1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realistic Expectations vs NO on Monday

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    So what are your expectations?

The national media hasn't spent any time focusing on our injuries, like they did for Atlanta last week. With Solia, Wake, Patterson and possibly Ellerbe out, what are your expectation for this game?

I'm assuming that NO will score at will at home against our banged up team. The mismatches at TE and our inability to get any pressure on Brees will be difficult to overcome.

I'm looking for us to keep it close on offense. Can Tannehill put up points in a shootout? Can we continue to be effective on 3rd down? I expect a 14+ point loss, but would be very happy if we can put up between 27-30 points.

What are you guys expecting vs NO? What would make this game successful, even if we lose?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  2. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Nothing short of victory. I know it will be tough, but I think we have a good team with a quickly ascending QB who is not afraid of the big stage. Bring it on!

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I expect a hard fought game, but without Wake it's hard to assume we will generate enough pressure to slow Brees down.

I love surprises though.

RGF likes this.
  4. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Something along the lines of NO - 30 Miami -24.

I don't think we can do enough to stop the Saints O given out injury situation.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Win the game, it is what good teams do, losing teams make excuses.

6. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I honestly think we'll end up winning a shoot-out in this one. I can only presume Sherman will dial up a game plan that calls plays that will beat/slow down a blitz, and he will - FINALLY - get Ryan out of the pocket so he can use his athleticism, and his awesome instincts when he rolls out. I think we'll end up seeing Wallace running free as a result, or way too much attention brought his way, freeing up the supporting cast to pick the NO defense apart.

Maybe we can slow Brees down w/ some pressure, but we're going to need someone to step up to do it. That's why I see us winning in the range of 38-34 or something .... and how long has it been since we've been able to do something like that! I mean, maybe it doesn't happen that way, but for the first time in this millennium, I think it's actually possible, which is saying something!

ElNino and Bumrush like this.
  7. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I get that. What I'm saying is, what would temper your anger with a loss, given that we are banged up going against a historic offense in a very loud and hostile building.

8. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I think to actually answer your question, the only way I would feel remotely good w/ a loss is if the team was obviously fighting hard, nobody got hurt, and we simply got beat by a better, HOF-bound QB doing his thing, at home, on MNF, when they never lose.

9. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Expect to win. Will stay detached from the outcome as much as possible though. Also, Saints are better on paper today, so odds are in their favor, technically.

10. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Good teams lose games, too, sometimes with valid reasons. Winning in the NFL is not quite as easy as willing it so.

11. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Well... Look at what Indy did to San Fran. A similar outcome would have me ecstatic

RGF likes this.
  12. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well..I know the players expect a win..so..in that regard..so do I

HULKFish likes this.
  13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Every team has guys miss time with injuries, it is on the staff and the player to make sure their backup is ready to go at all times.

It's not as if there are 25 starters and 27 guys milling around talking about their golf swings.

That won't make Trusnik as good as Ellerbe, however it is on Trus to make sure he is ready to go if Ellerbe can't go.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I expect to compete for the win.

HULKFish, gafinfan and RGF like this.
  15. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    This is usually my way of thinking also but this game ,realistically, might be tough to expect a win. Lets face it were not going undefeated so this game could very well be a loss. But man, I sure hope I`m wrong.

16. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I don't think there are many real possibilities for the Dolphins to win this game. The defense is banged up at the wrong time, and even at full strength they would have a very tough game ahead. The O-line continues to be a big weakness and the Saints are much improved at rushing the passer.

There are a lot of things that have to happen for the Dolphins to win.

1. A lot of players on defense have to step up big time and have great games.
    2. O-line needs to step up big time. I do mean big time.
    3. Running game has to play much much better. It's important to win time of possession to keep Brees on the sidelines and our defense rested.
    4. Tannehill has to play his best game so far. He has been very good, but he needs to be better.
    5. We need luck. No, not Andrew Luck, Lady luck. Dolphins need to catch a lot of breaks and have a lot of things go their way.

I do keep hope we'll stay close and have a chance late to win, but it is only hope. Realistically, I think we lose this game.

17. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think the Dolphins' offense is good enough yet for me to expect a win with so many injuries on defense.

If Dolphins keep it a one score game, I'll be pleased with the outcome.

rdhstlr23 likes this.
  18. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    As long as we don't beat ourselves i am content with the whatever outcome this game has. Dolphins have far exceeded my expectations so far.

19. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    If we run the 2 min drill the entire game we have a chance! We seemed to click better as an offense when doing so.

We can also just simply, pray.

20. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I want a win.

I anticipate us to lose a close one.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, if we are close going into the 4th Qtr, say a Td down, that is a shot at winning the game.

Real problem is going to be can the D keep us in the game, and more hopefully can Specials make some plays this week.

Here is our problem on D:

-You are not going to fool Brees with complex Zones
    -Wake being nicked hurts the passrush
    -DT's Odie and Starks are now vulnerable to delays and draws trying to generate pressure
    -If we blitz, Brees can pick apart our weakened secondary

Coyle has his hand full, for us, the best thing that could happen is for Dio Jordan has his coming out game rushing the passer, that would solve a tonne of those problems.

Basically our fate sort of hangs on THill on the Offense and Dion Jordan and Specials making stuff happen as things sit anyway.

RGF and Bumrush like this.
  22. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    If Jordan can be key this early in the season, you really have to applaud Ireland for not going the safe route and for giving us leverage should something happen to Wake.

Big moment for the kid.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, not a fan of putting it on a Rook this early, we need him to play at a high level in this one.

Also have to deal with the Graham matchup.

24. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Our defense is too banged up to win this game as much as I'd love to see it happen.
    I think we lose by 10.

25. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'd be surprised if we won. They're playing us with injury, and while every team has injury issues they need to overcome at some point the roster depth can usually make up for it. I don't know if we have that capability or not. What I'll be looking for is A) hopefully I'll be eating crow, and B) the post game presser to see what kind of character this team is made of. I really hope we win obviously, but I just think it is bad timing with the injuries and the national stage and all that. It's a lot of pressure because people are starting to pay attention and I don't know how well tested this team is in regards to those things. We're used to being under dogs, flying under the radar, or considered a loss on the schedule in regards to most other teams.

After a surprising 3-0 start (I was thinking Falcons win before that game) and a national stage with it being MNF and in their stadium...

26. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    That's all well and good, but your post made it sound as if they should win regardless of opponent or situation. And while I agree with you that the back-ups need to be ready, there's still going to be a drop-off in quality most of the time no matter how "ready" the coaching staff gets them. It might not matter if we were facing someone like a Jacksonville or the Raiders, but when you're matched up with a team on the same level or better or a team equipped to take advantage of the drop-off, it's a legitimate handicap.

27. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    If the offense goes out there and plays well, we'll have a shot. That can be said about any game, ever. I'm hoping Tanny goes out a puts up 21+ pts and maybe our defense gives us a chance. I see no shame in a 21-28 loss or something like that but I think we're crowning the saints a little too much. They're best victory came against the falcons. Ditto for us.

Brees is an all pro and he's capable of torching us, that's just fact. But our QB is playing at a pretty high level too. Highest they've seen thus far this season.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  28. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, this is one of the games that most pegged as a loss. I still agree. While this team has exceeded my expectations, particularly against a good Atlanta team, I don't see us keeping that up with NO and Brees. If the D plays more like it did in Cleveland, we have the O that can pull out a win when needed, despite it's deficiencies on the ground. The real issue with this team right now is not the O, but the D. The D must play much better in order for us to pull this out. As good as Atlanta's O was, NO's is even better now that Payton is back.

If we can keep the game close, I like our chances but that's asking a lot from this young team with quite a few injuries to starting quality guys... I know that all teams have injuries, but they are more pronounced to this team because of it's youth and still developing talent.

I think we see a 30-24 loss, unless there is an INT late in the game and they hit for a late TD (38-24)...

However, I thought the same against both Indy and Hotlanta....?? Hope to goodness I'm wrong again...

29. Tom Brady was a B/U

30. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Under Philbin, the Fins are 8-0 when they score 23 or more points. This game could put that streak to a test. The Saints looked great last week, but were held down on offense in weeks one and two, so we'll see. I haven't gone into a game expecting us to win against an average or better team in a long time. However, I also don't expect the team to lose, as I might have in years past.

I expect them to play tough and not get blown out. If the ball bounces the right way, sneak out a victory.

It'll be easier to stomach a loss if the Falcons can knock off New England on SNF.

31. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think Tannehill and the offense will look good Monday night, but Brees and company will run up the score vs our battered defense.
    New Orleans 38- Miami - 27

32. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    My thoughts exactly.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I do not see the injuries as a handicap, I see it as opportunities for 2nd stringers and Coyle to overcome them.

Not sure how long you've been a Dolphins fan, if one recalls Shula such a discussion would never happen, this is where the Franchise needs to be.

DOLPHAN1 and gafinfan like this.
  34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For all we know, Dio winds up with 3 sacks and a FF as there really is no film on his game.

35. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I would be disappointed in this. We're only missing 1-2 starters on D, not 5-6. the only "key" guy is wake. Admittedly, our best player, but we're not inept without him.

36. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    In 1976, under Shula, an injury riddled Dolphin team finished 6-8. In 1980, also under Shula, an injury riddled Dolphin team went 8-8.

Even Shula could only do so much at times.

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    76 was the post SB Era squad, everyone was pretty much gone at that point.

80, iirc, was the yr Griese tore his rotator cuff and Csonka had retired.

Otherwise, if a guy was on the roster, he was expected to fillin and play at a high level, no excuses.

We shall see if that is where this roster is at, or will we see excuses.

38. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Hope the Dolphins lay the smack down.

39. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    even if we lose, which we probably will, I'll take a 3-1 record for the first quarter of the season.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  40. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    You guys will beat them I think.

FinsUp and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.