1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bills@Dolphins game thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What a frustrating mess of ****. You lose to a bad team coming out of a bye week on a comedy of errors, and torpedo pretty firmly whatever momentum you had with a good start.

I'm not sure why people are screaming and kicking their legs about the coaching staff on this one. This was execution, pure and simple.

Ryan Tannehill had a god awful game. I think the best thing you can say is that he took his eyes off the field in order to do something about the rush some of the time. His accuracy was pretty bad, his timing/decision making was pretty poor, and losing the football on the sack was pretty awful as well.

The management of the run game was pretty good- They canned the outside zones for the most part, except for occasional change-ups out of shotgun formations. They focused on what works in the run game, and it was successful.

Both Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller played well, and I think that's about both their upsides. Thomas had I think a good selection of plays for him.

Mike Wallace shouldn't make it to the end of the season on the field at this rate. An occasional long catch isn't worst the consistent failures to do the basics of the possession well.

Brandon Gibson should be getting more snaps.

I liked to see more blocking from the tight ends.

People are going to **** on the offensive line, but overall the performance was pretty good. Two sacks, and not a lot of pressure in 37 drop backs is not a bad day, combined with the run blocking. Tyson Clabo didn't have a good day, but people acting like he single-handedly lost the game have lost their ****ing mind.

We miss Cameron Wake. Olivier Vernon has been pretty decent, Derrick Shelby really hasn't, and Dion Jordan looks promising but not ready.

I thought the linebackers had a decent enough day all things considered. I didn't really have a good angle on the Jelani Jenkins to see how deserved the foul was.

Nolan Carroll really did a **** job tackling this week. Was he clearly benched on the television broadcast?

I thought Reshad Jones came around a bit, and begin playing more like the Jones of last year with some errors.

Dan Carpenter made all his kicks, and Caleb Sturgis didn't. That's embarrassing.

Da 'Fins, Bpk, MrClean and 1 other person like this.
  2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Tyson clabo did lose the game, yes. I'm not out of my mind. Everything was going fine until Mario Williams started singlehandedly stopping our offense. You can say Mario Williams won the game for the bills if that makes it sound less accusing of clabo, but that pos we have at RT is why we lost.

MAFishFan and maynard like this.
  3. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Ryan Tannehill did have a really bad game. He stared down receivers all day and rarely went through his progressions. When he did go through his progression, he made plays...he needs to do this more. I blame coaching though more than anything. Playcalling, coming out flat, dumb penalties...you can put all that on coaching. Offense was anemic the majority of the day, you have to fault that on the coaches. The o-line had a average day which is good for them but Clabo wet the bed when it did matter most. You cannot deny that.

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    **** Clabo with a rusty screw driver.

finyank13 and dolfan32323 like this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bull****, Football is SITUATIONAL, the offensive line, once again, failed under pressure and tbh, I'm personally pissed about it.

Heads need to roll, and no, I'm not kidding, if it comes down to "execution" then I'm in favor of it

MAFishFan, muscle979, Paul 13 and 3 others like this.
  6. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Tyson Clabo didn't account for anything even remotely close to the 10+ point differential Tannehill personally was responsible for.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    He also swung the differential in the opposite direction when he threw a career high 3 tds. Clabo, on the other hand, did exactly what he's done all season.

Suck.

8. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    That doesn't balance out, especially when it comes down to the relative difficulties. Tyson Clabo is a bad player and we shouldn't be in a position to starting him, but using him as a scapegoat is ridiculous.

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's not on the coaching staff? I find that pretty hard to believe. I agree that Ryan Tannehill had a bad game, but play-calling was an issue again, both offensively and defensively. Too many 3rd and long conversions given up on the same plays that were given up in games 3 and 4 weeks ago. Up by a point with four minutes left and 3 straight passes were called. Leaving Tyson Clabo without help on the strip-sack.

Execution was bad, but it's certainly not all on that. Ultimately, it's up to the coaches to put players in good spots to execute, and I don't think the staff have done a good job of that since week 2. Even Joe Philbin said in his post game press conference that they didn't do a good job getting the team ready to play. Yikes.

finyank13 likes this.
  10. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Not a scapegoat. His inability to play his position has now lost us two games in crunch time. He couldn't stop Suggs when we needed it most. And he couldn't stop Williams.

Tannehill with time has proven he can be quite the qb. Which makes clabos inefficiency that much more glaring.

ASOT, Rocky Raccoon and maynard like this.
  11. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    if you lost the game within the first minute of the game down only 7, then the their is something very wrong with your team....

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Uhm yeah, 3 minutes left, he surrenders a strip sack fumble=GW FG

Same as that dog**** 2 weeks ago, and here you are defending that pooh.

DeNile is not just a river in Egypt

13. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there

where did you come from, muffin?

14. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    it was referring to the team, if a team has lost the game within the first minute(and someone actually believes that) it says **** all about your team.

15. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Barry Jackson just dropped a bomb of a tweet. Since monitoring sacks allowed became official in 2008, no offensive lineman - tackles, guards, and centers included - has allowed more than 14 sacks in a 16 games played. Tyson Clabo's on pace to let up 21.

mcdave21 and Paul 13 like this.
  16. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not real big on throwing my hands up in the air and yelling "coaching" when the team plays poorly. I don't think the coaching was bad today by any means, and I'm not sure what the play-calling issues would be beyond "plays didn't work".

GMJohnson likes this.
  17. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's text-book scapegoating . That one play, regardless of how inopportune a time it occured does not outweigh the myriad of bad plays on Tannehill's shoulder. It doesn't even remotely come close.

18. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd just cite the last two drives Miami had when they were playing with a lead as far as it relates to play-calling. Same with a lot of the play calls on 3rd down situations in the first half. It was an issue today and has been for a while.

mcdave21 likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh he's worse then that, his run blocking is dreadful as well.

This is why I'd happily go to his house, bring coffee, delete his Ipad playbook, and cut him with a smile.

I'd prefer Yeatman, Clabo is just soo ****ty, he is worse than Colombo

mcdave21 and ASOT like this.
  20. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    For me, you can't lose to this Bills team, at home, coming off a bye.

I thoughy tge play-calling was solid. Tannehill was not. You just can't spot a team 7 points like that. Mike Wallace may go down as one of the worst signings. What's the difference between him and Ginn?

Defense played well, but you have to tackle Fred Jackson at the end of the game. Our tackling was poor.

We're a very marginal team with little room for error.

finyank13 likes this.
  21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    For one, it wasn't one play. The drive prior to the strip sack he completely whiffs on Williams and gets tannehill killed. It was the hardest hit tannes taken all season. THEN he ****s the bed again on the next drive.

**** him. Can't believe there's a person alive defending him right now. I had a friend, a niners fan, text me after the game saying "that clabo guy needs to be put down like old yellor"

22. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Who is defending him?

23. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Nobody. The problem is that he is a 30 year old FA playing RT, its way too easy to point him out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Da 'Fins and dont fumble like this.
  24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't really see what the sin is besides it not working. Here's the second to last play with a lead:

It started with 10 minutes left. That's not chewing up the clock time. Maybe they could have thrown another run in there, but I'm not sure what the overall balance realistically should have been given the situation besides better play.

Here's the second to last:
    I'm not sure what to fault there.

25. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was wrong there, it was the drive before that one. Miami went 3 and out calling 3 straight passes. Even so, if not for a penalty, Miami's lost 9 yards on a sack, and you're looking at two more passes.

As for the last drive, with the fumble, that's squarely on Tyson Clabo. He got beat one-one-one to the inside.

26. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    I don't think play calling was the biggest problem... Execution on both sides of the ball was bad.. Ryan atoned for this poor start with some better plays but he did make a lot of mistakes.. The line played well enough but fell apart late.. Defense gave up too many big plays on third down.. But I don't blame play calling one bit.. Nice mix of run and pass.. Could we have run the ball 3 straight times and punt sure, maybe we break one for a first down.. I think joe want to put the dagger in their heart but failure to block Williams killed it.. Maybe not doubling him on key passing plays is on the coaches but I don't question the decision to throw it there..

27. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    We didn't spot them 7 points, we spotted them 14 points.

Ryan Tannehill came out rusty after the bye week. For a young quarterback, behind an OL that has struggled, maybe that was to be expected.

Which, seemingly the coaches were on top of it, going with the run as much as they did in the first half.

But then it's inexcusable to go away from the run in the second half, and with a lead in the fourth quarter, choosing to go with Lamar Miller MORE than Daniel Thomas when you did run.

And then the cherry on top, I see Dion Sims helping Jonathan Martin in crunch time. Who was he helping Martin block you ask? Well, it wasn't Mario Williams. Apparently our coaches THINK that Tyson Clabo doesn't need the help on his side going up against Williams.... :lol:

Not sure how anyone can defend the coaches, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, for this one.

We still can't defend a screen.... we still can't execute a screen on offense. I do wonder what happens in practice though... which side wins when a screen is called. Does the universe swallow itself up during that moment of time?

Da 'Fins, MAFishFan, mcdave21 and 7 others like this.
  28. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Our offense almost executes the screen perfectly every time. it's the most ridiculous thing we do I think. there's only ever one player who can stop the screen, and that player stops it EVERY SINGLE TIME. We can fool the entire defense except for one guy and that ONE GUY will make the tackle right away. Its logic defying. Like maybe the opposing team even coaches against it that way. "Alright, you, you're job is to watch for screens. The other 10 guys will go about everything like normal but Im appointing you as the one who stops the dolphins screens. Don't worry, one guy is all we need"

maynard, Rocky Raccoon and Stitches like this.
  29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't think you can swipe the pick six out the gate under the rug, he eye balled his receiver the whole time, and allowed the corner to make the play..Qb can't do that on the opening drive, it's demoralizing..

He's got to multitask more from the pocket, he's got to take more matters into his own hands..it's his team..he's the leader, it's a critical mistake that can lose ball games in this league..

30. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Really though, what's the point of occupying a roster spot with Yeatman for the past 2+ years if there's almost no shot of him seeing the field?

If he hasn't developed into a player more capable than what we're getting out of Clabo till this point, then why keep him on the roster? If he's not better than the current Tyson Clabo, please free up the roster spot.

I say give the guy a shot.

31. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I posted this in another thread, but I'll post here too:

Execution was much more of the problem. But coming out of the bye week, this is surely on the coaches at least a little bit. Isn't it supposed to be their job to put the players in position to execute properly. These were execution mistakes we see on Thursday night football games. Not something we should be seeing with an extra week to implement a game plan.....at home....against a below average defense

Disgustipate likes this.
  32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well, unfortunately, I think we've seen the ceiling for Ryan Tannehill. He'll never be "great." But is good good enough with this offensive line? I think we know the answer to that deep down... deep down we know.
    The answer isn't yes

Da 'Fins likes this.
  33. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    They ran 8 offensive plays, with a lead, and needing to spin clock and they called 6 passes and 2 runs. You can club Tannehill to death until your heart is content, that is horrific playcalling.

brandon27, MAFishFan and Paul 13 like this.
  34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    yep... and I understand the mantra of "convenient to blame the playcalling" and all that, but at some point even the most ardent of coach supporters needs to just ponder the question.

35. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I've pondered it for weeks. Sherman KNOWS this quarterback, KNOWS this offensive line and continues to call the same **** over and over again.

Do we attack the middle of the field? No.

Do we run any screens? No.

Are we good in short yardage? No.

Are we good in 3rd and 2-4? No.

Does he move his athletic quarterback around? No.

I'm done. This team is cooked. We're going to get blown out of the building next week. 7-9 here we come.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  36. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    You've got 10 minutes and change left, your aren't running out the clock. You are trying to score.

37. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    Playcalling was solid? Play calling in the last four minutes was god awful.

mcdave21 likes this.
  38. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Yes, but to what effect? The gameplan, if properly executed was fine. The mistakes this team made on plays that were entirely reasonable was more than enough for the difference in this game, and if done competently the whole deal looks different.

I would argue if you're to blame coaching, you've got to have specifics. It's overly simplistic, but there's a rock, papers, scissor going on here, and I think there needs to be an observation on who did what and why it was bad.

39. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well, I don't agree with all of that, there were SOME changes that we made this week offensively. Dave Hyde noted them in his 10 article. We simplified some things in the running game. We started with Daniel Thomas and not Lamar Miller. Simplified the run blocking up front. More quick hit runs, less zone read runs. I know it's not an easy thing to take solace in, but it's not like we got blown out today and nothing worked. This game was there to be won in the fourth quarter and we just didn't do what we had done in the three wins.. make the plays to close the game out. It doesn't help that Sherman forgets what works during the game though. Up 21 to 20, in the fourth quarter we had two possessions... we choose to go shotgun on NINE out of THIRTEEN times. Two of those shotgun calls we tried running the ball with Lamar Miller for 1 yard each time. Only once out of thirteen snaps did we try running the ball with Daniel Thomas. Apparently his 11 carries for 58 yards wasn't good enough (his stats up until that time)... get this...

Daniel Thomas TEN of TWELVE carries came with Tannehill under center.
    Lamar Miller SIX of NINE carries came with Tannehill in SHOTGUN.... and you guess it, those last two carries by Miller... shotgun...

That's a pretty big friggin tendency/trend that defensive coordinators are going to take notice.

Da 'Fins, mcdave21 and maynard like this.
  40. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    at least stay balanced and stop the defense from teeing off on Tannehill with our inept pass protection. Plus, in the 3rd quarter we were still running the ball fairly well. Their defense was perhaps.... maybe... starting to tire. At some point, you adjust in game and realize what is working and GO WITH IT!

mcdave21 likes this.