1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bruised, battered Tannehill for Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ryan Tannehill steps were slow, and painstakingly labored.

He had a limp in his stride, a bag of ice in his hands, and a disenfranchised look on his face leaving the Miami Dolphins locker room.

It was clear the Dolphins starting quarterback hadn't just taken a physical beating during Sunday's 23-21 loss to the Buffalo Bills. He'd also been flogged emotionally after producing three costly turnovers in the Dolphins' first division loss.

The last of which cost the Dolphins the victory, and sends Tannehill's team on a three-game losing streak heading into next Sunday's road game against the New England Patriots.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...phins-1021-20131020,0,4840278.story?track=rss

Tough week for Tannehill- took a beating and made some lousy plays. I hope that he mentally and physically survives this season. A couple of weeks ago this board was full of Tannehill certainly being a franchise Quarterback and the OL was ok because we were winning games. How times have changed.

2. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    It's tough alright, shake it off and focus on the Pats,

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Translation: If my RT could block, we would have won.

I wholeheartedly agree. **** you Clabo.

4. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

at some point Tannehill is going to get pissed and take matters into his own hands and just play...

smahtaz likes this.
  5. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    I think the guy has shown he can be our franchise QB. I just hope he lasts the season.

6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    "If we have another half-second, no one is talking about this," said Tannehill, who has a 83.1 passer rating after six starts."

9 hours later and I'm still fuming. So close, yet so far away. Interesting that Sherman called a run play and Tannehill checked out of it. People can blame the coaching staff all they want, and they deserve blame, but it mainly comes down to execution.

7. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Play what? Right Tackle?

8. DOLPHAN1

really?

he can continue to hang in the pocket and get slaughtered or when it's clear he isn't gonna get any consistent help from the OL, start scrambling as soon as he gets the ball and try to make things happen on his own. use his mobility.

9. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I have thought this for several weeks now & was a bit concerned about it last year. But, while the staff is to blame in several instances, I have a real concern over whether Tannehill is smart enough to play QB in the NFL. I am not seeing a QB who can look off WRs effectively, nor one who can handle a complex game. The play calling is so vanilla... and I know these coaches Have the plays and formations there to use.

When you compare Luck to RT it is Mensa vs. Remedial. & Russell Wilson def has a better feel for the game & smarts for the position. It is one area I just don't think JI did enough research on RT.

RT is still young, esp. in terms of games played, but one has to be concerned about this. His instincts also are not so great. He has a good arm, good release and when the protection is there he can make some big plays. But, there's not much complexity to the offense and we have veteran WRs who can handle that.

10. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    You can't make consistent playcalling to have RT run as soon as he gets the ball. That's going to cause more problems. I just don't think we've got the players to have a good rolling pocket (Pouncey can move btw ) Maybe use the shotgun more but we are using it alot already. Having Tanny running isn't the answer imo.

11. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Lol tannehill is the only offense we have but its his fault? Funny that its always the qb, never the people coaching him or surrounding him.

The turnovers r a concern and RT HAS GOT to protect it, but Clabo getting him killed isn't his fault. Smart enough? Gimme a break. This coaching staff n GM? Better question

12. Kevlared

Kevlared New Member

Jun 8, 2013
    the oline is terrible. i dont think i've ever seen a sack as bad as the first sack that clabo gave up. he got beat INSTANTLY. and then the hail mary was just laughable, again Clabo gets owned INSTANTLY. It's a miracle Ryan even got that pass off.

dolfan22 and SICK like this.
  13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Clabolombo has to go

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Bpk, dolfan22, gilv13 and 2 others like this.
  14. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yeah Clabo is as bad as Columbo in every sense...Can't believe we are going through this again.

As for Tannehill, I like him quite a bit but I do have my doubts about him. I said that a couple weeks ago after the Saints loss and got damn near crucified on here by the Tannehill faithful. I know the offensive line is crap but Tannehill has got to be more aware of things going around him. He fumbles every game! I get that turnovers happen, I get that QB's throw picks but he does this every single game. The fact that he's responsible for all 11 turnovers this year does not sit well with me either. I know I know..."buh buh it's only his second season", or "He hasn't played QB since high school". There can be excuses made for anyone and anything, the bottom line is a franchise QB can win you a game all by himself when everything else around them is going bad. We see it with guys like Aaron Rodgers, depleted secondary on defense, banged up receivers....Guy still gets it done. A franchise QB gives you that feeling like "as long as we have him on our team, we have a chance".
    I think that is the main difference between Tannehill and other young QB's like Cam Newton and Andrew Luck. With Cam Newton or Andrew Luck on your team it's any given Sunday. With Tannehill it's like "Dear God, I hope he doesn't fumble the ball or throw a pick today". I think at some point I think Tannehill is going to break mentally the way Henne did and eventually he'll be whatever he'll be in the NFL which I think is average.

I know i'll get killed by some of you for saying this (you don't read) but I have never really felt 110% secure with Ryan Tannehill. I'm on the bus with him, I want to trust him, and I want to believe that he's our guy but he makes that hard sometimes.

My complaints about him have not changed at all...He holds the ball too long, he loses all sense of awareness in the pocket, he forgets that he's very athletic and just stands there to get killed, and he's playing scared at certain times. Those are my complaints. I will say that the positives outweigh the negatives but at some point you have to think about just sitting him down for a game or two.

I'll bring up Pat Devlin yet again in this topic. I've heard great things about him, and how he has a mastery of this offense. He looked good in preseason and the guy seems to play with a chip on his shoulder. He's got some fight to him as well and i'd like to see him get a shot if Tannehill is going to continue to struggle. We can't just blame everything on Tyson Clabo...Yeah he's awful but there is more to it than just that.

Flame away.

mlb1399 likes this.
  15. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I am starting to have your same doubts as well. I get that our OL is terrible and he is getting sacked a lot. At the same time, you can't turn the ball over as much as he does. You just don't win football games when you turn the ball over 3 times.

The one thing I would say, with you pointing out Aaron Rodgers, is that he had the benefit of sitting behind Favre for 3 years. In other words, we never got to see all of his growing pains and development.

I'm hoping that this is just part of the growing pains of a QB who wasn't ready coming out of college. What gives me hope is that when he does get an actual pocket, he has shown that he can step up or move around to make plays. The problem is that on a lot of plays, the pocket is collapsing at LT, LG and RT.

16. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    The ONLY good take away from yesterdays game is that Tannehill faught back from adversity and put us in a position to win. I like his progress so far after 22 or so starts. Hes our guy, no doubt. Every QB throws pick sixes, Brady threw one against the Jets yesterday as well...

padre31, phintasmic, dolfan22 and 2 others like this.
  17. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    It's hard for Tannehill to be the man when he's been put on his back more than any other starting QB in the NFL. (Only Jacksonville, with the unholy combo of Henne and Gabbert, have given up more combined sacks) Tannehill always looks like he's in a hurry back there. I would be too, if I had Tyson Clabo "protecting me." Get him some time in the pocket, and he'll probably settle down a little bit and stop pressing so much. More time = less turnovers = better QB.

18. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    Is it just me or is Tannehill not really that athletic? Or, at the very least, he's not as athletic as everyone likes to think he is just because he played WR.

Granted, he throws great on the run and that's very impressive, but somehow it seems like his "athleticism" doesn't actually translate to the QB position in any meaningful way. He looks so awkward when he runs. He can't make anyone miss in the open field. He's really not any faster than anyone on the defense. He can't even sidestep to avoid the sack or buy extra time in the pocket. He reminds me a lot of how Eli Manning moves...like someone throwing a lawn chair down a flight of stairs.

chadisawesome likes this.
  19. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Can't make anyone miss? Did you see the hail-mary at the end of the game? Anyone else is completely buried there..he somehow breaks the tackles, keeps his balance, hangs on to the ball, and still heaves it 50 yards in the end zone while on the run. Maybe he should've hurdled a defender or two and ran it in himself.

20. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    It's a good thing noone here determines the qb fate for the phins including me. None r qualified well very few at best.

RT has to improve but I mean BUT to say he doesn't got awareness, hr holds the ball too long, shows you make judgments on the eye test solely. It is easy to say RT SHOULD do this or that, but its wonderful making decisions when you know the outcome. This offense runs off of RT, he is the offense. Sure he makes mistakes but all qbs do.

How about defense that can't stop the run when everyone knows there running? When you need a stop badly to pick up your team? Defense strength of team? Maybe by numbers but buff shoved it down their throat when game on the line.

If it make it easy to blame 1 person g ahead, but its more than that.

21. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    Ya I actually attribute the 2nd INT to everyone (including the staff and players) complaining about sacks... In the previous weeks RTH would have takin the sack and we would have gotten 3 points out of the drive. Instead he forces probably his worst pass of the season.

22. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I get it that Tanny needs to quit with the turnovers. But...........I don't see it as it all being on him.

I don't think we will KNOW.......if he is our FQ until they put a good OL in front of him. 3 out of 5 completely SUK.

I still wonder if Sherman is using the WHOLE playbook yet. Are they still ......bringing RT along slowly?....because of his lack of experience?

I don't remember me ever saying he is our FQ because he hasn't shown me he is, yet. I like him. But I can't say that yet.

I haven't been a fan of Sherman's, though. I wonder how much of this is HIS fault.

edit

Once again they start the game off in auto pilot mode. Like they don't really want to be there. It was about mid way of the 2nd quarter when they woke up and started playing. This has GOT to STOP.

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    less is Moore?

24. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Saying we missed on Rodgers growing pains because he sat behind Favre is silly. No matter how long you sit, your first game is still your first game and likewise for the season etc. He had growing pains, plenty of them, its just that his level of play is so damn high now that people tend to forget he struggled as well. As does everyone.

25. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't agree with that at all, but I do agree his athleticism isn't really particularly well show-cased at times. He's keeping his eyes down the field when he really should be taking off and running at times. When he does run, he's capable of some pretty impressive feats.

Stitches and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  26. Hobiesailor

Hobiesailor Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I'm not sure why everyone is calling that 2nd INT all RTH's fault. that ball looked to me like it was tipped at the line, came out wobbling like it did too. Had that ball not gotten tipped, it would have floated over the defender and hartline should have caught it.

27. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    You'd have to show some video evidence of that to assert that statement...

The way it looked, Tannehill simply didn't see the other DB coming over as he attempted to float that one into Hartline. Regardless, he should have rifled it to Hartline, or thrown underneath where he other other guys open. I like Tannehill a lot, but at times he tries to do too much. Growing pains.

28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Definitely was not tipped.

29. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

First Int was just a CB jumping a quick out route....its a timing play, if the CB guesses right its a pick six. Wasnt a bad throw...wasnt a bad read, it was just a good play by the CB.

Second one in the endzone was a horrible pass.

30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I thought it looked like it was too but they never showed a better camera angle to see for sure.

Either that or it slid out of his hand and he had to kind of pushed it forward.

31. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC

Now that you say this, I do believe you're right. He seems very stiff, not fluid and relaxed like Wilson. People say he shakes off sacks, but I think they get in his head. Or at least maybe they should get in his head. The D was barreling down on him from both sides on that fumble and granted there was nowhere he could escape, but he needs to get rid of the ball or at least curl up and protect the ball. Henne was great at avoiding sacks every year and he made the OL look better than it was. Tannehill is the opposite.

32. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Was a terrible throw and a terrible read- because he threw the ball without a sense of awareness of what was going on there. That was a lousy play, the pick six kind that loses football games. Reminiscient of Chad Henne, and that's a problem. Henne doesn't lack for size or arm strength, what he lacks is football IQ. Tannehill has to prove that he has it in sufficient quantities- forget Luck and Wilson, he's in the same boat with Brandon Weeden. I still like Weeden quite a bit, and I like Tannehill though not as much. Regardless, they both have a lot to prove.

And yes, the OL is making it very difficult for Tannehill. I've seen Martin and Clabo both get just about thrown back into Tannehill, not good. Time to find out if Dallas Thomas is any good, whether or not Danny Watkins was worth picking up and what the story is with Will Yeatman. Nate Garner is what he is, but at this point I wouldn't mind seeing him given a shot, he played RT pretty well a few years ago iirc.

33. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Tannehill just looks too slow and stationary in the pocket. Lethargic, sluggish. Wish we saw a little more activity with his feet back there, a little bounce in his steps. This was the first game where I really thought it became a bigger problem. But when it comes down to it, you just can't turn the ball over like that against a team that's worse than you and starting a backup scrub QB running a BS offense. No turnovers, we win.

I liked the game Sherman called...until that fateful passing play. But man, when the pocket is collapsing like that, Tannehill has to fold up and protect the ball. Especially in this particular situation, late game with a lead against a sh-t QB - don't try to do too much. Clabo/Martin didn't do their job, but Tannehill didn't take care of his first priority (ball security) either.

finwin likes this.
  34. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    I only blame Clabo for the 2 sacks that cost us the game.
    RT is a young QB with bad protection, I watched 2 great QBs look shaky when they had little protection Brady and Manning

35. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    The point is that he had time to develop into a great QB. We are 22 games into RTH's development. When you factor in the lack of experience in college, he is still very inexperienced as a QB.

36. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Its funny because its a ****ty argument.

37. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    When it comes to this nonsense, yes please.

38. DOLPHAN1

don't think it has anything to do with Tannehills experience or ability. I think this is squarely on this offense being able to do any more. there is no consistent running game and the line does not give RT consistent time to allow plays to develop. that make our offense very vanilla and very predictable.

39. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    It's funny it's everyone's fault but Tannehill's.

The amount of whining about protecting Tannehill and blaming everyone else on this board is effeminate.

40. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Same thing with the Brady Pick 6 yesterday. The stej DB recognized the route to Gronk. He jumped it and took it in for the score. Agree on the second INT. Just a bad play by Tannehill. He got greedy and didn't see the other DB.

As for the strip sack - it was a 3 step drop. A one second 3 step drop... and in that one second, Williams was able to blow up Clabo, take the INSIDE shoulder and attack the throwing arm before he could get the ball out. 1.2 seconds and done. That's on Clabo. Tannehill didn't have time to secure the ball and eat the sack.

maynard likes this.