1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: Do you think there is bullying or hazing here on ThePhins?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bpk, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

With all this bullying and hazing talk in the mains, I thought if we wanted to judge lockerroom and military culture maybe we could start by looking at ourselves here.

I am not sure I'd call anything we do here bullying or hazing, but then, the perspective of others who felt they were bullied or hazed may be different.

I think the anonymous nature of the board allows people to confront others with fewer consequences. And the anonymous report a post system and great moderators helps too.

But what do you think? As we discuss atmospheres that allow bullying or hazing to go on, do you think it happens here too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I'm constantly bullied. Have you been the Lounge lately?

Ohio Fanatic, McLovin, Jt0323 and 5 others like this.
  3. Bpk

I was trying to start this in the Lounge.

Mods, could you move this to wherever you feel most appropriate.

Thanks!

4. Shad-up

Ohio Fanatic, maynard and McLovin like this.
  5. Bpk

Don't talk while there's something in your mouth.

maynard and McLovin like this.
  6. canesz06

canesz06 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Yeah. If you speak the truth and say this team isn't very good, you get called all sorts of names from the blind homers

McLovin likes this.
  7. Bpk

Oh my.... Maynard... Are you our bullying victim? Are you our Jonathan Martin?

JMay?

McLovin and maynard like this.
  8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    A little bit. Some posters like to dump on newbies. And there is significant amount of name calling in disagreements, so that can be considered bullying.
    But, this is not a work place.

9. Bpk

Is that bullying though or just verbal abuse. To me, bullying is continuous and systematic, punishing you for essentially being yourself and trying to mentally, physically or emotionally break you gradually down until you give up.

I think a mad person calling you an ******* Ian't quite the same as bullying unless they wage a consistent campaign over time to make to you believe it.

10. Bpk

Good point. Not a work place.

But here it's about agreeing on the standards of treatment so we have athe type of community we can all enjoy. That's what the Terms of Service are really for, if people adhere to them.

11. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Moderating is strictly content based, it's spelled out somewhere I think and those are the standards. There is nothing there that prevents clique forming and ganging up on posters.

12. Bpk

I guess so, but not being able to directly attack the poster sure makes it harder for anyone here to really enjoy bullying people.

13. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    There's a couple people on here with huge egos that get away with verbal abuse and name calling.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  14. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    That's true. Enforcement is informed by the culture. If the posters who make this site go are jackarses, you can not ban jackarses because you will lose the site. And so it goes, you have to tolerate some stuff in the interest of life.

15. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Ask Maynard :lol:

McLovin likes this.
  16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Yep.

But dudes on MESSAGE BOARDS with huge egos is kinda funny though. Generally I just assume their lives outside of the Internet is pretty pathetic. Pray for em.

McLovin and steveincolorado like this.
  17. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Is this thread because Frumundah caught you checking an 80 year old mans prostate for the fun of it?

Bpk, maynard and McLovin like this.
  18. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    you mean like "blind homer"? You've got no room to open your trap in this thread. Just sayin.

Ohio Fanatic, McLovin and Fin D like this.
  19. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    i'm not saying maynard is easy or anything...

its not bullying if you like the attention and/or get an erection over it.

:shifty:

Bpk, ToddPhin and maynard like this.
  20. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    POFO anyone?

21. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I think its bullying if there is malice intent. IMO. pranks like the one played on Martin had no malice intent, he just happen to be the last person to sit down. He just took it personal. If someone though says they don't like to be pranked like that, or think they are being bullied, and it keeps happening, then yeah it becomes bullying. Here I don't see any bullying. There are jokes at others expense sometimes but none are really anything personal. Its like Roasting. Roasting to me is the biggest form of flattery. The jokes are all tongue-in-cheek.

Example: I posted a pic of a jacket I liked, but it turned out to be a females jacket. Rocky said
    I chuckled, thought it was funny. Did I take offense? No. I also believe some people can take a joke and some people cant.

Bpk and McLovin like this.
  22. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    shut up and jump off a building in vegas, Nancy.

when i played hockey back in the day, (cause thats what we yankees do opposed to the "who can float further in this raft" then the nice people of miami do.. we had a guy we called Nancy, in honor of nancy kerrigan.

anlgp and Jt0323 like this.
  23. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    "been TO the lounge lately"

idiot.

305, maynard and anlgp like this.