1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dion Jordan..is he to good to be true..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Sep 26, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/20...company?_ga=1.102431105.1659806294.1346324620

Damn this guy always says the right things.

"He really enjoys it".... Lol, 3rd pick in the draft "really enjoys playing special teams", say what, and "will help in any way he can"...as in, no ego at all, kid has been humble from the get..

This mentality combined with his talents, athleticism and Size seemingly make him the perfect player, lets see if he's got the game to match against a cerebral Qb like Bree's.

Unlucky 13, Den54, muscle979 and 20 others like this.
  2. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    While I'm not a big believer in the Parcells' "rookies bite as pups" statement for every position (i.e. QB, WR, O-line, mostly offensive positions, I guess), with defensive guys, especially high round picks, I think that mantra probably holds fairly true. I'm sure there are exceptions, but, in general, we should be seeing flashes from guys like Jordan in his playing time as a rookie.

And we are with Dion Jordan! That's exciting and gives a glimpse of future expectations.

To put the cherry on top, it really sounds like Ireland, the scouts, and the coaching staff did their homework on this guy, because to this point, everything he says and the way he acts is top-notch for a football player. As the quotes above allude, he wants to get better and is emulating a guy who most of us think is the best at his position in football. He showed confidence when he spoke out about not wanting to lose to Andrew Luck. That was kind of cool and unexpected from around these parts. And the veteran players on defense -- kind of like on offense where Tannehill has won the guys over -- were won over by Jordan in training camp, and to this point he's done nothing to discourage those feelings. At this point, if Dion's shoulder heals properly, the proverbial; "the sky's the limit" phrase should apply.

3. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Gotta give Ireland credit for going with the risky pick over the safe OL at #3. Especially now when we see all 3 of OL drafted early struggle to some extent.

Factor in Wake getting injured early and the decision to draft Jordan may pay dividends earlier than the team expected.

Monday night is going to be big for him. If he can get 2+ sacks and create havock for New Orleans, the media spotlight will magnify over his special skill set.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just want to mention this..this is one nasty mother grabber on the football field, you wanna talk about playing with that edge and nasty attitude folks love, this dude has it, dude doesn't like his opponent, just because they are the opponent..lol, so we can add that.

5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm glad he didn't get Lane cause that guy isn't contributing much for the Eagles. Seen Vick get sacked too many times..

6. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    DJ, I respect your posts but there are some contradictions. I think Dion Jordan has limitless potential, but seriously, what has he accomplished for the Dolphins for him to have an ego about?

Also, he doesn't always say the right things. I thought that line about never losing to Andrew Luck and not planning on it shows he can be a bit cocky. Unfortunately, his actual production during that game didn't correlate to the smack. I have no doubt that his maturity will improve with his game play.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We could have Lane Johnson!

Said no one save for the commentariat on draft day, morons.

gafinfan, jdang307, djphinfan and 3 others like this.
  8. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well i guess you haven´t watched the games, the plays he already made in limited action are impressive, that goal line tackle against atlanta, the hit on ryan that sealed the win with the INT by Wilson and he is an absolute beast on ST, what he said about luck wasn´t cocky at all, its a fact he never lost to him at the college level, you think he should say, well i never lost to him in college, so its time to lose one in the pros ?

cuchulainn, USArmyFinFan and ToddPhin like this.
  9. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    You average around 50 posts a day?

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I love Jordan's demeanor. IMO that is one of the reasons his ceiling is so high. When you pair great physical ability with a willingness to put the work in to maximize those opportunities (at a high impact position), you end up with a player worthy of a top 5 pick.

ToddPhin, djphinfan and SICK like this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007

I think your thought about the line about never losing to Andrew Luck is very off and was totally the right thing to say. Why would he plan on losing a game?

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sometimes less, sometimes more.

100k baby..untouchable.

As for my point, the draftniks were SURE we traded up to take Lane Johnson, even I thought we'd take him, Ireland fooled everyone by taking Dio.

With Wake knicked, it looks prescient on Ireland's part, but the H Evans of the world hated the pick b/c they were made to look stupid and unknowledgible on draft day rather then looking at what Jordan offers a defense.

djphinfan likes this.
  13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You would think Evans would be used to it by now?

14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    His pass-rushing efficiency has been one of the best in the NFL this season.

15. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I thought that line about never losing to Andrew Luck and not planning on it shows he can be a bit cocky
    I had no problem with what he said. Sure maybe there was a little cockiness in it but it certainly wasn't arrogant. I would hope that all of our guys are a little cocky.

16. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    He's no Vernon Gholston, but i'll take him.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I've said form the moment we drafted him, that there was no way (outside of injury) he'd fail. All you have to do is look up the stories of him before and during college and you'd know he has a special drive. He's basically Zach Thomas' determination wrapped up in a super hero's body.

18. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    I know I'm about to get killed for this, but did anyone else feel like he didnt want to get drafted by us? Maybe he is just that even keeled, but he just has never struck me as someone who is happy to be where he is...

I want to see him rush from the right side, I think he would dominate on Monday night given the chance.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I hear ya, I'm just talking about how him being the third pick in the draft and how he's handling special teams play, and how he talks every chance he gets about how he wants to be a team player, he never says I..

What I have noticed about him is an inner confidence, so when that context came up with Luck, that inner confidence came out loud and clear...

Happy to not see any signs whatsoever of diva.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I remember writing, " no way Ireland takes a lineman in the first round, no way...and bam biscuit, moves up for nothin for Dion..

21. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well he did play for Chip Kelly. And the Eagles were poised to take him at #4.
    Perhaps he was a bit shocked and disappointed. Doesn't matter, he isn't going anywhere for a long time. I'm sure he will rejoice living in Miami during the winter when he patrols for hot tail in South Beach while people in Philly are lining up for cheese-steaks in 0 degree weather.

22. Third Man

Third Man Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Well, I doubt he'll ever be found dead eyed drunk at 7 am on a Friday, so that's a positive. But his shoulder worries me. Not long term, but this year. Maybe I'm just giving the coaches too much credit but it seems ridiculous his snap count is being held so low for any reason other than injury. Green or no (and he's very green, imo) his physical gifts alone make him one of the most effective pass rushers on the team.

The one thing I'd caution people about is assuming that if he gets more reps his pass rush productivity will stay the same. That's almost never true. Look at Derrick Shelby. His snap count more than doubled and he went from getting sacks and hits and hurries to getting nothing. The more you're out there the more the offensive linemen get a feel for what you're doing, and quarterbacks know to slide protection your way if you're being effective. These are professionals. Even Cameron Wake's "productivity" per snap went down from 20.9 on 127 snaps in 2009 to 14.3 on 310 snaps in 2010. In 2011 it went down again to 12.7 as he went up to 471 snaps. What Jordan has on his side is that he still has a lot to learn. He'll be getting better as people get better at defending him. The question is how much the shoulder is going to slow him down from getting better.

Drowning likes this.
  23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He's on Special Teams? With a bum shoulder we're throwing him out there on ST?

I'm not a coach so maybe I don't know sh** but I don't like that one bit. Oh well.

finfansince72, Drowning and djphinfan like this.
  24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Not only that, but a couple of years ago, after a spirited exchange on some forgotten topic, Padre told me, (with my measly 40k posts), that I needed to get out more. :huh:

25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think he was shocked. We all were. Ireland played it close to the vest. The trade up was somewhat surprising, and happened quickly, and then the few minutes we still had on the clock after the trade up was announced, everybody and his brother was sure the pick would be Lane Johnson. He's human too, it's logical he never expected Miami as a realistic possible destination as the draft was starting. I recall no one as the seconds ticked down to the point where it was announced, declaring that we're taking Jordan here. Maybe others in the chat room recall differently.

26. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I can't wait until after the bye week to see these defenders healthy and by then I expect that Jordan will be ready to come into his own.

If this D gets Wake and Soliai fully healthy and if they get the DBs healthy and Jordan keeps improving - it will be a Stud D.

With Jordan and Wake on passing downs - we should generate some serious pass rush.

27. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I wonder when we'll actually see that. I sometimes feel like this coaching regime has commitment issues. Like with Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas. You let Reggie Bush walk because they thought Miller was the real deal. All this time later, and it's "until someone emerges and gets hot, we'll split the carries evenly." If you give one or the other a chance to get hot, get into rhythm, then maybe you would see what you want.

Since Vern is the older and more experienced player, I feel like they'll keep DJ on the sidelines to give Vernon a chance, even despite the fact one player (Jordan) is obviously better and more dynamic. I truly don't expect DJ to get nearly as many snaps as he should. If he's healthy, he should start IMO. Vernon is what he is and it's not all that good. But I fear the coaching staff sees it differently.

28. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    First thing that struck me. I havent even noticed. Does any one have a breakdown of the ST plays hes been in? He cant be starting in ST? This staff can be full of the dumbest geniuses ever to have walked the earth. I wish they hold up a clipboard letting us know which one they are deciding on at any given moment because just like you J, im starting to say im not a coach so maybe i dont know sh!t but as often i as id like not to.

I wonder if Sherman says im not a fan so maybe im just a certified genius but...

Any way, if Jordan gets hurt on ST- yeah, that should justify lashes in the public square.

29. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    jared odrick being asked on the finsiders about the progress of dion jordan.."just watch on monday"

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Mile High Fin and djphinfan like this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Reggie bush...3.8 average.

31. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    With 150ish yards in recieving in two games.....

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    that is pretty good, could we have used him, sure, but he's not the answer to a running game imo.

CJTakoz likes this.
  33. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Reggie has only played two games. One of which he was playing hurt. So I'm not really sure what your point is, other than being contrarian. In addition, I didn't write that it was the wrong move. I wrote that it's the wrong move not giving Miller majority carries. Strong reading comprehension

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You wanted to keep Reggie bush, am I comprehending you ok?

35. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    No, try again?

Im saying Miami let a talented player leave because they had a promising young talent. Yet they have not committed to Miller being the feature back and give him equal time to a lesser player like Thomas.

Which is why im worried the dolphins will continue to limit Jordan's playing time despite having more talent than vernon.

my post had nothing to do with preferring bush over miller. it has to do with coaches and their decisions on playing time. I'm worried they'll give vernon and that sucks DJs playing time up.

Bpk likes this.
  36. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I can't wait to see how this team looks by week 17 man. SO exciting!

37. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

But sometimes, winning is about running the system as well as using the talent. Its a balance.

As long as it's working I won't complain. Run them the way you are. Just block better.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I get what your saying, I posted his average just to point it out when you were talking about him...I don't think miller deserves to take reps away from Thomas, I'm good with how it is at this point..

39. spongebob Phins Fan

spongebob Phins Fan Member

Oct 24, 2012
    In Here
    [​IMG]

40. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    And thats fine if you think that. I just used Reggie Bush to point out how high Miami was on Miller, and yet doesn't feature him.