an email to the rest of the class offering a trade earlier. I was the one that took the deal the next day. I have proof that it was he that offered the deal and the general email he sent.

My question is this: After asking the school themselves in an off handed way what they thought of these compensation things, they simply said it's not in our hands but is there something shady going on? She became somewhat concerned (not extremely, literally just a bit). She asked if so and so that I finally did agree to make the deal with had exchanged money with me and I said no. She said "Oh I would have been surprised if he did".

I'm in a bind right now. I'm not cash strapped, but I don't like the idea of just giving me back a $1000 over being paranoid that this could become a problem later on and result in problems with my graduation.

Thanks for reading guys. Any comments would be much appreciated. I'm really not sure where to go with this one and how I could potentially get burnt in this case.

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

The school said it did not care and that as long as it was consensual between the two students it was OK, right? Enjoy the money and endure the poorer trip.

3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

My question is why was it asked in an off handed way?

If I were a school administrator and I was asked about something in an off handed way I would want to know if something shady was going on, too, because instead of coming right out about it the issue is being danced around. They have made it clear that the trade is between you two, and you took the trade and have proof that it was he that offered the deal, and have the email. I would print the email for hard copy record purposes.

I'm not sure what you mean where to go, but could you get burned by it not actually being him?

Jaj likes this.
  4. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I asked in an off handed way mainly because I wanted to avoid asking it outright. I'd say it was a mistake looking back at it. I'm going to keep the $1000 for now. It was definitely him fortunately.

Thanks dudes.

5. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Jaj

Ask yourself "What is the school worried about?"

The cynic in me would suggest that "Jaj's welfare" would not be in the top 5 answers.

I'd say that what they are worried about most is a headline in the local paper that reads "Student bullied at Local School". If you are happy and your classmate is happy and no coercion was involved then life is good. As I read the situation there are no losers and no one is unhappy so need to worry. Just make sure you keep all copies of the emails involved electronically and in hard copy.

Jaj and anlgp like this.
  6. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Analyze it as a business decision. Ask yourself why the destination you won in the lottery is more popular than the one your friend was assigned. Will it be significantly different in terms of experience gained? Look better on your resume? Help you make better contacts? If so, how does the future value of the experience compare to the present value of $1,000 cash?

If you decide to take the cash, ask the administration flat out whether they have any objection to what you propose to do, explaining how you came to your decision. If they have any objection, don't do it.

Jaj likes this.
  7. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Guys you do realize this is a bump after six weeks of dormancy don't you? This ship has sailed.

Jaj likes this.
  8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It hasn't come up since.

Ohiophinphan likes this.