1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projection TV Bulb Replacement

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Den54, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Hi,

I have a Sony LCD rear projection tv. It's going on 6 years old and the picture is getting dim.
    After doing some research, it appears the bulb may be going. I'm not ready at the moment to invest in a new tv atm.

My question is, would I be ok with an after market bulb or do I need a Sony bulb?
    I've seen bulbs as cheap as 70.00 dollars on ebay. Which is about half as much as a Sony bulb.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The bulb you get should be dependent on the model TV you have, but I find it unlikely that sony actually makes any of the bulbs. You may want to check more places than just ebay (like amazon for example) for replacement bulb and housing.

Den54 likes this.
  3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    My mother has a 10 year old or so Sony DLP set. The bulb on it was replaced about 2-3 years ago, so parts are most definitely available. Call Sony support and see if they'll sell you the bulb, the set is almost certainly not under warranty anymore.

Alternatively, take this as a nice time to buy a new TV set.

Den54 and finyank13 like this.
  4. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I have replaced the bulb in my samsung dlp several times. I have both ordered from online and purchased locally from a tv repair shop , those options are much less expensive than going through the manufacturer. You tube if you need help , but it is very easy to do. Just get the model of the tv , search replacement bulb and that should get you going.

Den54 likes this.
  5. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Thanks everyone. I ordered a new lamp, OEM, for $62.00.
    I installed it and it appears to have done the trick.

dolfan22 and Desides like this.
  6. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

BTW I have also done this once for the colour wheel.