1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vs. Ravens pre-game thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Oct 1, 2013.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think seeing how this team responds to the loss vs. the Saints is really going to show us what kind of team we have.

I do not have warm and fuzzy feelings about our offensive line or secondary. I also think Ngata may be hungry and need some snacks mid game, and have this bad feeling that John Jerry may end up being that snack if they can put Ngata over Jerry.

To make this extra interesting, I have a friend who's a Ravens fan, who's still pissed they're the 1 in our 1-15. It makes conversations about football relatively interesting because I heard "It's only the Browns", "You got lucky vs. the Colts", and "Ya'll still suck" when we beat the Falcons. You could imagine how he was today. Actually, he was not that bad. It was more like

:omg: Tannehill is athletic.

Yeah. My response: We got destroyed. I'm not happy with the line play or the secondary play.

My question to ya'll:

What do you think we need to do to win vs. the Ravens and go into the bye at a ( :omg: ) 4-1, and what do you think would happen that would make us go into the bye at 3-2?

Mainly, I think it has to do with adjustments with what I've just talked about. I posted elsewhere that I think that if we cannot adjust to these things that we are in for a long season.

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    get to flacco. glacco throws ints pretty commonly. wake is back hopefully, so thats a big win in this one. contain rice and this game is very winnable. their wrs dobt scare me and we finally get to play a team without a top te

Bpk likes this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Go figure, I have concerns. I always have concerns, but I also always have things that I like.

I think the Ravens are highly suspect as a team compared with the form they had late in the 2012 season as they went on a Super Bowl run. I like our chances in this game. It looked like a tough game on the schedule but this might be a game where we're favored on the betting sheets. So that's good.

The concern I have is the Dolphins did little over the previous four weeks to correct problems that underpinned even their three victories against the Browns, Colts and Falcons. I think MOST of us walked out of the Falcons game thinking the Dolphins got outplayed and were lucky to have won the game. The Colts game came down to a final drive. So little by little, our margin against our opponents has been chipped away until finally last night it was blown to pieces.

Can the Dolphins recover? It depends on how serious they are about changing, adapting and getting problems fixed.

I'm not quite sure yet how serious they are about that. There are mixed indications from Joe Philbin post-game. He seems to finally be fed up with the pass protection problems which may indicate willingness to do something drastic to adapt to the problem, but he also seems to have zero problem with what we all know to be an awful play call on 3rd & Inches on the first drive of the game.

Meanwhile the PLAYERS are giving mixed indications. If you don't think there were players in that game last night during the fourth quarter that (as I heard it put eloquently on twitter) "already had their in-flight meal chosen" then you're kidding yourself. Some notably did not, guys like Jared Odrick fought the good fight the whole way. And even the soldier of fortune Marvin Austin did, because he knows he's got to put out good tape any time he's on the field.

After the game I heard from one of the beat writers in the locker room that the buzz in there was one that everyone couldn't wait to get to the next game. On the surface that eagerness for the next game looks like a good thing. However, if what they really mean is they can't wait to put THIS game behind them, then I wonder if they're compartmentalizing this loss and deciding that it was just a crazy game that got out of control and it's not reflective of the team that won the three games prior.

I saw a Brian Hartline tweet last night that seemed consistent with that mentality.

I don't like that mentality in this instance, specifically because the Saints beat them by honing in on weaknesses that had persisted for the entire month of September. This was not some isolated performance. This performance was a continuation of previous performances. Therefore, I don't want the players to just forget all about it and move on to the next game. I want them to feel desperate about making real changes to the way they've been playing.

In this league you adapt or you die, because everyone is watching the film and figuring out how to attack you, and that process gets refined week by week.

The Baltimore Ravens head into a ROAD game at 2-2, with Joe Flacco having just thrown 5 interceptions against the Buffalo Bills, knowing that if they don't get their sh-t together then they, the Super Bowl champions, will be a sub-.500 team. I think their situation lends itself to a little bit more desperation and willingness to adapt than Miami's situation at 3-1 having come off what many players probably feel is an aberrant performance.

Bpk likes this.
  4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Miami three-point favorites.

5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    yeah this worries me too. From a team vs team perspective, i'm not too worried about the matchup, but the Ravens know they need a win and Flacco has been known to bounce back nicely and stuff it down folks throats, including mine. Hopefully we can do the same. I agree it will tell us alot about this team. If we're even a good team, we should win this.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I said we'd be 3-2 heading into the bye, but as things stand, I'll be disappointed by that given the current circumstances.

MelbournePhin and ckparrothead like this.
  7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Deathly.

8. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Baltimore has not been impresive this year.Last week Flaco looked bad and made some dumb throws.Miami had a bad second half and folded like a card table .
    Miami, I still feel is on the upswing while the Ravens stock is falling.
    Both teams want to redeam their season but Miami should win at home Sunday.
    Miami 24 Baltimore 17.

9. PhillyPhin

PhillyPhin Banned

Sep 30, 2013
    Miami 16 Baltimore 10 The Ravens stink, they're so inconsistent. Without that feared defense, and Rice hurt, Flacco is being asked to WIN games on his shoulder. Only problem he stinks. Most overrated QB in the history of the game. Lets serve him his Micky D's.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The Baltimore ravens are a undisciplined, cocky, Super Bowl hungover football team, Flacco thinks he can do whatever the hell he wants with his arm with absolutely no worry for consequences..

They got a kid opposite of Smith his name is Marlon brown who's 6'5 and good, Torrey had an excellent game last week so our secondary will need to come to play, and play better than last week..

Not sure what CKs comments about the guys mentality means, but someone better be pissed off on that team, and I'm hoping it's the head coach.

GMJohnson likes this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see, in many ways these are not the Ravens I know, the fmr Ravens team had our number the way the Texans seem to have it, this one is a tossup.

What I found interesting was not the players reactions, it was the Staff's reaction.

I've rarely heard a staff basically admit they were flat out out coached and out maneuvered, from Sherman to Coyle they all were not only dejected they were a touch shocked tbh.

Will be an interesting week of practices, and I think Austin will continue to surprise.

Tentatively I think he's Fat Albert Jr, Haynesworth always played well for Williams and Jim Washburn, perhaps Rodgers is his Washburn