1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Rankings from around the web.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin D, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-corner-nfl-power-rankings-seattle-no-1-044846703--nfl.html
    #11 up from #21
    CBS: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/23694275/nfl-power-rankings-dolphins-make-waves-with-fast-start
    #10 up from #17
    ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/3
    #12 up from #17
    Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1775539-nfl-power-rankings-where-each-team-stands-after-2nd-week
    FOX Sports: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings
    #13 up from #25
    SB Nation: http://www.sbnation.com/2013/9/17/4736954/nfl-power-rankings-week-3
    #12 up from #16
    More coming.....

2. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Niiiiice!! Phins getting some love.

3. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The only power ranking I care about is 2-0 and tied for first in the AFCE.

The rest of this, to quote the immortal Spolestra is just "noise"

Trust me, if we lose on Sunday we will spiral downwards as quickly as they moved us up.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No doubt, but its nice to get some positive press for once.

And technically we aren't first in our division.

5. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Fox really had Miami at 25 after week 1? Sheesh.

6. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Give me the negative pub everyday. Positive press does nothing but make you play flat & overconfident.
    No disrespect. To each his own.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're aware that you don't play for the team and that many guys on the team don't care either way what kind of press there is...right?

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    From PFT:

9. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012
    Stay on topic. Attack the post not the poster. :lol:
    I was just giving my opinion on how worthless power ranking are. They are meaningless except to stroke the ego.
    I could really care less about them honestly.

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't doubt that. :shifty:

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    2 things:

1. Fair enough, but you have to admit, that's not the same thing as your first post.
    2. 2 posts on a topic you don't care about is....interesting.....

12. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Funny to see Florio rank them 12 after 2 games.. Half these morons in the media have been spending all summer bashing Ireland and mocking us for winning free agency, using historical data to prove we were going to tank.

Too bad these morons didn't realize that winning FA didn't involve picking up old dinosaurs, it involved upgrading positions with youth and energy to better fit a 2nd year head coach.

F- them. I value their revised rankings as much as I valued their predictions that we would be an under .500 team.

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This forum was more or less the only place excited that the Dolphins beat the Browns.

Bpk likes this.
  14. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    You must be confusing this forum with somewhere else. This forum was was ambivalent, if not critical of the week one victory.

Fin D likes this.
  15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    if you want to win a super bowl eventually you will get some positive press. Your team has to learn to deal with both correctly.

Fin D likes this.
  16. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    In the words of Sloshie Shloman "MEH".

17. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The only thing I might say is that many guys on the team DO look at this pub this team gets and it means something to them. Not that it makes getting to the SB any easier, but they pay attention to what the press and these boards are saying...

That said, even tho these rankings don't really mean much, it's still good to see some positive press coming our way. The bad thing is that anything positive they say won't mean much if we get our butts handed to us by Hotlanta....

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    This forum should be plenty excited because a good portion of it was predicting Miami would start the season 2-3 at best.

Fin D likes this.
  19. Larryfinfan

I watch PFT LIve on Directv in the evenings and they generally are somewhat upbeat about our chances. Florio has changed somewhat and is actually pretty good to listen to. However he, like all mainstream media, only talk about teams that are winning or are embarrassing the league in some way....

20. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    They're power rankings. They're going to have teams with better records higher. We ought to want to love them. Because the only reason we'd really love them is because the Dolphins are doing well in them. Anytime the Dolphins are in the Top 10 in the Power Rankings, count me in as a lover of the power rankings.

The one other thing is, like with Prisco and the CBS rankings, he saw the Dolphins preseason, liked what he saw, but remembered last season and kind of backtracked. Now, he's backtracking on backtracking. That's because the Dolphins, to this point, have served notice to the NFL. Any back-to-back road games are tough in the NFL, especially the second game. Experts know this. Vegas, too, knows this and considers it in their lines (at least I have to think they do from the Vegas guys I hear talk on the radio). Well, we went on the road in back-to-backers and beat the tougher team in the second game. That's a wake-up call to everyone that had the Dolphins in the Bottom 10 of the NFL.

And if we beat the ATL... well, just wait.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's the part I find interesting. People will admit they were wrong about a prediction as that involves little change. But how long will it take them to admit their basic beliefs are wrong? Much of the doom and gloom predictions were based on their basic beliefs about Ireland. Others were basing it on the importance and relative talent of the OL. Some on the belief that we over spent in FA. Will the OL bashers change their tune if we were to keep winning or will they focus on individual bad plays and mostly post about them or keep claiming that it will bite us against good teams (always pretending that we haven't played any and the next team is really good)? If we have a winning season will that force the admission that their basic beliefs about Ireland were wrong? What about making the playoffs? Winning the SB? What would it take? Unfortunately, my guess is that even if we won the SB there would still be a few who would claim we were lucky or some other rationalization that would allow them to believe they were still right.

Fin D likes this.
  22. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    http://nypost.com/2013/09/17/nfl-power-rankings-dolphins-make-surprise-splash/

Bumrush likes this.
  23. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Hilarious.. Yup, Grimes, Wallace, Ellerbe and Wheeler have had no impact. LMFAO. Idiots

24. Larryfinfan

Funny thing is, Wallace gets all the attn because of his price tag, but a) he's contributed. In the Browns game, even tho you can't quantify it, he impacted Hartline and Gibson's bigger day just by being there and then follows that up with 9/115/1 in this game and b) as you said...he's not looking at the other guys that HAVE had impacts... And if you want to get technical, Ireland deserves even more credit for getting Keller, who likely would have had significant impacts thruout the season had he not gotten hurt on a cheap shot in the PS....

However, this will all be moot if we lay an egg Sunday...

25. The reason many people can still be considered doubters about the Dolphins is because they have not yet won any games in a convincing manner. As of today the only thing anyone can really say about them is that they are showing promise. Beating Indy was a good start to putting that mentality to rest and if they beat ATL that will go even further but until they dominate the lesser teams, and play the better teams solid from start to finish, they will be scrutinized and viewed as a middle of the pack team.

26. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

27. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    I think we can get the recognition by just continuing to win. Who really are the "lesser" teams we should dominate? I can name one: Jacksonville. And I think we'd dominate them.

One would have thought the Jets and the Bills were lesser teams. New England struggled with both, and outside the division, they're 2-0. Cleveland, maybe? The Dolphins got by them on the road, but it wasn't dominating, and the Ravens beat them 14-6. Oakland? They took Indy to the wall and are 1-1 after beating the aforementioned Jags. Of the few "dominating" wins in the NFL, the losing teams' names are 49ers, Ravens, Giants, and Redskins. None of those are teams anyone would think would be dominated over and over. Maybe as the season rolls on, injuries occur, and teams' records affect their psyche, maybe then. So far, either there aren't any dominating teams (except the Broncos) or there just aren't a lot of Jacksonvilles in the NFL.

If we get to the bye at 4-1 (who'dathunkit before the season? -- nationally, I mean), I think the doubters will start to drop off as the wins mount, no matter what the game-by-game scores are.

Ophinerated and shula_guy like this.
  28. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I like this one. Never seen a rating of 94.2 being called sturdy before.

29. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Man I wish!

30. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I would love to see the Dolphin's beat Atlanta at home this week and get the true Home Field advantage back that used to be a real advantage for the Dolphins.

31. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Been pointing out all day most on this forum a month ago were saying if we could be 2-3 after the first five, we would likely make the playoffs or at worst have a winning record.

Well now the worst we can be is 2-3 after five and I suspect we win at least one more, likely Ravens, we'll start 3-2 and our schedule is pretty favorable after that. OT couldn't care less about power rankings, only the win-loss record matters to me.

Ophinerated and Fin D like this.
  32. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I'm pretty close to you on this one. I think 4-1 with a loss at N.O. If we come out there...man...

4-1 during this stretch would mean to me we only have a few games to REALLY be concerned about...2-NE, Cincy, random division loss to either Buff or NYJ (I'd guess Buff). I can even see 4-4 at the worse case scenario after 8 games, with a decent chance to go 6-2 or 7-1 over the last 8. Either way, I'm liking my 10-6 prediction's safety.

PhinsRock likes this.
  33. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I know, thats pretty hilarious. Anything short of perfection is crap?

BTW, Peter King ranked us #5! Thats higher than most Fins fans would put the team LOL.

Win this week against Atlanta, which is looking increasingly plausible as they keep losing players, and the arrow goes way up. Then, as others have put it, we're "playing with house money" the following Monday at New Orleans.

34. PhinFan1968

I have us around 11. If we can take Atlanta and play with N.O. in a win or a very close/OT loss, I can see 5'ish. I'm just ready for the Atlanta game...!!!

35. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I don't think there are many teams in the league that would be able to dominate Indy on their home turf. I mean the Colts had won 8 of the last 9 there.

djphinfan and Fin D like this.
  36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I very much agree and have been trying to tell folks that win was a no joke win, that Qb is for real the best I've seen big picture, he is relentless man, and we stopped him in his locomotive tracks, on their side of the tracks..

We beat that team on the road, there isn't another team I'm worried about this year..

We have a great defense..grown *** defense..wait til the talents of Jordan and Taylor get up to speed.

muscle979 likes this.
  37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    But that will be based on what? IMO it's based on people not being convinced b/c the team was bad in previous years. Frankly that is piss poor evaluation. It's just as poor as saying a team will be good b/c they were before.

PhinsRock and Fin D like this.
  38. PhinFan1968

Right...New England has been consistently rated very high this year, because of their history. If Miami had played 2 games like theirs and were 2-0, we'd be ranked around 18'ish.

I've watched a LOT of games this year, and nobody really sticks out except Denver...maybe Seattle too. GB/SF slightly behind. After that, it's a big mash-up in my opinion, until you get down to the bottom 3 or 4.

Stitches and Fin D like this.
  39. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
  40. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.