1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Week 3 - Falcons at Dolphins - Charting the Dolphins Offense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by brandon27, Sep 23, 2013.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I was able to get around to week 3's game rather quickly this week. Here's the stats from our personnel packages, and performance from Sundays dramatic win over the Falcons. Lots, and lots of 11 personnel today. Probably due the fact we were behind and needed to pass quite a bit to get back into it. I found it interesting that on that final drive, we were in 01 for several plays, and even some of the plays we were in 11, Hartline wasn't out there, it was Wallace, Gibson and Matthews with Clay and Miller.

Not sure why we didnt run more out of 12 this week. Miller ripped off the huge run from 12, i've noticed we seem to be running better out of 12. That being said, I'd like to see our running game get going out of 11 though, keep defenses more honest, right now its too easy to see that our tendency is to pass out of that grouping.

Here's the data... anything interesting to you this week?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Appreciate the data, but could you tell us a little more? Like who is where in what personnel package, etc.?

Also, have you done these data crunches in the other games?

Thanks!

3. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo 'Saban' Guy

Apr 14, 2010
    Western New York
    brandon27, Bumrush and padre31 like this.
  4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
  5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Are there game stats anywhere? Seems like Miamidolphins.com just shows a running total for the season.

6. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    For each game... you can go to nfl.com, go to the game center for each game, and then click on the game info tab and you can download the gamebook for each game. It's got all the stats from the game.

I use the gamebook for the official stats, watch the games again, fill out a spreadsheet i made to track the personnel groupings, then the results of each play from the game book... the spreadsheet fills out the rest.

not sure if that's what you were looking for?

If not, stats are all over the web for NFL games.

7. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    0-9 run-pass ratio on 3rd down. I know we were behind for all but 38 seconds but that seems dangerous if it's a trend.

8. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    There's a thread for each game of this season already posted here.

Here's Week 1: http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?78147-Week-1-Dolphins-Browns-Charting-the-Phins-Offense

Here's week 2: http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?78163-Week-2-Dolphins-Colts-Charting-the-Dolphins-Offense

I'd be here all week doing one game if i tried to track who's on the field at any given time, this gives you an idea though. Typicall, if its one TE and a RB, its Clay and either Miller or Thomas, with Wallace, Hartline and Gibson at WR. When we go two TE's, Sims is in with Clay... just follow the depth chart for the most part. Two RB's however, generally for us is Miller or Thomas, and the Fullback.. Clutts.

9. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    It was similar against Cleveland (1 run, 13 passes on 3rd), but a little more balanced at Indy (3 to 8)... Alot of it I believe is due to us simply not gaining enough yards when we run on first or second. I think alot of it is created by our lack of a ground game. Leaves us in situations where we have 3rd and long alot, not much choice but to pass.

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We had 12 3rd downs vs Atlanta (converting 7). How do you only have 9 total 3rd downs?

11. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    Then the questions that need to be looked at are:
    What distance is our average 3rd down, and how does that compare to the league average?
    At what distance do we run on 3rd down?
    How does our rush% on 3rd down compare to the league averages?

If you're not prepared to run on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 then it allows the opponent to sell all out on pass defence.

12. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    penalties?

13. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Only thing that I dont like about this is the running stats. The 49 yard run is an outlier when measuring our run production and without that long run we have 14 carries for 41 yards and an average of 2.9 yards per carry.

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If it were penalties, it wouldn't be counted in the 12 (unless they were penalties after the play; which their were none).

15. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Its likely the plays we took sacks. The spreadsheet doesn't track them. I note down the personnel package we came out in, but not the result of the play since it only tracks runs, run play results, pass completions or incompletions and the resulting yardage. If i tracked the lost yards as a result of a sack, then the passing numbers would be all out of whack. It was something I didnt think about when I built the spreadsheet. In order for me to add the ability to track it, along with penalties against the offense, i'd have to had new columns, with formulas to track it, calculate it for each and every personnel grouping. Same with penalties. So I made the decision to do this this year without those two things factored in, until i could find the time to re-work the spreadsheet to factor it in.

So in short, a play with a sack against, or penalty against, isn't shown. Only if we got the play off, ran or passed.

16. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I agree, unfortunately the spreadsheet i built doesn't have that ability to track. Well... it may, since I do input the down and distance on each play, I just dont have anything in there to track and calculate it.

For those that didnt read the first thread from the Cleveland game... this spreadsheet was a two year work in progress for me. I finally threw it together and got it functional to the point I could do this for this season, I wanted to last season, it just didnt come together. It seems some touch ups to make it perfect, sure, but finding time, and finding a way to make excel work for what I want it to do, is a bit tough at times for me. Sorry guys.

17. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    But a play that we run that results in a sack has a particular formation and is a play we got off (just like a negative run or pass). Penalty plays really don't exist, but sack plays do. Actually, sacks are simply negative pass plays, so not sure why'd you need to rebuild your sheet really (passing numbers out of whack how? We passed for 195 last game for example, so your numbers are already out of whack IMO)

18. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    I've done similar spreadsheets in the past. It's a huge amount of work so kudos to you for doing the work.

The answers may not be part of what you track yet. I know these spreadsheets are always a work in progress and you keep tweaking them. The important thing is to do the tweaks that are meaningful to you, not to some guy on the web who is curious about one aspect.

As a side note if the answer to the number of plays questions is 'sacks' then it meant we went 0/12 for run/pass on 3rd downs ...

19. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im aware that a sack is a negative pass play, the reason for having to rebuild the sheet is because I only gave it the ability to track a run, or a pass that was complete, or incomplete. So, I have no way of tracking a sack. I could track it as incomplete, but then it throws the completion/incompletion numbers out of whack. So, unfortunately for the time being its not possible. Not without throwing another number out of whack anyways. The passing totals the sheet shows are higher in yards, because the negative of the sack yards aren't in there. I completely overlooked a sack when I built it, because I was more concerned with run or pass, and yards gained/lost. However when I did the passing section, I set it for for complete vs incomplete, but left nowhere for a situation where its a pass but the ball wasnt actually thrown, and it ended up a sack. It bothers me that it's not there, but I know what a pain in the *** it's going to be to try and fix. Especially to try and track all the damn forumla's in this thing. If I can find an easy fix, I will try and do it, if not, it may need to wait until the offseason, or I just quit this all together if its that big of a deal.

20. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I don't know the numbers but watching Denver it looks like they throw on a majority of their 3rd downs.

21. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Thanks. I guess they only give the top two for rushing and receiving.