1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it me or?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Sep 22, 2013.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Everytime we throw incomplete pass on first down we run on 2 and 10!!!Or is it my imagination?

Mcduffie81 and Steve-Mo like this.
  2. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    That's been a Dolphins staple for as long as I can remember, regardless of OC.

3. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    That and using timeouts before the end of the game.

4. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Its not just us. A run is the most common call on 2nd down.

steveincolorado likes this.
  5. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Those timeouts the past few weeks have come in crucial defensive stops, and heavily contributed to the win.

6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    we are, without a doubt, one of the worst 1st down teams ive ever seen...

we are, thankfully, one of the best 3rd down teams we've seen around in a long time

Fin D likes this.
  7. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't know a official stat, but 2nd and 10 is a running play most of the time, not just with us. Some stat monkey can come up with a official stat for it.

8. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Its doesn't work for us time to change it up.Thank god for tannehill!!!

9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    It's really the only safe playcall you have on 2nd and 10 after an incompletion, you've got to get some yards in order to make your third down conversion easier, its how you extend drives.

Bpk and Clark Kent like this.
  10. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Its safe when the other team knows its coming and your line can't run block for ****?Come on that's a stupid statement when it puts you at 3 and 8 or greater every time and then you know we are going to pass because we can't pass block either.
    Tannehill is playing great with this ****ty line and predictable play calling.Mix it up Sherman or our boy is going to get killed!!

11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    There were several plays which I didn't agree with today. I was also frustrated by the play of the OL for much of the game. The defense had lapses in the running game, punctuated by some lousy tackling. Nolan Carroll spent most of the game watching Jones make catches and not trying to break up the passes.

So while I saw several areas that the coaches need to work on to get this team better. All that really matters is that when the game was over, the Dolphins had more points than the Falcons and they won the game.
    I have said for years that the only thing that matters is wins and losses. The Dolphins put another "W" in the win column today and they did it by playing without Wake for most of the game, and Soliai and Patterson for the entire game. Hopefully all these starters will be back for the Saints game next week.

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    It's not a stupid statement, unless you consider most OC's stupid. It's an easy way to make your 3rd down play more manageable, if you execute, of course our OL struggles with that. I'm not saying its the right playcall everytime, but its very common to see, we should however try and mix it up a bit... for example, maybe a WR screen etc, quick pass to Wallace right off the line considering the huge cushion he's getting by most CB's. Something high percentage, that can get you a few yards, to make that third down manageable. It's part of the risk you take if you want to pass on first down, and its incomplete.

13. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm a believer that, unless you're trying some unique play like and a designed deep pass or a flea flicker, that running on first down is smart thing to do. I guess you could call it playing it safe.*

If you fail on a pass on first down you're now playing Canadian Football and it's almost guaranteed that you'll have to pass on 2nd down. Which as the OP points out is what we see from the Dolphins this season.*